Battlemage Nonetheless: Book 5 - Advocate
Chapter 8

Copyright© 2011 by Risq

While Kat had waited that morning for the three of them to arrive quite a few men had tried to "chat her up" as they passed by her going either into the city or as they left. Even in her generally loose fitting travel garb they saw the gem that she was.

Somehow she managed not only to talk to them in a friendly manner, but she also managed to get some useful information while not offending anyone or giving the impression that she was willing to go to bed with any of them.

Even though she was accustomed to the attention, she had long since become very selective in what she did over the last couple of centuries.

It didn't mean that she still didn't need to use sex to fuel her powers, just that she was far more careful so that rumors or other problems didn't come about such as people tracing what she did back to her and how she powered her magic. The last thing she needed was to be labeled a witch.

She survived this long by learning to be very cautious, though sometimes those lessons in learning were very painful and it was mainly done through trial and error. Keeping her eyes open had become second nature to her.

The three people she was waiting for came to a stop right before her at the city gates once they found her in the middle of the throngs of people coming and leaving the city.

"Happy you all decided to come," said Kat with a smile as she stood in front of the city gates awaiting the trio.

"Well we did take the scenic way to get here. So now I'm told that you have a Dragon problem you need our help with?" asked Dusty softly while smiling once she had mounted her horse and they were a bit away from the city.

"Yes I do, and if you don't mind can I tell you on the way? We really need to get started," said Kat as she smiled at them all and spurred her horse into a canter.

Dusty smiled and nodded as the others did the same to get briskly away from the city.

As they disappeared, the city guards who were at the gate and who were also keeping her company until the others arrived, all stared long and hard at Suzan and Kat as they left. That was a boring job but anything that let them meet women was a plus to them.

Riding out at least an hour further into the forest Kat started talking once again but was now no longer concerned if she was over heard.

"The Ancient Black Dragon known as Mearathatha, try saying that three times fast, was dying because she was attacked after leaving a Dragon council meeting. A few who were there that felt humans and Dragon's could not live together.

"But she was one of those few who didn't feel that way. While there were some who tried to persuade the others to attack humans, for now they are waiting to see what the representative of the human's have to say," said Kat to the group.

"Wait, what? Dragon's have a council? They actually meet? Why, what do they have to talk about?" asked Seth confused.

The rich sound of Kat's laughter rang out in the forest as she rode on.

She had to put a hand over her mouth to try and stifle some of the mirth. Seth bristled and started to look pissed at her making fun of his questions. Kat noticed his face and sobered up immediately.

"I'm sorry I forget that I've seen a lot on my journeys and not everyone knows what I know. Every form of life that has some form of intelligence in this world gathers. They gather either to fight or they work out their differences in an intelligent manner."

"I know you've heard of the Battlemage Aric Griffith, but how much do you know about his wife? While she was quite well known, well ... not just only in human circles," said Kat smiling.

"What was so special about her?" asked Suzan now listening with both ears.

"While she was human, she was the only one in history to become the Queen of the Werewolf nation. Every wolf would answer her call if need be. Every wolf recognized her power and position. Because of her, her entire family fell under their protection and that protection would be used a few times. There was a time that she had need of that position and every wolf of age answered her call," said Kat with sparkling eyes.

She couldn't tell them that she had first hand knowledge of Brianna, but she always admired her command of the wolves and she thought it was nothing short of a miraculous accomplishment for any human.

"But how was that possible?" asked Suzan intrigued

"That is something not commonly known, but somehow she made them all submit to her. Not even someone of the Battlemage's power could make them do that. They might have feared him and they might have answered his call out of fear of death, but not one of them did it because they held him in the highest form of respect.

"But as for Brianna they did it for her because of loyalty. To this day she is forever the Queen to be respected," said Kat with what looked to be pride.

"But what does that have to do with other creatures?" asked Seth.

"Every creature that has intelligences feels that other creatures aren't as "enlightened" as they are. They feel they are all sub-creatures. Take a look at this conversation. While I refer to all the different types of life as beings, you sometimes refer to them as "creatures".

"While I might sometimes use the term loosely, it holds a different meaning when I say it than when you do. I mean it to mean any being of intelligence or not, but the way you say it makes it sound like they are beneath you. I have had lots of experience talking to everything from fairies, elves, orcs, trolls, and now even ... Dragons.

