Battlemage Nonetheless: Book 5 - Advocate - Cover

Battlemage Nonetheless: Book 5 - Advocate

Copyright© 2011 by Risq

Chapter 10

Riding into the small town, it was aptly named "Dresden's Last Chance"

There wasn't much to see but a few homes and a few businesses, maybe twenty to thirty buildings in total. Of course there was also the tavern that might have a spare room or two, but it was obvious that the Inn was more there for getting a drink than anything else.

The companions reached the town about mid day. Kat only wanted to stop overnight since they were so close and give the horses a break then push on. She wanted more cushion to get to the nest before she pushed on.

Kat had estimated it would take a week, including their stop over in the first town at the edge, before they got there. It wouldn't take as long because the Dragon's council was closer to reach than from where they started out. They could make it there in a couple weeks and be there in plenty of time to present their case if they didn't mess up.

They were two days out at best from the nest and they were surprised to even see this town here. It wasn't in any of Kat's memories. She wasn't really told what was on the way here by the Ancient Black Dragon, but she wondered if she ever even noticed this small settling.

This might save them from having to camp out another night in the wilderness.

Riding slowly up they weren't surprised to see hardly anyone around. A blacksmith shop was close by so they rode up and left their horses to have their hooves checked and decided to take a quick break out of the sun.

They normally would have rode at night, but after that first attack on Seth the first night out they decided that traveling during the day and protecting themselves from new dangers they hadn't ever seen before made more sense than chancing it.

As they walked up to the doors, they noticed that only a few people were inside. The tavern owner barely acknowledged them as they came in. He was a grizzled looking older man who looked too thin for his own good. He had on a grayish long shirt that was outside of his black pants and an apron on.

The man nodded their way as they took a seat and then started fishing something into four mugs out of the barrel behind him. They weren't sure what it was, but it had to be better than only the water that they had been drinking up to this point.

Taking a seat near the door, Dusty tried to casually look around the room as he did. He hated not looking around for threats any time he entered somewhere new. His first year in this world taught him that from his first tavern visit.

The man dropped the wet mugs on the extremely thick, yet very dirty table, and said "two crowns" and waited.

Dusty was blown away. At best it should have been eight coppers for four drinks not two crowns! For two crowns he could have gotten a thousand drinks! But he also realized that out in the middle of no where you could set your own prices.

Begrudgingly he paid the man and they sat around and quietly talked.

Dusty noticed Seth looking at him and he returned the look. There were nine other people in the room with them.

While the others looked to be probably residents of the small town, there were four, like themselves, who stood out.

There was a man similar in size to Seth. He had scars all over his arm that went down his shoulders into his sleeveless shirt. Dusty could see similar scars on his chest from his open collar.

There was a two handed broad sword near the wall where he was seated and by the size and extra wide blade it was apparent that it more than likely was his. He had salt and pepper black hair and had an eye patch over his left eye.

Next to him was a man who was dressed in light brown clothing, a cloth shirt and pants, and not much else in the way of protection. He had brown hair and the lack of armor or a weapon was noticeable. But he had a pouch that was slung across his chest from his right shoulder.

Dusty knew it was a travel bag, but he wanted to call it a man purse just once and have someone know what he was talking about.

Next to him was a light blonde man who was wearing a sword in a similar manner as Suzan across his back, but where as she had her harness around both of her shoulders his was across his chest. The man was thickly muscled and was generally similar in size to the first man.

But what caught Dusty's notice wasn't the men, but was the woman seated with them who was openly watching them all.

She had reddish brown hair that was cut short and looked like she had cut it with a sharp knife instead of scissors or shears. She could have easily been called pretty if she tried, but she had a look of "wildness" about her that you could just feel from her side of the room that seemed to make one think twice about taking a chance on her.

She had a long sword strapped to her waist, but where as the other men were barehanded she was wearing gloves. Something like what Calvary would wear for long campaigns on horseback.

Dusty couldn't get a general idea of what she was built like because from how she was seated she was partially obscured by the blonde man, but she looked to have a nice build on her in her light green short sleeved shirt on darker green pants.

Trying to look casual Dusty looked first at Suzan then at Kat. They also noticed it as well.

These were Dragon hunters.

But why were they here? Had they heard of Black's death and were after her horde? Was there another Dragon already in the area? Dragon's didn't share areas, so if there was then their job just got that much harder. And if the egg was damaged then they wouldn't be able to prevent the war that was coming.

Wanting to know the answer was quickly taken out of their hands as the woman seemed to just "bounce" her way up to the table.

As she approached, Dusty noted the slim figure that seemed pretty athletic from what he could see. She had long legs that made up almost half her body and slender arms. But on those arms he could see the small corded muscles that said she used her body a lot. As she approached she took off her gloves and folded them before she put them in her belt.

Stopping at Seth's side she looked at him for a few seconds before she started tracing her finger up and down his forearm as she then looked up to stare at Dusty. Her cool blue eyes seemed to almost pin him to his chair as she stared him with undisguised intensity.

