The Gunny and Lenore
Chapter 21

Copyright© 2011 by black_coffee

08:25 Tuesday, September 3rd, 1991

28910 Matadero Creek Lane

Los Altos Hills, CA 94022

There, that should do it, Deb thought. Working with the high schools' student governments should get us name recognition with the student's parents. She'd been working on the campaign plan for a few hours each day, in between all of her other interests and concerns. She'd call the school tomorrow, and make the offer to the faculty.

Deb was stretching, remembering the previous evening with a smile, when the phone rang. Frowning, Deb saw it was her line, not the 'Harding Residence' line. "Deb Reineau," she answered.

"Miss Reineau, Commander Fales."

Blinking in surprise, Deb inquired, "And how may I help the Commander today?"

There was a chuckle from the other end of the line, and then, "I got a call from someone needing Accommodation officers for a foreign national visit to the Bay Area. Some fairly high-rank French Aeronavale officers and D'Assault executives are coming in town to visit the Blue Cube."

Deb frowned. "Commander, I seriously doubt I'll have the time to squire your visitors around. I'm a busy woman."

This time there was genuine amusement in the laugh. "No, Miss Reineau. Not you. Your protégée... Officer Candidate Collins. Petty Officer Collins won't do for the French, but Officer Candidate Collins, whose parents are into viticulture, would provide a wonderful escort and driver for the French visitors, wouldn't you say?"

Laughing at the preposterousness of the idea, or maybe the audacity of it, Deb answered, "You really don't like whoever stuck you with this, do you?" It was a rhetorical question, and Deb continued, "So, you're calling me, and want me to coach her on what she can and can't say, and what she might overhear that needs to be written down, and how to fill out a contact report?"

"Miss Reineau, you're confirming my decision to engage your services with every contact."

More like 'draft' or 'co-opt', Deb smiled, and then, feeling on top of the world, "Commander, it's nice to be recognized for one's talents. Since I'm not paid by you, and you have this great appreciation for that fact, perhaps we could be on a first-name basis? Please, call me Deb."

"Very well, Deb. I'm Walter, Walt. Deb, I'll need Lenore Thursday through Sunday morning, and if she's got a friend in the Midshipman Battalion, that would work out well. All she needs to do on Thursday is pick them up from the hotel and take them to the Cube, and back from the Cube to the hotel, via supper. She'll need to track her expenses, and I'll overnight her a credit card. Saturday she'll need to play gracious host."

Deb frowned. "Walter, she is a student," she began, but was cut off.

"Yes. I'll square it with the XO of her Student Battalion; he's a friend of mine. I don't think she'll miss any classes, but it'll be a crimp on her homework time."

"You know, she was supposed to be at her parent's this weekend with the Hardings and Kostowe and I."

Fales' voice sounded slightly puzzled. "I would have thought the Admiral would be at the Tailhook Association bash? That's why the usual Navy Accommodation officers aren't available."

"The Admiral has a speech in one of the conference rooms on the first floor on Saturday, I believe he plans to drive out Saturday morning and drive back."

"He must plan on staying sober, then. Those things are pretty wild, I hear. I'll send Collins a set of TDY orders and the credit card, and send her to the USAF and pick up some wheels. Deb, when I can make some time, I would like to fly out and meet the wondrous Candidate Collins. We're going to send her boat to Coronado, and she'll be busy down there on the weekends, that'll be a good time for me to visit. That's all I have today, anything on your end?"

"No, Walt, I don't think so."

Deb hung up the phone bemusedly, as Fales had hung up without saying 'goodbye'.


13:35 Tuesday, September 3rd, 1991

MLK Student Union

University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720

"Miss Collins, wait!" Startled, Lenore turned from her conversation with Denise. She'd been getting along well with the other girl, and found they had a lot in common. Lenore was considering taking her to meet the Gunny, and perhaps putting to bed one of the Gunny's worries that Lenore had no friends her own age.

Yet here was Lynne DiPietro, the freshman and Midshipman, trotting after them as they'd left the King Student Union. Lenore gave an apologetic half-smile to Denise, and the two older girls waited for DiPietro to catch up.

"Miss Collins, I was hoping to find you. I've been having trouble with our Economics homework, and I was hoping you could help me understand it."

Denise's eyebrows disappeared beneath her bangs at this. Lenore kept her face smooth – Sandy, I owe you another one for teaching me this – and asked, "Did Midshipman Second Shiplett send you to me?"

Aware Denise was intensely curious, Lenore watched DiPietro shake her head, sure the girl was suddenly self-conscious. "Um, they said to ask upperclassmen for help with studying..." The younger girl trailed off, uncertain. "I'm sorry," and started to turn away.

"DiPietro, halt!" Lenore surprised herself with the order, and Denise's eyes bugged out even further. "You were told correctly," Lenore continued. I'm going to have to start a study group, plain and simple. Best I do it with people I choose. "Tonight, we'll go over our assignment, and tomorrow I'll announce before Economics class that we're forming a group. You're just a little early, that's all."

The relief on DiPetro's face was nearly palpable, and the younger girl's spirits visibly reinflated. Lenore smiled at her, and told her, "You did the right thing, DiPietro."

Denise was struggling to keep a straight face, Lenore saw. "Listen, on non-Uniform days like today, it'll make things easier if you called me Lenore, when we're amongst friends. It'll probably help keep both of us from being embarrassed when you shout 'Miss Collins!' across the quad." She spoke it with a grin, and DiPietro took it lightly.

"Okay ... Lenore, thanks. I'm Lynne," the younger girl gushed.

"And I'm Denise," the third girl put in.

"Hi Denise, I'm pleased to meet you. I'm really sorry for interrupting your conversation."

"Think nothing of it," Denise replied diplomatically.

"Meet me at the Hearst Gym parking lot at fifteen-oh-five, if you're done for the day by then, and I'll take you with me. I'll have an errand to run, we'll go someplace to study, and I'll drop you off at your dorm later. Deal?" Lenore saw Denise frown for a moment, and said to Denise, "Fifteen-oh-five, five after three in the afternoon."

Denise nodded, as Lynne DiPietro skipped away. When Lynne was out of hearing range, Denise said, "Wow."


15:05 Tuesday, September 3rd, 1991

Hearst Gymnasium Parking Lot

University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720

"Hi, Lynne, done for the day?" Lenore called out as she neared the door to the Gunny's truck.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.