Tempest of Lies - Cover

Tempest of Lies

Copyright© 2011 by A Strange Geek

Chapter 27

Fantasy Sex Story: Chapter 27 - Amanda has once again been ripped from a life that she knew into one that is unknown, but this time not by her own choice. Reduced to a mere possession, her independence seems doomed to be crushed by the Urisi slave system. Yet even far from Oceanus, events conspire to draw her into the fray once more, as the Inonni realize that bringing "Enlightenment" to Oceanus is not as easy as they had hoped.

Caution: This Fantasy Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Ma/ft   Fa/ft   Magic   Slavery   Fiction   BDSM   DomSub   MaleDom   Oral Sex   Masturbation   Sex Toys  

"Enter and be welcome."

Yonlas hesitated nonetheless. Seeing the Elder Apparent was a painful duty anymore. He suspected Master Kyllos no longer slept properly, as if the man left his tiny office only to eat a meager meal in the cafe or meditate in the gardens. Nevertheless, Yonlas had his duty, and he stepped into the room.

The blue flames in the lamp flickered at his approach. Perhaps his own perceptions were biased by his worry, but the lamp seemed to burn brighter each time he visited Kyllos, as if the man's eyesight were failing as well.

Kyllos lifted his head and put down the parchment he was reading, the top of a large sheaf which never seemed to shrink. "I bring you urgent intelligence, Master Kyllos," said Yonlas.

Kyllos drew himself straight, and only then did Yonlas notice the man had been hunched over the desk. "What news have you?"

"Activity has been spotted at one of the unoccupied Overlord Manors. The old D'yoran Manor."

Kyllos paused. "The name escapes me."

Yonlas folded his hands tightly before him. "Gronnus D'yoran, the one with whom Jollis consorted when--"

Kyllos nodded. "My memory has been sufficiently prodded. Please continue."

"A large group of Oceanus Mages have established a camp at the Manor's old Portal device."

Kyllos leaned back in his chair and steepled his slim, age-spotted fingers. "For what purpose?"

"We do not know. We know only that they are experimenting with the Portal device itself. Much magical energy can be detected by even the least magic-sensitives among us."

Kyllos remained silent, his eyes glistening and pensive.

Yonlas' fingers twitched. He hated having to prompt his Master again. He wished Jollis were back. Jollis could have helped him sort out his troubled thoughts concerning the Holy Order. "Should ... should we not relay this to--"

"And there is no obvious evidence of any hostile intent towards us?"

"None had been called out specifically in the report. They are not versed in Portal mechanics, however, so they cannot tell to what end are these experiments."

Again, Kyllos remained silent.

"Master ... does not ... surely, with you as Elder Apparent, it behooves you to--"

"Who else has received this information?" Kyllos suddenly demanded.

Yonlas blanched. "No one, Master! Such intelligence reports are for your ears only as you had decreed it."

Kyllos nodded. "Yes, quite right, forgive me for another lapse in memory."

Yonlas swallowed. Every moment watching his Master was torture. "Is something wrong, Master?"

Kyllos lay his hands upon the desk and drew himself forward. He gave Yonlas a small smile, and some warmth returned to his eyes. "Not at all. You have performed your duty well. I will take your information under advisement."

"No immediate tasks for me, Master?"

"None. I do not see the need for alarm." Kyllos paused and tilted his head. "But you do, apparently."

Now it was Yonlas' turn to remain silent.

"Speak freely, please," prompted Kyllos.

Yonlas did not want to. Like Jollis half a nation away, he had his own crisis of faith, and this was not helping. "The Holy Order is interested in knowing if the Oceanus Mages are able to gain new insights into Inonni Portal technology. They were very clear about wishing us to maintain the edge."

"Yes, indeed," said Kyllos. "And experimenting on a tired old Overlord Portal which we ourselves passed up because we did not believe it needed to be formally shut down hardly qualifies as new insights. They cannot teach a Portal created with old technology to operate like one of ours no matter how much magic they sink into it."

Yonlas had only a glimmer of understanding of how Portals operated, but he nodded just the same. It sounded logical to him, and Master Kyllos was delivering the information with a voice of conviction and authority.

"The Holy Order is quite taxed at the moment with the task of bringing Enlightenment to Oceanus," said Kyllos in a softer voice. "It is consuming much of their energy. I do not wish to distract them unless I have evidence of a definite threat."

"Of course, Master."

"Keep an eye on the situation, and report to me anything else they find."

"Yes, as always."

"Then I bid you good day and good blessings to you."

Yonlas bowed, then bolted out the door as if glad to be dismissed.

Kyllos leaned back in his chair again and sighed, rubbing the bridge of his nose. He slipped his other hand into a pocket and curled his fingers around the Farviewing pearl tied to Jollis. Was it time yet? Had Jollis determined the true actions and intent of Kyllos' would-be peers? Had he discovered why the Holy Order acted so secretive and evasive when Kyllos asked about the old Overlord Portals?