Suzan and Kat were shocked at her completely brazen attitude and Dusty was confused. What was the woman doing and why was she trying to look like she was making a play for "both" of them at the same time. Did she think she was good enough that she could honestly handle both him and Seth?

"Howdy, see you all are here for the same thing that we are. Names Taylin, what do you say you combine with my team and we all take out that Black beast and share the treasure? It's not like there won't be enough to go around," said Taylin as she first smiled at Dusty then at Seth, totally ignoring the other two women.

"What makes you think we're hunting Dragon's?" asked Kat coolly.

If she couldn't have Dusty then no one else was getting to make a play for him in her presence. It also irritated her to be dismissed like this by the woman as unimportant.

"Female warrior carrying a sword that looks to be too big for her, you're a female mage obviously, male warrior with a huge axe that I bet is even more impressive looking up close to the ladies once he gets to swinging it their way," said Taylin as she licked her lips at Seth.

Seth looked up at her like she was crazy.

"And one male though I'll admit I'm not sure what is his specialty seeing as he doesn't have any weapons, but he's certainly got my attention and probably is carrying a lethal weapon of his own. I bet he's just hiding it and is waiting to show the right person how it works," said Taylin now licking her lips at Dusty.

Dusty fought every urge in his life to keep from looking at Suzan. He was sure this was irritating her, but he didn't want to look like he was deferring to her judgment, but it wouldn't matter as she spoke before he could.

"The only one who's ever going to see "that" weapon is me," said Suzan coolly herself.

"Oooooo, the possessive type huh? Don't worry its not like I came over here empty handed. I do have three males with me to trade with. Doesn't matter who you ladies pick, take it from me they won't disappoint. If you want to know what their specialty is before hand, so you can better choose, I can tell you but you won't believe me until you have experienced it first hand," said Taylin smiling big now at Kat and Suzan.

She guessed by her response that Dusty was Suzan's and Seth must be Kat's. She acted like it didn't matter who she spoke with so that the females would claim their men and make it easier for her to gauge who she could sleep with first based on the female reactions.

So far to her it looked like it would be tall, big, and ruggedly good looking first, and then later good looking and muscles after ruggedly good looking told him how good she was. She would ball his eyes out and he would be too tired to take a breath once she was done with him and then the other would be interested in some as well.

"No thank you," said Suzan tensely as she locked eyes with Taylin.

Taylin started to feel she was unwelcome and her demeanor changed. She hadn't ever backed down from a threat and wasn't going to start now. The room suddenly grew tense as the two stared at each other for a few moments.

"No thank you to sharing the men or to joining with us?" asked Taylin in a dangerous voice.

She wasn't used to not having her way.

"Does it matter? We have our own business we need to do and it doesn't include you," said Suzan as she stared at Taylin.

"You know it can be quite dangerous around here without friends. We've been here a long time looking for that nest. If you think we're going to give it up to someone just because they want to keep it all for themselves, you're kidding yourself," said Taylin softly.

Dusty recognized this for what it was. Taylin wasn't used to being spurned, but now she was getting ready to vent some of that frustration on his wife.

"Look we're not here to kill anything. Can we just go back to each group doing their own thing?" asked Dusty.

"Hush honey, Momma's talking right now. I'll be with you in a minute handsome," said Taylin without taking her eyes off Suzan.

Her response got the reaction she was after, she saw Suzan's eye tighten and her hands twitched. Taylin recognized that as a sign Suzan was a heart beat away from fighting her. That's fine she wanted a good fight anyway.

Even if she didn't get the male, a good fight always got her blood pumping anyway. Stefan wouldn't know what hit him once she was done with this bitch Taylin thought.

Before the obvious fight could break out Kat stood and quietly walked to the counter.

Everyone in the room, who was watching what played out at the table, watched her approach the tavern owner. They talked for a minute quietly, and the man, while animated, eventually smiled and reached out his hand.

Kat counted out ten golden crowns from her purse inside her shirt and then returned it. The man smiled as he nodded and then seemed to turn his back on that side of the room and busy himself with other things.

Returning back to her seat Kat sat down.

Taylin stared at her suspiciously before Kat spoke.

"Ok, anything that gets broken is paid, but I really wish we could get by with just this," said Kat flatly.

Taylin looked at her strangely as she smiled at Suzan and winked. Suzan seemed to relax and then smiled back.

"Taylin have you heard of a Battlemage?" asked Kat.

"Sure, so has every child. It's a popular fairytale that is used to 'teach kids that they can achieve anything', right?" she said to Kat as she used two fingers on both hands to frame her words as she spoke.

"Not exactly, Battlemages are real. Ever hear of the Kingdom of Stelmore?" asked Kat.

"Again another fairly tale, no one man leaves a crater like that. It took them close to three seasons to fill that in they claimed," said Taylin.

"I wish it were true. The Battlemage you seem to have heard of but seem to discount is seated right in front of you," said Kat smiling.

Dusty nodded and smiled at her.

Taylin looked at for a second before she burst out laughing.

