The Gunny and Lenore
Chapter 9

Copyright© 2011 by black_coffee

18:50 EDT Wednesday, August 7th, 1991

Dulles Toll Road (Center lanes)

Herndon, VA

Most of the conversation leaving Suitland was happy recounting of the day. Deb told the Chief how happy she had been to reaffirm an oath to the DoD, and he'd smiled at her.

The drive up the Beltway alternated between frustrating and quick. Deb cursed under her breath at the sudden transitions from 75 Mph to full stop that the Beltway was so famous for. Kostowe found G. Gordon Liddy on WJFK, and they listened to the man made famous by Watergate and misplaced loyalty comment on the high school antics of his son.

Finally, the traffic broke free enough for Deb to fly down the nearly-devoid-of-traffic Dulles Access road in the center of the congested Toll Road. Together they observed the congestion taper off as they neared Herndon.

"I want to thank you," Deb said as she turned the volume on the talk show down, "you have no idea how much I appreciate this. You've restored my confidence, and I never knew how badly it was missing."

Kostowe smiled at her. "I did it for many reasons, Deb. I'm very pleased with the outcome, all of it."

Deb nodded. "Chief..."

"Call me Jack, please, Deb."

She nodded again. "Jack. I'm having a tough time saying what I want to."

Kostowe sighed. "Ah. Deb, I'm an old man, and not too likely to be too embarrassed to say what needs saying any longer. I've made my choices in life, as have you, but they are not irreversible. I would think it is not too late for you to start new relationships. And if you met the right man, even now, it isn't too late for you to be a mother."

Deb stared ahead, driving automatically, unaware of the road. "All my loves have been women, Jack. I ... would need to find out if..."

Kostowe coughed delicately as the silence stretched. "And you would like to ... explore, might be the right word, with a friend you trust? Not as an expression of gratitude, but as an act of a friend who is only now finding her way again? Under those terms, Deb, there may be a chance. We will return, and over the coming days, we will ... see what happens. And you must remember, I am an old man."

Deb snorted, caught by sudden amusement. Either he's telling me he's not shy, or he's telling me he can't perform. Well, you have no idea how determined I can be, Mister. Aloud she said, "After we return."


17:35 PDT Wednesday, August 7th, 1991

Naval Medical Center Oakland (Oak Knoll)

Oakland, CA

"Gunny, we're not going home right away," Lenore told him as he climbed in the passenger side of the BMW coupe.

He looked over at her, as something in her voice had stopped him in the act of pulling the seatbelt across his chest. "Okay," he said.

Content to let her drive while she worked on whatever was bothering her: he was certain something major was up, he wondered briefly if it was about their relationship. No, I don't think she's suddenly come to her senses about the age gap. She's not about to end this, and I know I make her happy. There's no reason to worry. It's gotta be something about getting me a job or her schooling. Self-reassured, the Gunny waited while Lenore drove over the San Mateo Bridge.

He grunted when she asked him for toll money, and then as she worked her way through rush-hour traffic on the 280 freeway toward Page Mill Road, he asked if she were driving them to the Admiral's. "No," she said, "Deb's in Washington, and Barbara isn't expecting us."

They drove past the turn to the Admiral's as they picked up speed, and Lenore began to really work the car and transmission, the car smoothly hugging the road as she greatly exceeded the speed limit on what had become a twisty mountain road. The Gunny said nothing. Instead, he watched her as the excitement of the drive elevated her heart rate and the color rose on her cheeks. Rather than watch the oncoming road, he stared, fascinated, as she caught the tip of her tongue with her teeth, so it barely protruded from the near corner of her mouth. Entranced, he watched her drive, watched the smooth economy of her motions and the precise shifting. He was only dimly aware of the cornering forces and acceleration of the car down the rural road. Christ, I love her.

Finally, eyes dancing, she pulled the car to the side of the road in La Honda, and flushed, breathing lightly, she turned to him and leaned toward him. And she kissed him, first lightly, and then with some passion.

