Average Joe
Chapter 6: Where do we go from here?

Copyright© 2011 by DG Hear

I left off looking for a gift for Ariel's graduation. I had no idea what to get. An older saleslady said she had an idea for me.

"Buy her a gift card from her favorite restaurant. We sell them all here at the store. Also, buy her two movie tickets to the theatre good any time."

"I don't quite understand how that helps me," I said.

"Well, she's not going to the movies alone and I'm sure she's not going out to eat by herself. See, if she invites you to go with her. Just understand she might ask someone else but you will know where you stand."

I did what the lady suggested and bought two movie tickets to be used within a month and a fifty-dollar gift certificate to the Red Lobster. Ariel told me once she liked eating there. I picked up a card to put the certificates in and signed it, Love Joey.

I headed over to her house where the reception was being held. Mary and the rest of her family were already there. Robert was there and introduced me to his date. He told me it was one of the other engineers that he worked with. They have become good friends. I have to say Robert did well. She was one good looking woman.

Lee and Claire greeted me and said Ariel was around there somewhere. I talked to different people and put my card in a box with dozens of others. I saw Ariel and when she saw me she came over and gave me her usual hug but gave me a light kiss on the lips. Again I had to wonder why.

She thanked me for coming and said she wished she could spend a lot of time with me but since it was her party she had to make the rounds. I told her I understood and maybe we could get together for dinner and even a movie some time. I was hoping when she opened my card she would get the hint.

"I'd love that," she said. About that time some of her classmates came up to greet her and I watched her give them her usual hugs and kisses on the cheek.

I hung with Mary and Nancy through most of the celebration. I knew Mary could see through me but didn't say anything. The food was great and I really enjoyed spending time with Mary and Ariel's family.

I talked to Ariel before I left and wished her the best. "Please call me when you have time to get together. I know your life is pretty full right now." She gave me a hug and again a light kiss on the lips.

It was almost a week before I heard from her. In fact it was a Thursday evening. "Joey, hope I didn't wake you up. This is Ariel."

"No, I was awake. Besides I wouldn't mind being woken up if it was by you." I heard her laugh lightly.

"I just got around to opening all my cards and gifts. I just wanted to thank you so much. You didn't have to get me anything."

"But, I wanted too. We all have to eat and I figured you need a night out to relax. I'm happy you liked it."

"Well, the reason I'm calling is because I don't want to go to the movies alone. I was wondering if you would like to take in a movie and have dinner at the Red Lobster on Saturday. My treat, or should I say, your treat," she laughed.

"Let me check my calendar, yep I'm free Saturday." We set up a time and I would be picking her up at her house. If I could find that saleslady, I would kiss her for the idea.

I picked Ariel up and we decided to go to dinner first. We ordered a drink, appetizers, our meal and even a dessert. We blew the whole fifty dollar gift certificate. I thanked Ariel for the wonderful dinner. She wanted to thank me again but I explained to her that she could have gone with anyone and I was happy she chose me.

We talked while we were eating. I knew she was a busy person and asked her what type of a schedule she kept.

"Well, I work five and a half days a week. I only work till noon on Saturdays. I go and exercise after work twice a week, on Mondays and Wednesdays. I recently started going out for Karaoke with some of my friends at the clinic. Karaoke is every Thursday and I promised myself I'd try to go at least every other week. I really love singing."

"Wow, that's a pretty busy schedule," I mentioned.

"Oh, that's not all. Friday is my day to just relax. Saturday is my date night. It's the night I go out with friends like we're doing now. Sunday, is family day. I do my best to spend time with my family. Of course sometimes we visit other relatives or they come to our house. That about sums up my week. What about you?"

"We don't want to get into it. I work, sleep and sometimes go out. I do visit with my Aunt and Uncle at least every few weeks. Somewhat of a boring life. Being here with you is one of the best times I've ever had besides taking you to the wedding. So, would you like to go out next Saturday?"

She looked at me somewhat sadly. "I'm sorry Joey, but I'm already going out with friends."

"Oh, ok, sorry I asked."

"No, let me explain. Joel and Peter from school gave me four tickets to a Cincinnati Reds baseball game for graduation. I thought about asking you to go but you told me you didn't like sports. So I asked Joel and Peter to go since they gave me the tickets. We're just friends, I want you to know that. I've known them for years."

"Who's using the other ticket? You said you had four."

"I asked Nancy to go. She loves baseball so I asked her."

Damn, I'm so stupid. I could easily sit through a game if I was with Ariel. I didn't want to act too down. We still had a movie to see. "Ariel, I don't hate sports, I'm just not good at playing them. If you ever want to go to another game, I would be glad to go with you. I've never been to a professional sports game of any kind."

