A Twilight Knockoff
Chapter 17

Copyright© 2011 by Silverwolf691

They came into the clearing one by one, spread far apart, two males and a female. One male stepped forward and the rest fell in behind him, clearly marking who the leader was. I didn't trust it, remembering Morgan's words.

Their approach was cautious, which I deemed suitably appropriate when entering another predator's territory. They walked only a little faster than human speed, though, unlike the Hawkins, their gliding stride could never be mistaken for human.

As they got closer, I could make out more details. They wore clothes that had seen better days, dirt stains and something else showing in patches. None of them wore shoes.

They looked over our assembled group, taking in our semi-relaxed postures and good clothes as Marcus, flanked by Davis and Chadwick stepped forward.

The man who led the group was built a little bigger than Connor though taller, his midnight skin a shock against the stripe of white hair on his scalp. His expression, while open, conveyed a simple personality; he had a certain charming appeal but wasn't possessed of the stunning beauty of the Hawkins.

The other male looked to be around my age, pale of course, lean, his short brown hair sticking up in all directions like he constantly ran his hands through it. His movements were twitchy, nervous almost, though his face conveyed no emotion. Again, he wasn't nearly as good looking as the ones around me. Another myth put to rest, I thought to myself.

It was the woman that scared me. She was tall, taller than the young male and built like a volleyball player, her skin once a deep tan, with a wild tangle of hair that looked like it should be on a cat with its calico mix of color. She stood still as a statue when they stopped, her stance aggressive despite the fact that her arms hung at her sides and she stood perfectly straight. Her predatory gaze was constantly wandering and I hoped that Connor, who had shifted in front of me, was effectively blocking me from her sight.

"We're sorry to interrupt," the dark man's voice was calm as he stepped up to meet Marcus, his accent very African. "We thought to join you in your game. I am Deju and these are Elizabeth and Thomas," he gestured to the other two.

"I'm Marcus. This is my family: Chadwick and Josephine, Davis, Morgan and Tricia, Halibell and Connor," he waved behind him, not pointing out anyone. It seemed that my idea wasn't all that far-fetched, seeing as how he'd included me with his family; I just hoped it worked.

"Would you mind if we joined your game?" Deju asked politely, his expression still friendly and open.

"Actually," Marcus sent his gaze skyward, to the clouds rapidly closing in, "we're just about done. Will you be here awhile? We might have another chance."

"Alas, we're headed north and east, but were curious to see if there were others around. It has been a long time."

"This region is pretty empty," Marcus replied, "except for ourselves and the rare visitors like yourselves." The conversation seemed casual enough, though nobody relaxed; I certainly didn't, my limbs practically twitching with the need to move, to run.

"How large is your territory?" Deju asked.

"From Yellowstone to the Rockies, on north to Alaska on occasion. We've got a permanent residence nearby. There's another group like ours just over the divide."

"How is that possible?" Deju asked, his curiosity obvious.

"Why don't you come back to our home; it's more comfortable as this will take awhile."

Their faces conveyed shock when Marcus mentioned "home" but Deju quickly recovered.

"That would be most welcome," he said, looking over the whole group taking in our clean appearance. "We've been unable to stop in quite some time. Your hospitality is most appreciated."

"I would ask that you refrain from hunting while you're here," Marcus told them. "It would draw unnecessary attention."

"Of course." Deju didn't look the least bit insulted. "It would be really bad manners to poach. We ate before we left Idaho." He smiled and I shivered.

"If you'd like to run with us," Marcus turned it into a question and Deju nodded. "Then Chadwick and Morgan can go with Connor and Tricia with the equipment." He smiled and those not named turned to join him.

Everything happened at once as they walked away. My cell phone buzzed and, as I looked down at my pocket, a wild wind surged up and blew my hood off. Connor stiffened as my smell hit him and the others whipped back around.

Everyone went rigid as the female crouched and took a step towards me. Connor growled as he went into a defensive position in front of me. This sounded nothing like his playful sounds and it gave me chills of terror.

"What have we here? A snack?" Deju made to approach and Connor snarled.

"She's with us," Marcus addressed Elizabeth. Deju looked at him incredulously as Connor and the female continued to square off.

"But she's human," their leader stated, confusion etching deep lines in his face. Connor's growl deepened and grew more menacing as the female took another half-step towards me, his teeth bared.

