The Gunny and Lenore
Chapter 35

Copyright© 2011 by black_coffee

13:05 PDT Monday, October 14th, 1991

NROTC, Room 152

Hearst Gymnasium

University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720

"Sir, I think I have to ask a favor," Lenore began.

The XO sat in his chair, and regarded her over steepled fingers. "Is whatever Commander Fales has you doing down south interfering with your studies?"

How do I answer that? Yes, it's interfering with my classes, that's why I'm here, but no, I'm not asking for relief, my grades are pretty darned good. "Yes and no, sir. Yes, there'll be a greater impact on my classroom participation, and no, I'm not asking for relief from what Commander Fales has me doing. The Commander called me a few hours ago, and asked me if I could clear it with you to miss Leadership Lab and Navigation Thursday."

"What the hell are you doing for him Lenore? No, don't answer that ... I think I can guess, and you probably have been told not to tell me anyway. You said it's Coronado, and you've mentioned boat handling, and I guess I can draw the lines between the dots."

"Yes, sir. I think it's important, sir." Do I really believe that, or am I having too much fun playing with the big kids? Lenore kept her face smooth.

He blew exasperatedly through his lips, and frowned at Lenore. "Ordinarily, I'd be inclined to say 'hell no', but your grades on your Navigation you've turned into Lieutenant Wheeler are excellent. Looking at you, I am convinced all your other grades are up to speed. Candidate, let me tell you, you're going to be too good to lose. Balanced against that is the fact that we are in the business of actually executing a mission for the nation that pays us, and the fact that you're in a position to do something more direct as well as graduate from here. So, given that my good friend Commander Fales has requested more of your time, on a classified mission, I will do my best to comply. You get Thursday off, and I'll have Lieutenant Wheeler figure out a way to collect your assignments and turn them in. If you could arrange with fellow students to get class notes for your other classes, it would be helpful. Suggest to them that it probably won't be a one-time request." Lenore nodded firmly, surprising herself, and it hadn't gone unnoticed. "Yes, Candidate, you know Commander Fales well also."

Surprised at the amused expression on the Commander's face, Lenore allowed herself to return the man's smile, and she felt a sense of... camaraderie, a shared viewpoint. Lenore suddenly felt she could trust this man. More than I could trust Commander Fales, though neither are trying to do anything to harm me. I really wonder why that should be so.

"Okay, a shift in topic. Midshipman DiPietro is looking remarkably shipshape and squared-away lately."

Lenore knew the smile on her face was fractured. With a little luck, he'll think that that's because I'm unused to compliments, which is true, but if he only knew... "Uh, thank you, sir."

He looked at her quizzically for a moment, and then nodded. "I don't need to know the details, but you've done a good job whatever it was you've done. I'm going to give you a harder nut to crack, and it might take a while, but we have until you graduate. I don't think you'll be going on Midshipman Cruise with him, but I'd like you to find a way to turn Midshipman Second Shiplett around."

There is no other word for it, a part of her mind observed. Lenore simply gaped at the Commander, and then, with a 'clop' shut her mouth. It took every ounce of her will to draw in enough air, and then say it. "Aye aye, sir."


"Hello, Chief," Lenore sang into the telephone. Leaving the Commander's office, for some reason, she'd felt more lighthearted than she had in a while. Being told you're doing a good job and that people are asking for you might have something to do with that. With the good comes the bad, though, and I have absolutely no idea what to do about Shiplett.

"Hello, Collins," the Chief's steady voice came back. "I would hazard a guess that the Battalion has agreed to a Wednesday evening departure?"

"Yes, Chief. All I'll need to do is leave a message for Deb and ask her to pick up the Gunny at the airport. I don't know how we'd get him a key for the Beemer if I left it there, otherwise."

"I'll forward the message on, if you'd like?"

"Yes, I'd like, Chief, and thanks."

"Very well, we'll rent a car in Diego. Would you handle that?"

"Sure thing, Chief. Kiss Deb for me and I'll see you guys Wednesday at your place."


11:05 PDT Wednesday, October 16th, 1991

139 Meadow Ln

Novato, CA 94947

Kate was aware that Teddy was moving through the house, but it took a while to register that Teddy had stopped and was watching her. Kate blinked, and pushed the safety glasses back up her nose from where they'd slid down for the umpteenth time.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.