"Good one, but you have to have better stories than that," said Taylin.

"He doesn't need to carry a weapon because he is one," said Suzan softly as she took and held Taylin's gaze.

The cool manner in which she did it unsettled her a bit. This was different than when she was pissed off at her earlier. Something in Suzan's manner changed and it made Taylin a bit nervous.

"Dusty, I paid for the table. What would you say it is? I'm guessing it's at least six to six and half inches thick, so that shouldn't be a problem for you. Could you please give Taylin and her friends a demonstration of what you can do?" asked Kat as she got up and moved back from the table.

Seth, catching something was up grabbed his mug and he moved back as well. Suzan smiled as she took hers and Dusty's mugs and backed away as well.

Taylin watching them to make sure they weren't trying to surround her, looked back at Dusty as he looked up at her and smiled.

Almost as if it was an after thought Dusty hit the table so fast that Taylin wasn't completely sure she saw his hands move. One second he was standing there and the next the table seemed to explode into a shower of splinters and wood.

She flinched as an afterthought but the table was long gone by the time she did.

Looking back at him she saw him smile, and with his right arm still extended where the table used to be he opened his left hand and said "fireball" and then a flaming orb was held there as he looked her in the eyes.

Taylin looked at him incredulously as he watched her. The other three seemed to find humor in her reaction.

"What was that!" asked Taylin in shock.

"That's my husband Dusty Reynolds. He's the current Battlemage," said Suzan with a smile.

Taylin looked at him for a minute still in shock, and then to everyone's complete surprise she appeared to be giving him the sexiest look she could as she smiled and lifted her index finger to her lips. She then twisted it with her head slightly down as she watched him and sucked on it for a moment.

"Oh no honey, we're not through with each other by a long shot," said Taylin softly and then turned and then quickly left before anyone could respond.

"Oh yes you are," was all that Suzan said calmly before she started to ignore Taylin on the other side of the room.

The woman kept making eyes at Dusty as they sat there. But he ignored her as they tried to unwind before they spent a quick night and got back on the road. The other three men seemed to be watching Suzan and Kat a lot as they moved their chairs around in a half circle around their table and watched the four of them.


They were surprised that while this was a Tavern it had six rooms, four on the second floor and two on the first.

They took three and entered the dusty environment. Dusty cast a spell and made sure to remove any vermin that were sleeping in the straw covered bed. He then went to Seth's room and did the same. After opening the windows in the waning light the group decided to call it a night.

Just after midnight Dusty felt the call of nature. Rolling over he kissed Suzan briefly and then got out of bed.

The only problem with their rooms was that in this poor town there weren't any indoor facilities so Dusty had to let himself outside to use what was there. Sleepily walking around to the side of the building he found the outdoor urinal.

It was an open room style setup with three walls and no doors. The open wall faced the blank side of the building next to it so that the men couldn't be seen easily. It could accommodate three men easily standing side by side. There was a room next to it that had a sit down toilet and that had a door.

He was just finishing up and was shaking it when he felt someone simultaneously reach around and grab his equipment from his hand with one of theirs, while at the same time sliding their other hand along his chest from behind.

Dusty jumped about four miles as he tried to turn around and stuff himself back in his pants to get out of the grasp of whoever grabbed him, so he could see who it was.

Looking back he saw it was Taylin and she was licking her lips as she watched his antics.

"What are you doing?! How did you get behind me? Why didn't I hear you?" asked Dusty in irritation.

"Honey I have to sneak up on a creature that can hear a mouse move from almost half a mile away. I can be completely silent when I need to be and get really loud when I have to. You know, under the right situations," said Taylin seductively as her voice almost seemed to have a growl to it now.

While Dusty was still fiddling with his pants, she slipped her arms around his neck and started trying to kiss his neck and face.

Dusty started trying to fend her off with one hand as he finished fastening his pants. She switched to trying to feel on his chest as he fought her off.

"Stop that! I'm married and I love my wife and family! No one is screwing that up for me! I won the lottery with them and I'm not taking any chances!" said Dusty emphatically.

Taylin seemed to lean back and smile playfully at him for a moment.

"Funny choice of words, screwing I mean. That's what your wife has been doing for the past few minutes since we've been out here jawing. No sense in you not getting yours since she clearly is getting hers," said Taylin with a playful smile.

"What are you talking about?" asked Dusty as all color drained from his face.

"Just after you left your room Davic went in. He's been in there a while now and I'm sure they aren't just trading names. He went in for one thing and one thing only, I'm sure by now he's getting it, so why not just do what she's doing and see what your missing," said Taylin as she started for Dusty again smiling.

But she stopped short as Dusty seemed to be agitated and wasn't reacting as she expected. Maybe she should have gone after the other one who was in bed sleeping. She liked this one better, but the other one would have been less of a challenge since he and his woman were obviously fighting since they weren't sleeping together.

"Oh my God we have to get him out of there! We have to do it before it's too..." was all Dusty got out before there was a scream from his room above. It was clearly male and he was in great pain. There was another one that quickly followed that one.

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.