A Twilight Knockoff - Cover

A Twilight Knockoff

Copyright© 2011 by Silverwolf691

Chapter 23

The ride to the airport was longer than it should have been due to the time of day, but I was just glad to finally be out of that room.

I had the backseat to myself this time, Morgan riding shotgun, though she was angled so that she could see both Chadwick and myself.

"Morgan, can I ask you something?" I didn't sound interested but it was too difficult to reach a normal tone of voice so I didn't even bother trying.

"Sure."

"Why are your visions coming so often? Marcus said you got them occasionally, that you mostly just read people?" I turned it into a question because I really didn't understand what was meant by "reading" people.

"That's true, or at least it was. I don't know why I'm Seeing things more often now." She shrugged. "It could be that my abilities weren't fully manifested."

We were silent for a few moments, each absorbed in our own thoughts as traffic slowly proceeded forward. I was so afraid that Chadwick might be able to read my thoughts that all I could do was sit there running stray songs through my head. I couldn't plan anything and I hated the wasted time.

"Morgan? Do you really see the future?"

She thought about my question for a moment before answering. "I See things as they stand," she told me, "I See things that, if nobody changes their minds, will happen. Its not an exact science; things change." She sounded wistful, confirming my suspicions about what she Saw in her latest vision. She hadn't Seen my death, which was inspiring, though that, too, could change at any time. Or maybe she had and hadn't decided how to stop it.

We parked in one of the massive parking garages and I led the way, for once more familiar with my surroundings than anyone else. The alcohol was wearing off as I moved but it no longer mattered; we would soon be surrounded by large crowds of grumpy people who would serve as camouflage for my chaotic mind.

We stopped to read the flight board, read which terminal their flight would be coming in at and made our way through the morning crowds.

I couldn't help my nervous squirming as we sat in a long row of orange chairs, waiting. Morgan and Chadwick sat there, debating the departure board, weighing the pros and cons of each location listed, the places I'd never go, their eyes registering my every movement.

The time of arrival grew nearer and I knew I had to make my move soon.

I turned my phone back on, though I didn't even try to listen to the numerous messages it held; I just turned the ringer on vibrate, tucked my note under the flip-top and casually leaned my head on Morgan's shoulder, surprising her.

"He'll be here soon," she said and I nodded. She never noticed the phone I slid into her pocket. "Do you want to eat yet?"

"No, but maybe in a little bit."

The arrival time for the Denver plane steadily rose up the board, bringing fresh pain and sorrow as the time drew closer. Suddenly the numbers flipped and I had no time.

"I think I'll eat now," I told them and she moved to stand. "No, I think Chadwick should come with me." She looked slightly hurt and confused. "I'm still a little shaky," I told her, "and it wouldn't look as odd for him to support me as it would for you." She didn't look happy but she sat back down. With any luck, she'd think my imminent demise was do to the hunter, not my betrayal.

Chadwick put his arm around my shoulders and we made our way, slowly, to the food court located halfway across the terminal.

My gaze wandered around the cafes as we approached, but I wasn't interested. I was about to give up on Plan A and try to run for it when I spotted what I needed: a restroom at the end of a hall.

"Do you mind?" I asked him, inclining my head.

"Go right ahead, I'll wait here." He took up station at the payphones nearby and I managed the trip by myself.

As soon as I was out of sight, I reversed directions, entering the men's room, which had an employee shortcut. I'd once gotten lost when my father had been here and I remembered the kindly old security guard who held my hand as we searched for him.

I darted through the door and down the long, thankfully empty corridor to the EXIT sign that led to the elevators.

I ran, dodging people, unable to look behind me as I dashed for the half-filled elevator, just barely making it. I pushed the button for level one, even though it was already lit and waited impatiently for the doors to close.

It seemed to take forever to hit the first floor and I elbowed my way out of the now-crowded box and through the waiting crowd, walking fast as I passed the security desk, then breaking into a run to cross the large lobby as quickly as possible and get outside.

Luck was with me as there was a line of cabs parked at the curb; jumping into the nearest one, I startled the driver, though my destination seemed to startle her more.

"That's way out on the north side of town," she stated, though she reacted quickly enough when I handed her a few twenties.

I ducked down, just in case they'd already discovered me gone. I couldn't allow myself the luxury of grief, not with my defenses as low as they were; my emotions were too near the surface and it was all too likely I'd crack again.

