Tempest of Lies
Chapter 29

Copyright© 2011 by A Strange Geek

Fantasy Sex Story: Chapter 29 - Amanda has once again been ripped from a life that she knew into one that is unknown, but this time not by her own choice. Reduced to a mere possession, her independence seems doomed to be crushed by the Urisi slave system. Yet even far from Oceanus, events conspire to draw her into the fray once more, as the Inonni realize that bringing "Enlightenment" to Oceanus is not as easy as they had hoped.

Caution: This Fantasy Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Ma/ft   Fa/ft   Magic   Slavery   Fiction   BDSM   DomSub   MaleDom   Oral Sex   Masturbation   Sex Toys  

Across the ocean from the former D'ronstaq Manor, the day was already underway in the Urisi Nation. Amanda had been shown Bessa's copy of the map once more before she was sent on her journey to the Oceanus fleet. These events surely would have distracted Jollis from his own preparations as dawn broke across the indigo waters which isolated him from the truth.

Jollis was preparing for death. Much time had passed since he had last felt the need. Even the mission to discover the horrible secret which lay buried outside the Manor had not prompted him to perform this ritual. He was not planning to die and hoped to avoid it, but whenever his task itself involved death, the chance existed that it would be visited upon him.

He had done the same before his very first "hunting" mission, when he had assassinated the brother of Fenric Z'haas, the previous emperor of Oceanus, and -- unknowingly at the time -- triggered Z'haas' spiral into paranoia and madness. As then, he had risen before first light, stripped himself naked, and sat cross-legged and unmoving on the hard floor next to his bed, deep in meditation.

Even in this state, his thoughts were troubled. Through this ritual, he asked the gods to understand the reasons behind his task and to protect him if they felt his cause was just. In times past, he was already convinced he was in the right. But now "right" was such a nebulous concept that he could not offer his own convictions as evidence of having chosen the right path. There were only varying degrees of injustice and no clear and "right" answer.

Many times Jollis felt the gods as a tangible presence, radiating a warm glory in his mind, a sign his path was blessed. He felt nothing but scrutiny now, as if the gods were a tribunal, silently judging him from behind a dark veil. He had the odd sense they were waiting, intent to watch the events unfold and then decide, as if they themselves had little insight into the future.

Long and orange rays streamed in through a window behind him as dawn gave way to sunrise. Jollis felt the gentle warmth on his neck and brought himself out of his meditative state. Within a few breaths, his eyes opened, and he rose to his feet. He stood in the sunlight for another few moments, taking slow, deep breaths to keep his mind calm. He was only partially successful. This was the first time he anticipated he might not survive the hunt.

He turned towards his bed and gathered his clothes. He wanted to be away before his Cohorts found him. They were loyal, and he trusted them implicitly, but he did not want them to know of his mission. Now they could say they had no idea of Jollis' intentions and thus would not be cited as accomplices.

Jollis already had a task for them, delivered in the form of a parchment scroll he had placed in their quarters during the night. It told them to find a way to protect Mage Verano from the plans of the Oceanus Mages. It pained him to give such orders, as part of him demanded Verano pay for his crimes as well, but he considered the larger picture.

He contemplated Amanda as he gazed into the beams of sunlight. All he could do was hope she was safe and her suffering minimal. He wondered what Amanda would think if he did indeed die that day. He hoped she would care, even if only to think the world was better without him. It was better than no thought at all.

Once Jollis was dressed, he paused for one final prayer, this time to the goddess. He crept from his quarters as quietly as the breeze.


The fork was halfway to Tarras' mouth, the white-gold bit of fried egg upon it glistening, when he flicked his gaze across the table and said, "I do hope a fair price was paid for these eggs and everything else in this repast."

Rennis uttered a short sigh as he tore off a piece of bread. "This is hardly a repast as you put it."

Tarras watched as Frenon served the last plate, his own, and sat at the table. He had prepared a single egg for each, a few small slabs of pork, half a loaf of bread, and a gourd of fruit juice, all arranged around a rickety table next to an ancient brick stove.

"Nevertheless, Rennis--" Tarras began, putting down his fork.

"We paid as fair a price as our limited finances would allow," Rennis said. "But we did pay."

"I would say the peasants felt they were justly compensated, my Lord," said Frenon in a mild voice.

Tarras was still getting used to that title again. He realized soon after giving his speech that the title was his until death. He much preferred it over Emperor Apparent, as he had overheard a few of the former Nobles suggest later that day. He still held out hope for Duric; if anyone would be open to Tarras' proposal for such a radical change in Oceanus society, it would be him.

He looked at Frenon. The man seemed more relaxed now. Perhaps the speech had affected him as well. Tarras had not had the courage to ask yet.