"But there is one universal fact no matter who I deal with. All feel that other races or beings different than they are, are beneath them. As such, they all have ways you need to deal with them so as to not offend them. It's like visiting a different land every time you deal with a new species," said Kat smiling.

While she was admonishing Seth it felt more like she was teaching him in a manner as a mother showing her child a new animal for the first time. Seth knew he should be mad, but her manner of speech was more soothing than anything else and he took it as sage advice.

"So what does that have to do with the Dragons then? Are we to ride straight to them?" asked Dusty eager to talk about what she wanted from them.

"No, first we need to go to the nest of Mearathatha the Black. She had an egg there that will be left to fend for its self. Traveling to meet with the council would have issues of its own and they may or may not believe us. With the death of Black as our only champion of the human cause, having us protect her egg and then turned it over to the council will strengthen our case for peace," said Kat.

"Wait! Get the Dragon's Egg out of her nest?! In a Dragon's Cave?! Are you nuts?!" said Seth's voice loudly and he looked animated as he asked.

He pulled up his horse short and stopped. Everyone stopped and turned to look at him.

"You didn't say we were going to into a Dragon's nest for an egg! That's dangerous enough, but once other Dragon's know she's dead they will be after her horde. And a Dragon that old will have a huge horde. That will mean we'll have to deal with other aggressive Dragon's as well. I though we were going to get safe passage to talk with them, but this up's the danger level," said Seth staring at her.

"Yes it does, but what is the alternative? War? How would this be any different? We have to either brave this and save the world from war or we try to save it after the war breaks out. How much harder will it be to defend your family from multiple Dragons on the wing than from one or two searching for a horde that only I know where to find?" asked Kat as she casually looked at him.

Seth looked away as he thought about it. Sure it sounds good, but less than ten percent of the people who went into a Dragon's cave intentionally actually made it out alive. If they were there for any other reason than exploring, like say to steal gold or were stupid enough to go looking to kill one, that number dropped to less than two percent.

Not good odds for anyone one with common sense.

"So there is no other way?" asked Suzan.

"Not if we want to stop this and let both species enjoy something of what has passed for peace between our races. To be honest the Dragon's are scared. They have never had to really worry about humans, but lately they are faced with all the changes in the world. Combined with that is the fact that a human managed to kill one in solo combat. That is something that has them worried," said Kat

"Wait, a human killed one? Solo? Who?" Seth asked.

Dusty was sitting and listening so far. This was all new to him and he was trying to gather as much new information as he could.

"You forget your lore. Battlemage Aric killed one solely by himself to save the life of his wife and their family when it went on a rampage in his home city. But from the Dragon's viewpoint it was the Dragon who was murdered when he went to deal with the thief who stole his possessions. It really depends on who you hear the story from," said the Kat smiling.

"That's just folk lore, that didn't really happen. It's not possible for a single person to kill one of those beasts. But let's say it was true, even if he did do it why are they getting riled by it now after all that time," said Seth

"Dragon's live far longer than humans, they don't tell the passing of time like we do. To them we are just a spark, a flash in the span of life. So it took a while to deliberate and come to a decision. But since they hold stock in this, and because they were still around when it happened, it is something that is both true and upsetting to them. Then there is also the fact he killed one by himself using magic," said Kat smiling.

"Ok, that is another reason I never put stock in that folk story. No one, I mean no one, kills a Dragon with magic. They are simply magic incarnate. How is that possible?" asked Seth.

"Ok then, a question for you. I was in Stelmore a few weeks back and there was a huge glass like crater in the ground near the castle walls they are still filling in. I was told a mage named Dusty did it and I didn't believe a single mage could possibly have that type of power."

"But then I met Dusty here for myself a few days ago and realized that he must be the same one in question without having to ask any of you if he did it. So I also realized that since he was a Battlemage, just like Aric was, he probably can do things no one would believe or understand was possible as well.

"So were you there to see what Dusty did? Have you ever seen any mage do what Dusty can do when he's pissed off?" asked Kat smiling.

Seth thought for a moment then looked at Dusty who was looking at Kat. She was just smiling at them all as it registered with them. If Dusty was capable of doing things beyond imagining then Aric probably could as well. That meant he probably did kill the Dragon solo.

Seeing comprehension dawn on their faces she just smiled as she went on.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.