His stomach felt sour, as it did now with every meal. He slept only fitfully. The longer Jollis was away, the more guilt weighed upon him. He wished he were ten years younger and not burdened with a recalcitrant Oceanus Emperor. He could have investigated this himself instead of sending Jollis to be his lightning rod.

He pulled out the pearl and held it in his slightly trembling hand, then closed his fingers around it and shook his head. No. Let Jollis contact him when the Wanderer finally understood the nature of his mission.

He dropped the pearl into his pocket and clasped his hands together, bowing his head to offer yet again futile prayers to deaf gods.


"There you are," said Frenon. The corners of his lips twitched upwards. "My Lord."

Tarras did not feel the title was any more deserved just because he had changed from his robes to the more elegant clothes Rennis had acquired. Nor did he feel comfortable in them, as the tunic was too tight across his chest. While his attire would have been destined for the trash a season ago, they were a step above what some of the arriving former Nobles wore. That made him far more uneasy than any ill-fitting clothing could.

"Rennis has been waiting for you," said Frenon as he shouldered his crossbow. "Though I daresay the others are entertaining themselves quite well."

"In what way?"

"They are planning their new ventures when they reacquire their fortunes."

Tarras sighed and shook his head. "I now regret agreeing to dress myself this way. Perhaps seeing me in my shabby robes would give them a clue as to the reality of the situation."

"I shouldn't need to tell you this, my Lord," said Frenon with a slight tone of impatience, "But your brethren are very big on symbols. I reckon that is why they put up all those damnable banners, despite being such eyesores."

"The symbols were less important when they did not need to cling to them like driftwood in the middle of the sea. We paid them little mind before the Inonni came."

"Regardless, they cling to them now. Much of their conversation is debate over how the various Noble clans do things. Quite boring to my ears, but I was never privy to such..."

He trailed off. A gleam had appeared in Tarras' eyes. Frenon tilted his head in question.

"Frenon, do you still have contact with the workers who helped set up the stage?"

Frenon nodded slowly. "Yes, they're just down the road apiece. Why?"

"I will need you to contact them for one more job before I start my speech."

"Begging your pardon, my Lord, but Rennis is quite ready to chew iron with as impatient as he--"

"He will wait a little longer," Tarras declared. "This is important. Now listen carefully to me as to what I wish them to do..."

As Tarras explained, Frenon simply stared. Finally, he said, "With all due respect, my Lord, that is insane."

"Nevertheless, you will do it. Consider it an order from a Noble Lord."

"I will do what you ask, but you have stated in the past that you wish me to speak my mind."

"That is still the case, and your objection has been noted. I wish it done just the same. Make sure you impress upon them what the exact targets will be. The attendees themselves are off-limits."

"Understood," said Frenon as he re-shouldered his crossbow. "But no guarantees there will be no 'collateral damage.'"


"What Mage Verano has done is monstrous," spat Rolas. "There is simply no other word for it."

"And you do not consider what the Oceanus Mages may be planning to be any less so?" cried Hurus.

"And have not the gods themselves suggested punishment fitting the crime when it is as heinous as this?"

"They are not the ones to judge! It is for the Holy Order to ... for them to..."

"Ah! You see the folly of your own words."

"Do not mock me."

"I wish only to open your eyes," declared Rolas. "I would dare to say that Elder Yurton is as much to blame if he allows this to continue."

"He is not the entirety of the Holy Order!" shouted Hurus. "I maintain he is operating alone, against the wishes of--"

"What proof do you have of that?"

"And what would you have us do?" Hurus cried. "Turn against the entirety of the Order?"

"Something must be done," Rolas said in a tight voice. "This cannot be the orchestration of one man. We know experiments are being carried out in other Manors. Their Portals are being powered as well."

Hurus narrowed his eyes. "And how do you know this?"

Rolas laced his fingers together. "Certain reports have reached my ears."

For once, Jollis was loathe to stop their bickering. He had never felt at such a low point. He was out of ideas, and even the arguing of his supporters was welcome for any insight he might glean. "What have you heard?"

Both Cohorts flinched as if they had forgotten Jollis was in the room. Rolas stepped forward. "Wanderer, fellow Cohorts in other Manors are concerned. Some have taken it upon themselves to take readings of their Portals, and those are being repeatedly powered as well. They, too, wonder why the Portals have not been formally shut down as the Holy Order indicated they would be."

Hurus rushed forward. "The Holy Order is not required to be on a timetable!"

Rolas turned to him. "Nevertheless, it has been nearly a season now. That is long enough to glean whatever information there is to be had from them if they are not attempting transdimensional travel."

"You are not an expert in Portals."

"Stop it, Hurus. You are trying to defend something which is indefensible."

"Perhaps I am not as willing as you to throw away a millennium of Enlightened guidance!"

