The Gunny and Lenore
Chapter 53

Copyright© 2011 by black_coffee

18:50 Thursday, November 28th, 1991

139 Meadow Ln

Novato, CA 94947

For Thanksgiving, Kate went all out. Effy and Teddy helped. Dan had some of the local florists make up dried-flower-and-twig arrangements for the house, and a centerpiece for the massive table in the dining room. Pies, side dishes, and of course, the turkey – an enormous sample of the species, the scent of roasting fowl filled the house.

Kate and Dan had called the family spread around Texas earlier in the day, and Ben and Sandy were greeted with kisses – Lenore was unstinting in displaying her affection for both Ben and Sandy, and the other people in the house followed her lead. Admiral and Barbara Harding were next in line, and Deb at the end.

Ben had a huge laugh at Sandy's expense, when Dan solemnly informed Sandy he'd need to send the DeeCee Ranch credit card back to Dan Junior. Deb then presented her with a new card, on the Corbeau-Roux Vineyard account. He had one for Ben also, causing Sandy to laugh at him in her turn.

"Dan," Deb said, seriously, "One month, and then its campaign season."

Dan agreed, and pointed at Effy. "All we needed was him," and Effy blushed.

The doorbell rang, and Lynne appeared, with her Aunt and Uncle. "I'm really sorry about your family's friend," the Aunt apologized. "Thank you for having us on such short notice."

"Oh, it's nothing," Kate said. "It's been a very mixed-up week. Hey, you know, we're in the winemaking business, it's only right that we find you a glass of wine. Come on in ... meet everyone."

Denise and her father showed up around two in the afternoon. Lenore was only slightly surprised to learn that the slight, balding man was a lawyer. He certainly fit into the crowd in her Mother's house, telling jokes in a disarming manner, with a ready laugh. Denise, Lenore saw, was the light of his life, and when she was relaxed, her father was relaxed. After only two hours Kate gave him a standing invitation to return, anytime, unannounced.

The Gunny was pressed into service to carve the bird in time for supper at 1800 hours. He did yeoman's work rendering it into neatly sliced pieces, dressing the plates quickly and with consummate skill. Teddy helped him serve the meal.

"You've missed your calling, Gunny," a fairly drunk Kate told him. "Can you teach Dan how to cook?"

The two men shared a grin, and shook their heads simultaneously.

Through it all, Elena Collins smiled, and laughed, even teasing Dan about Kate's obvious state of relaxation.

It's wonderful for you, Elena, and I don't resent my Mom and Dad being happy either, but to me there is this hole where there used to be a reassuring wall against the weather sea. I can't really be happy, though I wish to the heavens that I could take more pleasure in meeting you. Lenore realized she was not-sober herself, and found herself watching Elena.

"You haven't grieved yet," Elena told her, with some degree of assurance. To Lenore, it seemed as if there were a small tunnel between her and Elena, with the chatter from the rest of the extended family leaking in from outside of the walls of the tunnel.

"What do you mean?" Lenore asked. You know damned well what she means, she told herself.

"It will come out, and you have to let it," Elena spoke seriously. Around them, the conversation continued, no one else seeming to notice. "It took nearly a year for me," she reassured Lenore.

"Do you know, you remind me very much of him? I wonder why?"

"Your brother once said something to me that made me wonder also. I think he was thinking of your Chief," Elena guessed.

Lenore realized the private conversation was private no more, as Ben told Elena, "Yes, you're exactly right. Lenore," he told her from across the table, "Elena's from a similar background to Kostowe, and she made me think of him, immediately."

Lenore looked next to Ben and caught Sandy's eye. "That's because she's family, too, Ben."


"Gunny, I just..." Lenore couldn't say it. Then, she found she could. "Always honest, Gunny. I'm not that interested, and I'm dry. Lie on the bed, I'll take care of it for you." Fresh from the shower, in his towel, the Gunny hugged her from behind, nuzzling her neck. She'd ... not exactly held herself rigid. I'm just really not responding, and that's going to hurt him.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.