Service Society
Chapter 9: The Advisor

Copyright© 2011 by Lazlo Zalezac

It was a typical small conference room, intended for use by less than a half dozen people. The conference table was ovoid, rather than rectangular. The chairs were more comfortable than those which were usually found in a conference room. The room was basically designed so that the principals involved in negotiation, could be close or distant as fitted the situation.

After the secretary had led Dexter into the room, she offered to get him coffee, tea, or a soda. Dexter went with the coffee and she disappeared. After a minute, she returned with a silver tray containing a small carafe of coffee, and real china coffee cups. She fussed around while preparing a cup of coffee. He could tell it was one of those rich ‘dark roast’ coffees that always tasted burnt, to him.

Sipping the coffee, Dexter sat back to study the room. The decor was understated. It spoke of money without boasting. The artwork hanging on the walls, basic meaningless abstracts, were originals, but not by any particularly famous artists. They gave color without a subject. Dexter studied the paintings thinking they accurately reflected the times: a presence without meaning or depth.

Rather than give him confidence that his money would be well managed, the room made him uneasy. It was as though everything was facade and not real. He would have preferred a room that looked as if people actually worked in it. He wanted the image of men with shirt sleeves rolled up, while they read financial reports. Instead, he had the image of pretenders in suits, talking good stories.

He wondered how long he would have to wait for his financial advisor to arrive. It seemed to him that having him wait was a calculated ploy to make him feel that his financial advisor was an important and busy person. He hoped that he wouldn’t get too tired out by this meeting; but he had to take care of his money, now, before the IRS got it all.

A man about Dexter’s age entered the room in a negligent shuffle.

His shirt was wrinkled with a couple of brownish stains on the front. It was little large for his body. Actually, it fit around the waist, but was large at the shoulders and long at the arms. He exhaled loudly when he sat down in one of the seats at the table.

“I’m Charlie Crause. I apologize for being late. I had an accident with a soda can. It exploded when I opened it.”

“No problem,” Dexter said.

“So you’re the famous Dexter,” Charlie said.

“I guess so.”

Charlie said, “Mark told me a little about you, when he set up this meeting. He said you’re a plain spoken person.”

“I don’t know about that. I’ve never really given it much thought,” Dexter said.

He hadn’t ever thought about how someone might describe him to others.

“He also said that you’re sharp as a tack,” Charlie said.

“I wouldn’t say that. Of course, I tend to remember my moments of stupidity longer than my moments of brilliance, if only because there are more of the former than the latter,” Dexter said.

Charlie laughed and said, “That’s true for more people than would like to admit it.”

“I guess,” Dexter said.

“While we’re waiting for Mary to bring in your paperwork, let me tell you a little about myself,” Charlie said.

“That’s fine.”

Charlie leaned forward and rested his elbows on the table with his hands clasped in front of him.

“I’m a graduate of a no name school, with a degree in business. As one of my professors once told me, you can get a first rate education in a third rate school. It isn’t the school that matters, it’s the student. I took that message to heart. I worked my ass off in school, did very well, and then got a job with a Wall Street brokerage firm.

“After a couple of years on the job, I became the manager of a large investment fund. It was one of the highest rated funds on the market while I was managing it. The hours were horrible, the work miserable, and the pay obscenely high. Despite the money, I hated every minute of it.

“After suffering through fifteen years in that hell hole, I left and joined this firm. I like managing money. I like knowing the customer. I enjoy spending an hour shooting the shit with someone, and getting to know them. I prefer to do that, over having to deal with some faceless mob ... particularly a mob that is only interested in instantaneous results.

“I have three research assistants who study investment opportunities. They are all graduates of no name schools. Each of them is very good at what he or she does. I’d rather hire someone who is good, than some idiot who graduated from a big name school. Let’s face it. Those big name schools have produced some pretty thick-headed people.

“I have a simple investment strategy. I look for companies headed by competent, smart, forward looking, ethical people. I believe that folks like that will make better business decisions. They will look at the future as it is, and not follow some ‘fashion trend’ in the business world. Fast money comes and goes. Serious money is in it for the long haul. Bankers, who make sound loans, don’t have to worry about getting their money back. Manufacturers, who maintain quality and produce a superior product, will thrive in good times and survive the bad times.

“Not one of the companies in which I’ve invested was affected by your little website. In a perverse way, I take some little pride in that. It tells me that my strategy is the correct one. My accounts made money while everyone else lost, big time.

“When other people learn about how much money you have, there will be snake oil salesmen, flim-flam artists, and outright thieves trying to get their hands on it. Relatives you have never met will appear from the woodwork wanting a share of your money. It happens ... believe me, it happens a lot.

“I’ll do my best to steer you away from those kinds of situations. Of course, you can always insist on making an investment in whatever scheme grabs your fancy. It’s your money after all. My point is that it’s not in my best interests, to watch your money disappear through bad investment. I earn my money as a percentage of the net gains of your wealth, over a year long period. I do not earn a commission on each transaction.

“Are there any questions so far?”

Dexter answered, “None so far.”

Charlie said, “With this much money at stake, trust is probably the most important element that has to exist between the two of us. I’m not going to tell you to trust me. If you want, you can hire a private detective and have me investigated. I have no problems with that. You can ask others in the industry about me. I have no problem with that. My life is an open book.

“I’ll also have to trust you to make wise decisions. I’ll present investment opportunities to you. I’ll expect you to listen and to consider them carefully. You should do your own investigation. I need you to feel free to ask any questions you wish. We are a partnership in this endeavor. I can’t do my job without some guidance from you.

“Any questions?”

Dexter said, “You mentioned that I would have to do my own investigation. What exactly do you mean by that?”

Charlie answered, saying, “Let’s take a simple example. Suppose that I suggest that we buy stocks in gold related industries. I will give you a reasoned brief on why I think it’s a good investment. For example, it’s announced that the Chinese government is planning to open the gold market for Chinese citizens and I believe that will lead to an increased demand for gold. Businesses that produce gold will increase in value.

“You should check that the Chinese government is actually planning to do that. You should try to estimate for yourself what happens when a billion people start buying gold. Then you’ll need to consider whether buying gold itself, or stocks in companies that produce gold, represents a better investment. You need to satisfy yourself that what I’m suggesting is reasonable.”

“I can see that,” Dexter said. “A simple search on the internet will probably net a dozen articles giving pros and cons to that suggestion.”

Dexter knew that he would probably do that anyway. He wasn’t all that comfortable with dealing with that much money. The last thing he wanted was to have it stolen from him. There was no way that he’d blindly accept recommendations without giving them significant thought.

“Exactly,” Charlie said. “You see, I don’t want you coming back to me when something doesn’t turn out as I predicted, with the accusation that I misled you. The decision to make an investment is yours, not mine. I suggest, you decide.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.