Trinity Ranch - Cover

Trinity Ranch

Copyright© 2011 by zaliterr

Chapter 3: Hearth Smoke

"Jake! You are back! And with our horses! Oh, thank you, thank you! Are you all right?" Alice was excited for the first time since Jake saw her. He still wanted to kill somebody when he saw the bruises on her face, but since the scum he put them there were dead, he was able to keep his jaw from clenching. That and the smile on Alice's face; even with the bruises it showed how pretty she was.

Alice made a gesture to touch Jake, maybe even hug him, but at the last moment stopped and wrapped her arms around herself. Jake suppressed his sigh.

"I'm fine, Alice. I was able to get back the money, so you can hire some hands again. And Martin Turner and his foreman will not be telling any stories about you." Jake said the last words with grim finality.

"Did you kill them? You are not injured? Did anybody else get hurt?"

"Don't worry. As I said, I am fine, and nobody else got shot. Yeah, I killed them. I asked them both about compensation, but they went for their guns, despite me having my weapon out already. Honestly, I am glad they gave me the excuse; I don't think they deserved to live."

"No, they didn't. Thank you, Jake.

"Will you help me with the hands? With the horses and the money I think I can make the ranch work, but I don't want anybody thinking they can take advantage of me."

"Huh! You and Dora think alike. She wanted me for intimidation as well. Of course I will help you, and I will deal with anybody who doesn't show you respect.

"And Dora said you can come over to borrow chairs, dishes and other supplies – I told her about the damage to your home."

"Dora Turner? You seem very friendly with her, considering you killed her husband. Didn't she want to keep father's money?"

"No, Alice. In fact she was incensed by what her late husband had done, and is eager to help you. He wasn't treating her any too well, and his foreman scared her. I think she's pretty happy she's a widow, and she offered me a foreman's job."

"Well, she is a pretty woman, and I am glad you will have a job nearby."

Jake wasn't sure, but thought Alice sounded jealous.

"So am I, but I will spend part of my time here until you get on your feet – that was my condition for accepting the job."

"I'm glad," Alice whispered, and this time she hugged Jake.

Jake hugged her back, wondering if it was her relief or her jealousy of "pretty woman" Dora that made her overcome her fear of men. Doesn't matter, he told himself, and kissed the top of Alice's head.


They did ride to the Turner's ranch the next day, and Jake, Dora and Alice "hired back" the former Minot hand who was intimidated by Martin Turner. Alice acted rather clingy in Dora's presence, which Jake rather enjoyed.

After a few weeks, Dora invited both of them to a dinner. After her housekeeper and cook, Mrs. Tribble, cleaned up the table, Dora got to the point.

"Look, we've been managing both ranches together. Alice, we've moved the hands around based on the work, and made sure we pay them both the same to avoid any resistance. You and I shared the dishes and pots, and poor Jake has been spending a lot of hours riding back and forth between the two ranches."

"A foreman needs to ride a lot anyway, so it's my normal job."

"Hush! Let me finish," Dora said. "Besides, even when it makes sense for you to sleep here, you almost always go to spend your nights with Alice."

Alice blushed, but took Jake's hand. In the last few weeks, she had overcome her fear of men very well, and now Jake slept not only in the Minot house, but he slept in the Minot bed.

"All right, stop grinning fatuously at her," Dora, the former schoolteacher said. "Let's concentrate on business."

As Alice exhibited her obvious claim on Jake, Dora stopped the more obvious flirting. Nonetheless, she always welcomed him for meals, and smiled at him. Now, however, the normally outspoken Mrs. Turner seemed tense, playing with her glass.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.