"And?" Davis was a huge figure beside Marcus, his eyes locked on Elizabeth. She straightened slowly, though the predatory gleam remained in her eyes as she watched me. Connor didn't move.

"She belongs to us," Marcus stressed. "Any harm to her will result in retaliation, as is our right with a Chosen."

"She does not carry your scent nor does she behave like a Chosen," Deju accused, his dark eyes boring into me, making me fight the impulse to hide.

"We are not the same as those who rule," Marcus intoned, the only indication that he was troubled being the crisp way he talked, his professional voice. There was some unspoken communication between Deju and Marcus and Deju stepped back.

"I see we have much to learn," Deju tried to project a soothing tone into his voice but nobody bought it. Marcus merely nodded. "We'd still like to accept your offer, if it still stands," his eyes darted to me and back, "and, of course, we will refrain from hunting in your territory."

Elizabeth and Thomas shot him incredulous looks, hers filled with aggravation and his one of disbelief.

"We'll show you the way," Marcus said after scrutinizing the three of them. "Josephine, Halibell, Davis, come along." They stepped forward, hiding me from the trio.

"Let's go, Tricia," Connor's voice was absent of emotion but his eyes showed the struggle he was fighting to sound that way; the same eyes that I'd seen when he'd saved me back in Billings what felt like ages ago.

I couldn't move very well, my nerves frayed and shot. Connor grabbed my arm to steady me as we walked out of the clearing, Morgan and Chadwick covering our exit, though the others appeared long-gone. As soon as we hit the tree line, Connor slung me into his arms and took off, his body like a rock with tension as I buried my face in his chest, breathing him in to try and calm myself. I could feel his fury as we sped through the trees, his run absent of the enjoyment he had earlier, quickly leaving the others behind.

We reached the Jeep impossibly quick and he laid me down in the back before taking the driver's seat.

"Secure her," he ordered Morgan, who slid in beside me, Chadwick quickly jumping up front as the engine roared into life, turning it around and heading for the road.

I couldn't make out what Connor was growling but Morgan could and her face was worried. The ride back was much worse as Connor sped away, Chadwick and Morgan's ever-vigilant eyes aimed through the windows. We hit the highway with a lurch that would have sent me flying if I weren't strapped in. I expected him to turn left, back the way we had come, but he turned right and our speed increased even more.

"Where are we going?" My voice was faint. Nobody responded, they didn't even look at me. "Where the hell are you taking me, Connor?"

"You need to be somewhere far away from here-now." His eyes stayed on the road as the world flew by.

"I can't just leave! I have to go home!" My voice broke and I started struggling.

"Morgan," he ordered and she grabbed my wrists in an unbreakable hold that was completely at odds with her tiny frame.

"Connor, I can't leave!"

"There's no choice, Trish," he said grimly.

"If I don't come home, Claire will call the cops and they'll be all over your family and you'll have to hide and never come out again." I was beginning to panic.

"It wouldn't be the first time," he said coldly.

"I won't let you ruin your life over me!" Now I was angry and panicked, but Morgan prevented me from moving.

"Connor, stop the car," Morgan said quietly.

"You don't get it, do you?" he raged at her, the four of us still speeding out of the area. "She's like I could have been, like I still could be. Nothing holds her back."

I struggled to figure out what he meant, Chadwick stiffening in the front seat.

"Pull over, Connor." Morgan's voice was pitched low, calm, but I could hear the order behind it. My phone was still going off in my pocket.

"What did you read, Chadwick?" he snarled to his brother, who cringed.

"She's a hunter," Chadwick started, quietly, "obsessed with the chase and she believes she has finally found a worthy challenge. It begins with the dawn." His voice was grim and I couldn't breath. Morgan tsked.

"She doesn't know where I live," I whispered hopefully.

"How long do you figure that will last?" Connor asked, his voice thick with anger. "How long do you think it took us to find out? Nothing will stop her!" He punched the dash and I jumped.

"Claire," I breathed. "What about Claire?! I can't just leave her there!" I started squirming again, my wrists bruising under Morgan's solid grip.

"You know she's right," Morgan told him. He slowed the vehicle slightly. "There may be other solutions." He swerved to the shoulder and slammed on the breaks, making me grateful once again for the harness-style seatbelt.

"There are no other solutions, Morgan," he snarled, twisting around to glare at her.

"I can't leave her," I whispered, my eyes burning, but he ignored me.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.