Moments passed, and then she broke the kiss. "I came up here to drive, which is what I've always done since I had my license. Back on the ranch, there was no real quiet place to think unless I took a horse, and that meant currying and taking care of the tack and a shower afterwards. And taking one of those new quad things Alex bought just isn't the same." She grinned at the Gunny. "I've never really driven on a road like that before. It looked like fun when we went to the Admiral's in Ben's truck, but Sandy was driving. I always wanted to come back up here, and I'm glad I did."

The Gunny waited for her to bring up whatever was on her mind. He didn't have to wait much longer, as Lenore took a deep breath, and told him of her day.

The Gunny felt his eyebrows climbing soon after she launched into her account. He only interrupted her once, asking "Kostowe and Deb are in Washington?" When she confirmed it, he let her finish.

When she had finished, he returned her gaze, as she looked at him earnestly. "Yeah, Deb and Kostowe did something about what we talked about on his boat the other day. And it's what you want to do," he'd told her. "Of course you should accept whatever Deb and Kostowe got for you." He smiled a little. "You earned it with learning how to sail the Chief's boat." And then his smile widened. "It'll be hard work. Don't worry about being good enough, between Kostowe and me ... and Deb, all you have to do is the work. We won't let you down."

He knew he had read her mood correctly, as her answering kiss was full of her promise. With a catch in his throat, he asked, "How quickly can you get us home?"


05:25 Thursday, August 8th, 1991

7914-B Arthur Street

Oakland, CA 94621

"I'm going with you," the Gunny said.

Lenore pushed him into the shower, while she pulled the sheets off the bed and started the washing machine's cycle. They hadn't used towels on a couch for the first time in recent memory, having not come home from the drive into the Los Altos Hills until after dark. The sheets were predictably mussed, and Lenore had had no idea how long whatever was to happen today would take.

Lenore went into the bathroom braless, with panties and makeup on. The Gunny gave an approving nod, and moved in to caress her breasts. She allowed it for only a moment, and then pushed by him with a whispered "Later, after."

She dressed in the one button-up blouse she had, and her best bluejeans. Shaking her head for her wardrobe, she promised herself she'd get back to Texas and pick up her clothes – and a few stuffed animals – someday soon.

"Gunny, I'm a big girl. Don't go overprotective on me. You don't need to be there. If I were some stupid fuck from Tennessee or Kentucky, you wouldn't go."

"Jesus, Lenore. You're not stupid, and you ain't from Tennessee, and you are not some simple fuck." The Gunny waited for her laugh, and getting it, nodded. "You're right. But I still want to go, even though I won't."

Lenore rubbed the sleepy feeling from her eyes as she made coffee in the bright starkness given off by early-morning kitchen lights everywhere. Soon enough, there came the sound of a vehicle outside the gate, down the driveway. And then 'Mister Dillon' knocked on the door. Lenore smiled into her coffee as she overheard the Gunny greet the mysterious man at the door.

"Good morning, I'm here to pick up Lenore Collins," the voice came to her.

"You're taking her where, and who are you?"

"Uh, to MEPS Oakland. You're Lenore's father?" The voice sounded worried, as if he hadn't been advised there was a father to deal with.

"No. I am Master Gunnery Sergeant Hebert, and you have not told me who you are." Lenore giggled into her coffee mug.

"Master Gunny, I'm Gunner's Mate First Dillon. There's no problem this morning, is there?"

"Just call me Gunny. No, Dillon. This is a good deal, right?" Lenore held her breath, waiting for the answer.

"Okay, Gunny it is. Gunny, it's the best deal I've ever seen. She's got friends, I think, and she's got the bearing to carry it off."

"Thanks, Dillon. Stay for a beer when you drop her off, okay?"

"Sure, Gunny. That'd be appreciated." Lenore heard the relief in Dillon's voice. Smiling, she put the coffee mug down, and with a sense of the importance of the act, stepped out of the kitchen into the cool morning air let into the foyer by the open door.

She kissed the Gunny on the lips, and heard Dillon's intake of breath. "Make us supper, Gunny?" she asked lightly. She received an amused snort.

Laughing lightly, Lenore walked up the overgrown driveway with Petty Officer First Dillon, feeling on top of the world.


The drive was silent for the first few blocks. As the car reached 73rd Street, Dillon couldn't restrain himself.

"Miss Collins, was that your boyfriend?"

"Yes," she said.

"Holy shit," came the fervent response.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.