A Novice Sorceress - Cover

A Novice Sorceress

Copyright© 2011 by Vlfouquet

Chapter 2

'Law of Contagion: An object that once was a part of another object will always be part of the original object unless the secondary object has been modified. Examples of this are blood, hair, skin, nails or teeth. A practitioner of the Arts should ensure that all of these items mentioned, from their own body, are destroyed leaving nothing for an enemy to get hold of... '

When Juliet, Katy's mom, entered the kitchen the next morning she found Katy sitting at the table with a toasted bagel and a glass of orange juice, reading the book she received for her birthday.

"Are you okay dear?" Juliet asked.

"Uh huh. Oh yeah. Mom, tell Tom I'm sorry for the way I acted. I really wanted that new video of the Whippers." Katy replied.

"Oh, I will dear, but you ought to tell him yourself."

"I know mom, but you will most likely see him before I will. He never gets up as early as I do. He's got study hall for first period."

Katy did not stop reading. Wow! This was similar to quantum entanglement that she had read about in a Science journal in the library. Thinking for a bit, she mumbled under her breath, snapped her fingers and then pointed her right forefinger at the candles sitting on the table. There was a slight whoosh and the candles lit. Katy's mouth dropped open. Honestly, she always laughed when reading that in a book, now she sat there staring slightly bug-eyed at the candle.

Her mom came to the table with a cup of coffee and a bagel, "Oh you lit the candles."

Glancing at her mom, she nodded her head. Yes, she lit the candles, but without any matches. Instead, she used a spell from the book. A simple cantrip it was called. Just like the program in any new programming language.

Print "Hello World".

Katy had said, "Fire light, fire bright, light my candle." Then visualized the candles lighting, snapped her fingers, and pointed her right forefinger at the candles. That was all it took.

Humm, it did say that the book had been spelled to help with the first spell and belief in the magic helped so the book helps with that first spell so that belief would be instilled.

Katy thought, "This is kind of like when mom started teaching me to cook. She got all the ingredients out, prepped the skillet, and then stood over me as she told me what to do. The first meal had been no problem, but the first time on my own I burnt the toast and eggs and undercooked the bacon. Now her mom had no problem letting her cook breakfast for the whole family, even supper sometimes."

Just then, her mom asked, "Well dear, any plans for the weekend."

"No mom. I wanted to see the new movie at the mall, but Susan had to go with her mother to her grandmother's."

"Well you could go by yourself."

"It's a PG-13, mom. The theater will not let me in when I'm by myself. I just look too young. I can see it now, thirty years old and trying to buy a bottle of wine for dinner and they will card me."

"Oh my" her mom laughed. "You say that now like that is a bad thing, wait till you are thirty!"

"Mom!" cried Katy.

"Anyway, I will open the rest of my presents, fill out 'Thank You' cards for all of them and, believe it or not, finish reading this book that Tom bought for me. This book is proof positive that Tom never opens a book before buying it.

"I will probably go to my laboratory later and work on Igor." Katy said with a wicked sneer.

Her mom laughed, "Okay dear but please, nothing smelly."


My thanks to DaveNotHere for his editing and proofing help. But the final results are mine and all criticism should be loaded onto my shoulders.

© Virgil Lee Fuqua III and 'vlfouquet.wordpress', 2008-2011. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog's author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Vlfouquet and Virgil Lee Fuqua III with appropriate and specific direction to the original contents.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.