"That is enough," said Jollis. He turned to Rolas. "What details have you heard of these other readings?"

"Not much, I am afraid," said Rolas. "None of the other Cohorts have Mage Jothan's experience or ability. They can take only very crude readings, enough to indicate the Portals are churning with energy at irregular intervals."

Jollis was silent.

"Wanderer, in deference to my friend, what is the chance that only this Manor is involved in transdimensional experiments?"

Jollis' eyes shifted between them. He heaved a sigh. "I do not know."

Neither Cohort looked satisfied with that answer.

"I can go only by what I know, that it is happening here and now," said Jollis.

"I suggest the Oceanus Mages know more than you do," Rolas declared.

Jollis tilted his head. "Your statement is likely true, but in what regard?"

"I am considering your account of the overheard conversation with Mage Marlon. It is clear the Oceanus Mages are planning the destruction of multiple Portals. I suggest that the Oceanus Mage Guild, who certainly have more resources available to them than we do at the moment, may have determined what the Holy Order is doing, and they intend to stop it."

"And cause the deaths of many of our own brethren who are innocent in this supposed conspiracy!" Hurus cried.

Without looking at his friend, Rolas said in a low voice, "Perhaps that is the sacrifice we must make for our atonement. Many of us helped dig the earth to lay to rest the bodies of the Rogue Mages who were killed."

Hurus looked stricken. "They had no choice," he croaked. "They were following the wishes of Mage Verano, and indirectly, the Holy Order."

"It is the wise man who scrutinizes his tasks against the greater goals," intoned Rolas. "Only the fool accepts on blind faith that they will lead him there."

"And just who do we go to if we wish to question the actions of the Holy Order? To the gods themselves? To the goddess?"

Both Cohorts looked again to Jollis.

Jollis gave a cross look in return. "Do not stare at me as if I am to declare myself a divine avatar."

"We look for guidance, Wanderer," Rolas said in a solemn voice. "For you are the only one we believe we can trust now."

Jollis' stomach clenched again. He was reminded of the day -- so long ago it seemed now -- when Kyllos had first sent him to Oceanus to deceive an Overlord and his undraughted slave. Kyllos had said something similar, that Jollis was the only one he could trust to do his task.

Jollis' eyes widened.

No, that was not what his master had said. Kyllos had said Jollis was the only one he could trust. He had ended his sentence there. Jollis had filled in the rest, as he assumed Kyllos had meant the task.

Just like this one. Kyllos had sent him to be the lightning rod because Jollis was the only one he trusted to do it right. Surely Kyllos did not trust Jollis more than his own brethren at the Holy Order, as an Elder Apparent would know...

The force of the epiphany would have knocked Jollis off his feet had it had physical force: Master Kyllos had suspected the truth all along and needed Jollis to confirm it.

Jollis set his eyes hard. "Leave me. I will summon you when I am ready to discuss our actions moving forward."

Whatever disappointment the Cohorts may have felt at being summarily dismissed was tempered by the renewed sense of confidence from Jollis. They bowed to him. "Of course, Wanderer, we will remain close at hand," said Rolas.

"Do not hesitate to call upon us," said Hurus. "Please do not interpret my reluctance to accept the truth as disloyalty. I will faithfully serve you until we are sure."

"I have no doubts concerning your loyalty or that of your companion," said Jollis with a small, appreciative smile. "But I feel now is the time for consultation with a higher power."

The Cohorts nodded and left, believing he intended to meditate and commune with the gods. Instead, Jollis stepped forward and pulled out a Farviewing pearl.


"About damn time you showed up," Rennis growled as Tarras stepped into the back of the barn behind the stage.

"Do not blame me," Tarras said in a gentle voice. He lay a hand against his chest. "Blame the clothes I had to squeeze myself into."

"I tried to match your size, but I was going by what I last knew of you. I had not thought you could manage to put on weight traveling the countryside and cavorting with peasants."

"You would be quite surprised to learn just how well they can feed themselves without our intervention."

Rennis' jaw clenched. "Be that as it may, I--"

A scream rose from beyond the curtain, followed by the scraping of chairs and the scuffing of shoes, and then shouts of alarm, anger, and dismay.

Rennis bounded for the curtain. "What in blazing hellfire?!"

Tarras followed at a more sedate pace. He parted the curtain just as it closed behind Rennis and stood beside the shocked former Overlord.

The former Nobles had gathered in an irregular crowd in the center of the room. They shouted and gesticulated towards the peasants who streamed down the sides of the makeshift auditorium, trailing bits of dirt and mud behind them from the quantity they held in their hands. They threw a single large gob upon each banner as they passed, where it landed with a great splat. Tiny streams of dirty water trickled down the tapestries and dripped to the floor. A woman uttered a screech as splashed mud nearly landed on her.

Tarras scanned the crowd. He saw no one with any serious amounts of dirt upon them. The workers were doing as he had wanted.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.