The once-familiar city began to converge on me but I didn't look, shutting my eyes as we drove down the highway. Our passage felt incredibly slow to me; I guess I'd grown used to vampires driving.

With my eyes firmly shut, I imagined that I was still at the airport, waiting for Connor. I would pace back and forth and stand on my toes, my eyes straining to catch a glimpse of them as the plane released its passengers. He'd ease through them, his graceful movements carrying him swiftly to where I stood waiting, ready to throw myself into his arms.

I imagined trying to choose a destination, Marcus making recommendations for places that would allow Connor to function during the day. Maybe we'd leave the country and go to Europe, maybe up to Canada. I wouldn't mind the cold as long as I had him.

"What was that number again?" the cabbie said, breaking into my daydreaming.

"Sixteen twenty-one." I was shocked to realize we were already there.

"Here we are miss," she said. I looked at the meter and handed over another twenty. She looked shocked as I climbed out of the cab, but she didn't say anything, for which I was grateful.

I shivered in the cold breeze as I walked up to my door, pulling the spare house key from the rain gutter and unlocking the door. There was no mail or newspapers awaiting; he'd stopped those before he left.

I flipped on the living room light, my hands shaking again. Everything was neat and orderly like nobody had really been here for weeks; it gave me hope. Maybe she was lying about holding him captive.

My heart sank again as I took a closer look and saw his briefcase lying on the coffee table. I looked at the phone, sitting on the small table just inside the door, where a notepad sat baring an unknown phone number and instructions written in an unfamiliar hand.

It took me a couple of tries to dial the number right, but I finally managed it, putting it on speaker phone like the instructions said. It only rang once.

"Hello, Patricia, what a surprise! I must admit, I am very impressed; its only a quarter till eight." her soft, seductive voice purred with pleasure and I fought not to gag. "I trust you have no company?"

"You can hear that I don't," I told her.

"That's quite right, I can. You're such a good girl, Patricia; your father should be pleased. And don't worry," she continued, "he's just fine."

"I'm sure he is, considering you don't have him." It was a bluff that I hoped was true; I also hoped that it wouldn't make matters worse if it wasn't.

"Is that so?" she asked coyly. "Well, I suppose it doesn't matter what you believe; human curiosity being what it is, you'll show whether or not I tell you otherwise." I could picture her shrugging her muscled shoulders as she sighed. "Well, on to Act 2. You remember that old opera house down the road, don't you?"

"Yes, I know the way."

"Good. I'll be waiting."

I hung up and ran upstairs, checking all the rooms for signs of recent occupation. It was hard to judge and, in the end, she was right; it didn't matter. I wouldn't have believed her if she'd denied holding him captive anyway; I had to know for sure, so I would go.

I went into my room, which still had most of my stuff lying where I'd left it, a tribute to my normal life. Sitting atop my dresser was a sword and dagger set that Dad had bought me a few years ago, the set I'd been drooling over for a while. I briefly regretted never having learned how to use the sword but grabbed one of the long, sharp daggers and tied it on my belt loop. It was a little awkward but I felt better knowing I had something besides a small pocket knife with me, even if I doubted it would have any effect on a vampire.

My plan so far was to escape Morgan and Chadwick, which I had, and lead them to the hunter. Knowing that none of them could track me normally, I poured most of a bottle of body spray I'd left behind over myself, flinching at the sensory overload. The plan now was to go to the hunter, hope she liked to talk and keep her distracted long enough for them to find me and kill her.

Yeah, right.

Firmly telling the voice in my head to shut up and go away, I walked back downstairs. Picking up the phone, I hit the speed dial button for my cell, leaving it ringing on the table as I walked out, leaving the house unlocked for them.

The air burned in my lungs as I took off running. The temperature had dropped in the short amount of time I'd been inside, feeling like midwinter as my chest began to ache. I felt so slow, like I was running through mud or water, my legs burning as bad as my chest as they pumped. I fell a couple of times, scraping my hands and knees, but I couldn't stop, my mind still semi-calm enough to muse about leaving a clearer trail for them to follow.

I rounded a building and there it was. The walls were a dingy brown, its ticket windows covered in years of old posters, dirt and paint, the doors long since busted and hanging open to the morning.

I squeezed around the various debris blocking the doorway, unable to see much of the interior do to the weak sunlight and loss of electricity. I stumbled and cracked my shins multiple times as I tried to make my way through, realizing once I'd crossed to about the middle of the old lobby that there was light coming from further on.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.