"Now, I feel bad in not asking you, I'm sorry."

I tried to cheer her up, even though I was a little down myself. "Don't worry about it. We'll go to a game another time; I promise. Let's go see a movie now."

She picked out the movie she wanted to see and we found out that we each got a free popcorn and beverage because of the gift certificate. We really weren't hungry but took the popcorn and drink anyway. Popcorn just goes with going to a movie.

During the movie she reached over and held my hand and smiled. I just held on to it for awhile not sure what to do. I was really in uncharted territory here. After the movie I drove her back to her house. I rushed around and opened her door.

"Joey, we're friends. I like that you open doors for me but you don't have to do it all the time. If we go to a formal event, it's somewhat expected but not for everyday purposes."

"I'm learning, thanks for not thinking of me as a fool."

"You're no fool. You're a sweet wonderful friend that I care about. Stop putting yourself down, I don't like that you do that." replied Ariel.

I walked her to the porch. We stared at each other for a few seconds and she leaned forward and gave me a gentle kiss and then looked at me. "Thanks again for a wonderful night. Maybe we can have lunch or something this week. Well, I better go in."

I left and got in my car and wondered what I did right and wrong. She kissed me but yet is going out with some other guys the following week. Even though I really cared for her I think she saw me only as a good friend.

On Sunday I had dinner with Mary, Henry and Nancy. They asked me about my date with Ariel and I told them it was great. That's when Nancy mentioned that the following Saturday she was going to a Reds Baseball game with Ariel and her friends. She was really excited. She even said she wished I was going. That's when I told her we could go together next time.

"I thought you didn't like baseball? asked Nancy.

"Not on TV, it's to slow but I've never been to a professional game. I think I would like to try it."

Henry spoke up. "Why don't we all go? I have a friend that could probably get us some tickets for next month. What do you think Mary? Would you like to go?"

"I'd love to. It's been years since I've been to a game. Even the hot dogs and beer are good at the stadium. Nancy, when you see Ariel Saturday ask her if she would like to go with us next month." Mary looked over at me and smiled.

I was a little happier but I needed to see her and take her out before next month. I gave it some thought and I called her Tuesday evening and asked her if she would like to have lunch with me on Wednesday.

"Don't you need to sleep in the afternoon?" asked Ariel.

"I promised the boss I'd make a couple deliveries for him in the morning so I'll just sleep later in the day." It really wasn't true but it was a very small lie. I just wanted to see her.

I stopped by the clinic and couldn't believe how big it was. It was a miniature hospital. I went to the reception desk and mentioned I was there to see Ariel. The receptionist was very nice to me and asked me to sit down. It was only a few minutes later that Ariel came down the hallway. She was smiling. Damn, she was so pretty.

"Been waiting long?" she asked.

"No, just a few minutes; this place is big."

"I only have an hour so we can eat and talk at the restaurant across the street. We can just walk there."

"Fine with me."

We sat down and ordered the special. That way there was a short wait for our food. The place was quite busy. A lot of the clinic people ate there. Ariel told me a little about the clinic. It was more than just a doctor's office. They did radiology and out-patient surgery among other things. She said they employed about eighty people.

While we ate, I asked her if she would go out with me a week from Saturday. I knew she had the game Saturday.

"Where do you want to go?" she asked.

"Anywhere, everywhere, I don't care. I've never been many places so I'm willing to give anything a chance."

"Ok, give me till next week to find somewhere different. You know you can always come to karaoke night on Thursday."

"I'd like to go hear you sing but it starts at nine and I begin work at eleven. I can't drink because I don't want alcohol on my breath at work."

"I understand but maybe someday you could stop in for an hour."

We talked a while longer and I walked her back to the clinic. When we said goodbye she gave me a peck on the lips. "Hope to see you soon," I said as she walked away. I wasn't sure if she heard me.

I didn't want to come on too strong to her. Right now I knew we were good friends and even though I wanted more I didn't want to lose the connection we had.

It wasn't the best weekend for me. I knew she was going to the ballgame with her male friends. At least Nancy might tell me how it went. On Sunday I talked to Nancy and asked her about the game.

"We lost but I had a great time. Joel and Peter are great guys and we joked around all day. Ariel has some of the nicest friends."

What else could I ask without looking like an interrogator? I wanted to ask if she kissed or hugged them, said anything endearing to them, but I knew I would just be looking stupid. I wasn't going with her and she was free to live her life.

"Did you ask her if she wanted to go to the game next month with us?"

"Yes."

"Well, what did she say?" I asked.

"She said to tell Henry to go ahead and order the tickets. She would love to go with all of us."