Tarras allowed himself to enjoy the meal, though the look on Rennis' face kept his pace slow. "Is something the matter?"

"That is hard to say, to be honest," said Rennis. "I may have heard news of Gedric."

"There is little you can say which will affect me," Tarras said in a flat voice. "I have resigned myself to the likelihood of his capture by the Inonni. It is why it is important for us to go our separate ways for awhile, so that--"

"There may be some sort of escape being planned."

Tarras' fork clinked to his plate. "When did you hear this? And from whom?"

"Uridon contacted me late last night. You were already asleep."

"And what did he say?"

Rennis finished chewing a bite of bread as quickly as he could before he spoke again. "He emphasized it may be nothing, and he got the information second hand from other merchants."

"Merchants are quite well known for preserving information intact when they relay it between themselves," said Frenon.

"Yes, I know that!" Rennis snapped. "But even Uridon said it came from a less than reliable source. There are several merchant clans who operate outside the normal Guilds. A Urisi Guild clan claimed to have overheard something said in a bar by a Guildless merchant from the Ollo clan. He was rather drunk at the time and going on about having made some sweet deal with someone in the Urisi government to spirit away a man and a girl."

Tarras tilted his head. "Spirit away?"

"As in escape."

"I do not believe the merchant clans deal in human cargo," Tarras said. "Clans will grant passage for someone only if he can pay his way, usually via labor for the clan."

"As I said, the Ollo clan is not part of the Guild. They're likely black marketeers or privateers."

"Granted, but what makes him think the man would be Gedric?"

"Because this particular clan is based on a tiny strip of beach located just to the south of the port where the rogue Oceanus fleet is docked."

Tarras straightened in his chair. "Then who is the girl?"

"I can only guess. Maybe Amanda."

"Amanda? Roquan's slave girl you told me about?"

"Yes. It would be just like her to be mixed up in something like this."

Tarras considered. Frenon ate his meal in silence, his eyes flicking back and forth between the two high-born men. "That is a bit of a stretch," Tarras said. "I would even go so far to say that assuming the man is Gedric is a stretch as well."

"Nevertheless, Uridon thinks it bears watching," said Rennis. "He's paying some other clans to keep an eye on the situation. I trust his judgment in this matter."

Tarras frowned. "Has he not already paid a rather generous sum for this sort of surveillance work?"

Rennis stabbed a piece of pork and took a bite before replying. "He did hint he was close to going into debt, yes."

"Clan Leader Uridon should be careful," Frenon said. "His own clan could choose to unseat him as Clan Leader if they learn his personal finances are wrecked."

"I've told him that," Rennis said. "But he feels this is important."

"Perhaps you and the former Lords and Ladies can find a way to send him more platinum," said Tarras.

Rennis put down his fork and narrowed his eyes. "What are you talking about?"

"I am sure some have more funds squirreled away somewhere. It would be very much like them to--"

"No, I mean your reference to 'you' instead of 'we.'"

"We've been over this before," Tarras said in a weary voice. "Unless I have evidence to the contrary, I will assume the Inonni will have Gedric before long. Anyone who is in my general vicinity is in danger if they decide to take me."

Rennis looked as though he would protest but uttered a frustrated sigh and banged a fist on the table. Frenon's hand shot out and caught the gourd of fruit juice before it could tip over.

"But if Uridon is right, and somehow Gedric is rescued from this fate," Tarras said in a slightly pained voice. "And we have proof he is free, then I can return into your midst."

"You have to. I've said this time and time again. You're their leader whether you like it or not."

"I know," Tarras said in a quiet voice.

"You mean you've finally acknowledged it?"

Frenon looked at Tarras with rapt interest.

"Yes," Tarras said. "You will hear no more protests from me on that point. My concern is for the safety of everyone else. Of my people, if that term pleases you. But I will be their leader under one condition."

Rennis gave him a wary look.

Tarras returned it with an earnest one of his own. "That you remain and help us carry on into the future."

Rennis' eyes widened.

"I remember what you had said when we first arrived here. You wanted no part of the future because you felt you had no use. I don't believe that. You could serve as my counsel, throwing things in my face until I am finally forced to look at them and understand their importance." His lips twitched into a tiny smile. "Like my leadership role. I suspect you acted the part of the 'loyal opposition' to Roquan for a time."

Rennis looked stunned, both at Tarras' insight and the memories of a more uncomplicated time.

"That is my condition," said Tarras, drawing himself up in his seat. A small smile crossed Frenon's lips, as if now satisfied Tarras was once more acting the part of a proper Noble Lord.

Rennis sighed and leaned back. "You can be a right bastard sometimes, Tarras, you know that, right?"

