A Twilight Knockoff - Cover

A Twilight Knockoff

Copyright© 2011 by Silverwolf691

Chapter 6

I felt like crap in the morning, which I knew I would, though, thanks to the cold washcloth, my eyes were only a little puffy. I was so sore that I was tempted to forego school, but I didn't. It was now Thursday, only two more days left of the week. Besides, I didn't want to give him the satisfaction of knowing he got to me.

Dad must have given her the full history because she was waiting in the kitchen with a kettle of hot water, two cups and a bowl of sugar next to an unopened box of apple cinnamon tea.

I put a bag in each cup, but only poured water over one, sighing with pleasure at the comforting aroma that arose. I wouldn't be able to eat until lunch but I could stomach liquids and I have yet to find anything more relaxing and soothing than this tea. Except maybe swimming.

She didn't ask questions, filling the silence with the details of the day ahead. I was grateful. She seemed to be taking it in stride, so I guessed Dad had gone into minute detail.

"Your father asked me to tell you that he made it alright and he'd call you later."

I nodded; I'd turned my phone back on when I got up and listened to his message. He told me that he missed me and to hang in there.

"What would you say to a trip to the city this weekend?" she asked. "I know there's probably things you need for school and I need a few things." She tapered off into silence, fussing with her napkin as I prepared the second cup of tea. "It's fine if you don't want to, I just thought you'd like a chance to get out of town."

"Sounds good," my voice was only a little hoarse and I smiled slightly. She looked a little happier when she left, a couple of minutes before me; she'd yet to have kids and I was filling that hole. She was treading new ground and didn't want to screw up.

The snow was blinding in the morning sunshine as I left for school and I had to put on my sunglasses just to see the road. I was glad the skies were clear but the result was just painful.

I told everyone that I'd just felt sick yesterday and they bought it, giving me some space. The day passed without incident and without a sign of Connor or the rest of them; I heard someone say that their mother was a health freak and pulled them out of school for outdoor activities whenever the sun was out.

I made it through that day and Friday drama-free and Hawkins free (one and the same so far) and was looking forward to the shopping trip Saturday.

It was about an hour's drive to Billings driving in Claire's Hybrid; we chose better gas mileage and smaller size over snow capability since the weatherman had said it would be clear until late tonight. We spent that time deciding where we wanted to go and what we needed. We finally decided on one of the malls as we entered the city limits and I groaned internally; it may have been a logical choice, but it was still bound to be packed.

I was right but I was also determined to enjoy my day, so I ignored, for the most part, the hoards of rude teenagers and had fun. I picked up the rest of my Home Economics list as well as my Art list, picked out some clothes that were on sale and went crazy in the candle shop. I also found an oriental store and bought some incense and ornaments that were beautifully carved in different colors of jade. The expense made me glad I would be working.

We ate dinner at a Mexican restaurant and joined in singing to the very embarrassed birthday girl, then headed home, tired but content.

I spent Sunday unpacking the last of my stuff, rearranging and doing laundry, trying to form a pattern of habit. It had started snowing in the wee hours and it continued to get worse as the day progressed. Aunt Claire assured me that it wouldn't add up to much more than four or five inches with the way the wind scoured it away. She did take pains to warn me of possible black ice since it had warmed enough to melt the previous snow. We'd gone out before it had gotten really bad and chained up our vehicles, a totally new experience for me, so that we wouldn't have to bother in the morning.

I left extra early, creeping along so that, if I did start to slide, I could reduce the possible damage. I wondered if I was just being paranoid, but the other motorists out behaved similarly, even though the roads were mostly clear. It was also below freezing before the wind chill and my teeth chattered the whole way, even with the heater on high.

The first half of the day passed smoothly, even with the reappearance of the Hawkins' and I kept my distance. It was a shock, however, to walk into Art and find Morgan Hawkins waiting by my table. She waved at me and patted the empty chair beside her.

Ms. Mathis (green hair today) handed out large popsicle sticks and balloons; we were making piñatas this month, hence the shredded newspaper. We were supposed to pick partners and Morgan claimed me immediately, much to the irritation of Cody.

"I'm Tricia, or Trish," I introduced myself tentatively.

"I know," she said brightly, "I'm Morgan, but you already knew that." She was quite bubbly, her happiness infective.

By the end of class, we had nothing accomplished, but neither did anyone else. We all just kind of sat there, playing with the sticks, trying to come up with ideas. The homework assignment became a list of ideas by next class.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.