I called Ariel again on Tuesday and asked her out for lunch again on Wednesday. "Oh, sorry Joey, the gang here at work is ordering lunch in tomorrow."

"Oh, ok, are we still on for something Saturday?

"Yes, not sure you're going to like it but you said anything."

"Where are we going?"

"You'll find out Saturday. Just dress normal, it's nothing fancy."

I told her I would see her Saturday evening and hung up. At least she would be with me on Saturday.

On Thursday night I decide to stop by their club and see her sing karaoke. I could only stay a little while since I had to work. I didn't tell her I was coming and when I showed up there must have been a dozen people around the table she was at. They had put three tables together so they could sit together. Unfortunately, more than half the people at the table were guys.

I went up and sat at the bar and ordered a soda. I watched Ariel at the table, she wasn't doing anything wrong but I could tell she was enjoying herself. It was already nine-thirty when she went up to the stage. She sang 'Where the Boys are', by Connie Francis. She sounded beautiful and it brought tears to my eyes.

When she was finished and everyone applauded her she left the stage and noticed me. She seemed surprised and came over to me.

"Joey, how long have you been here?"

"About a half an hour."

"Why didn't you come over to the table?"

"You were with your friends and I didn't know any of them so I thought I would sit here. You were wonderful. You brought tears to my eyes."

"Thank you, that means a lot to me. Come over to the table and I'll introduce you to everyone."

"No, I have to get going to work. I'll see you Saturday at seven sharp."

"It was nice of you to come. I really do appreciate it." She leaned forward and gave me one of those gentle kisses on the lips. I left and she went back to her table.

I picked her up Saturday and when we got to the car I opened the door for her. She smiled and shook her head. "So, where are we going? I've been looking forward to this for two weeks."

"We're going to the Capital Playhouse and see a stage play."

"For real?" I asked.

"Yes, I figured you have never gone to a play and this is a good one that I've been wanting to see. It's a murder mystery, I think you'll enjoy it."

I didn't tell her but as long as she was with me I could enjoy watching hubcaps rust. My feelings were pretty strong and getting harder to hold in check.

The play really was good and I enjoyed it. I mentioned to Ariel that it was something else we had in common. I went to an Arby's and we got a quick bite to eat. It was getting late. I took her home and she got out of the car before I could get around and open her door.

I asked her when we could go out again. All my Saturdays were open. She gave me a gentle kiss and said to call her sometime during the week. The look in her eyes seemed strange. She must have been thinking about something, but what?

When I called her she said she was supposed to have a girl's night out with her girlfriends. They were going bowling and then over to the club for a few drinks. I could meet her at the club if I wanted.

"Is there going to be any other guys there?" I asked.

"No, not that I'm aware of. I can't say we might not see some guys we know. After all it's a local hangout."

As much as I want to be there I just didn't feel right bothering her on her girl's night out. She said they had one every few months. I told her I didn't want to interfere with her plans and besides we would be going to the ball game the following week.

On Saturday I felt down. It had been months since I even got laid. I was all wrapped up in Ariel. I went to a bar where I knew older women hung out. They were always looking for young guys. I had a drink and a woman sat next to me and said I looked like I needed company. She put her hand on my thigh and I knew what she wanted.

We left and went to her place. It was a mobile home just outside the city limits. I don't even remember her name, all I knew is she wanted to get fucked and that's what we did. I used condoms and fucked her twice. She was pretty drunk so after we were done I covered her up and went home.

Why didn't I enjoy it that much? I came both times and she wasn't all that bad looking. I knew what my problem was. I felt I cheated on Ariel and it was working on my conscience.

I wasn't even in a relationship and yet was bothered by it. I went to bed and slept in late. I had no reason to get up. I lay there and thought about how stupid I was. Maybe I should just tell Ariel how I felt, but I was so afraid of losing her as a friend. Damned if you do, damned if you don't, that was my position now.

I called her for lunch again on Tuesday for Wednesday. She said ok and to meet her in the lobby at noon. There she came down the hall as happy as ever. We headed over to the restaurant across the street. I asked her about her night out with the girls and she said the bowling was fun but at the club they kept getting hit on by guys they didn't know.

I guess a few guys that they knew came over and told the other guys to leave them alone and there was a slight altercation. It kind of ruined the night. She did say that she was looking forward to going to the ball game on Saturday and she said she knew I would like it too.

I honestly think Ariel knew me better than I knew myself. I was always confused and not good at reading the signs a woman gives.

I really enjoyed the ball game. The Reds won which made it all the better. We stopped at a restaurant and received a surprise from Mary and Henry. They were going to get married in three weeks. They were going to a Justice of the Peace but planned to have a small reception of mostly relatives afterwards.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.