Frenon raised an eyebrow. Tarras simply chuckled.

"All right. I'll stick around. To be honest, I'd likely get bored in retirement."

Tarras smiled, perhaps the first time he felt like smiling in a great while.


Uroddus walked slowly around the Portal device, its surging energies sparkling against his spectacles. A breeze ruffled his hair and carried the smell of rain as the clouds grew leaden overhead.

Q'kollan rocked on his heels a short distance back. He let out first a relieved sigh when the Guildmaster finished his circuit, then one of frustration as he started another. "Guildmaster, with all due respect--"

"This is fascinating work," said Uroddus as if he had not heard his advisor. "I am most impressed by what has been accomplished in such a short time."

"There is still much work to be done," said Q'kollan, his eyes darting from the Guildmaster to the Portal device when the energies began to spin faster. "And it is not yet stable. I would recommend keeping a safe--"

"One moment, one moment!" a young Mage cried as he leapt past Q'kollan, startling him. Uroddus watched as the somewhat wild-eyed Mage thrust an odd-shaped crystal towards the heart of the device. His eyes narrowed in concentration as he slowly twisted the crystal. The energies settled into a steadier, if still slightly faster, rhythm.

"There," the Mage said, tucking the crystal into his robes. "Should be good for a bit now."

Q'kollan opened his mouth to protest, but the Mage had already dashed off. He shook his head and turned back to Uroddus. "Do you see what I mean? They have to keep doing things like that day and night."

"Understandable," said the Guildmaster as he continued his second circuit. "I believe I am safe for the time being."

"I also consider what might happen were the Inonni to discover your presence here."

"Reasonable precautions are in place." Uroddus withdrew a blue pearl from his robe. "This is a focus for a Portal back at the Guild Hall which remains powered while I am here. I can summon it in moments."

Q'kollan nodded but did not look mollified.

"How long until we are ready?" Uroddus asked.

"Mage Q'yoona tells me at least two more days, possibly three." Q'kollan gave the Portal device another wary look. "Which is why they are not bothering to completely stabilize it. There is no point if the intent is to destroy the thing."

"So this Portal will also be destroyed?"

"Yes, when the energies circle back to the origin point. I am told this one will be the largest of the explosions. The intent is to trigger the effect and immediately leave."

Uroddus stopped as he neared the end of his second circuit. "They cannot trigger it remotely?"

"Unfortunately, no."

"The timing is going to be very slim."

"Yes, I know." Q'kollan paused. When he spoke again, his voice was lower and more somber, almost lost in the constant thrumming of the device. "A number of older Mages have secretly submitted their names to me as volunteers to trigger it. They believe whoever starts this may die in the attempt."

The Guildmaster frowned and approached Q'kollan. "I do not wish anyone to die. That includes the people who will be caught in the Portal explosions, though I have little control over that."

"And they would not know how to trigger it properly, either," said a new voice above the din.

Both Uroddus and Q'kollan turned as Katla joined them. Uroddus tilted his head in concern. Katla looked pale, even in the golden light of the device. "I've already settled this," she said, her voice quavering. "I'm going to set it off."

Katla glanced at Uroddus. At first it seemed he did not react until she saw his face had tensed.

"I'm the one who understands these theories the best," Katla continued into the uneasy silence. "It only makes sense."

"Katla," Uroddus finally said in a low and almost forlorn voice.

"I don't intend to die," Katla declared. "I fully intend to get out in time. But someone has to be here to start it, and that should be me."

The thrumming of the Portal suddenly surged. Katla reached into her pocket and yanked out a crystal similar to the one the other Mage had used. "And now you see why it can't be done remotely," she said as she twisted the crystal and the energies settled once more. "This thing will require constant tending as the energies build up towards release. We're already pumping more power through this thing than I think it's ever handled before."

"And how can you be sure it will not blow up in your face before then simply from wearing out?" Q'kollan said.

Katla withdrew the crystal and dropped it into her pocket. "Because I finally found a record of when this thing was last serviced. It was a long time ago, but the Mage who did it was Q'yros."

Uroddus nodded once, and Q'kollan reluctantly followed. Q'kollan wondered if people venerated Q'yros too much. Yes, he was very skilled and quite powerful, but he was a man, and men had their limits. Yet he did not dare try to convince the Guildmaster of that.

Uroddus stepped forward. "Master Q'kollan, I will no longer tax your patience. I will head back to the Guild Hall now that I have had a progress report. And Katla..."

He paused. Katla gave him a pleading look which said not now, not here.

"I will see you tonight," Uroddus said in a low voice.

Katla swallowed hard and nodded as Uroddus passed her. She turned away before Q'kollan could catch her eye and placed the summoned portal between herself and him.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.