05 Walker - Cover

05 Walker

Copyright© 2011 by Banzai Ben

Chapter 67: Postlude

Present – Liz – At the cabin

For once things worked out for our crew and the trip to the cabin was uneventful but incredibly beautiful. It had been years since I'd been in the mountains of Colorado and I was kicking myself in the ass for not returning sooner. I made sure the girls rode in another car (much to Byron's and Thom's dislike) so Jens and I could work out the arrangements for Ira's service. Jens was more than amicable since she learned Ira saved Ben's life.

I hold and squeeze Bernie's hand as we drive up and say, "Bernie, this is the closest place to heaven I can think of."

Bernie answers, "Yeah Liz, if I had a place like this I would never leave. How could Ben leave all this?"

It's as if he read my mind I reply, "From what I've heard, Ben's dad was a real son of a bitch and abused him constantly. So now this place is just a bitter reminder of those times."

We exit the car caravan in front of a large, lovely, slightly rustic cabin nestled in the trees. The front of the cabin opens onto the valley and has a long view of the road leading in. The back of the cabin abuts a steep mountain.

Mira exclaims, "After occulating the mountains on our trip here I finally understand: America truly is the home of the free and the land of the brave."

Alexi corrects her, "My sister, you mean land of the free and home of the brave. And yes the scenery is most spectacular."

I notice that even the two little bitches stand in awe of what they are seeing and have seen. I know now's the perfect time so I announce, "Mira, we are all glad that you love this place so much because Jens and I have decided, with your consent, this is the place that we would like to hold the memorial service for Ira."

And Jens amazes me when she adds, "And Mira I would like to let you know you and Alexi will always be welcome here."

I look at Mira and see a few tears in her eyes as she answers, "Ms. Morgan and Ms. Donaldson, your offer is too kind because my sister Ira would have loved to occulate this location. However we are not prepared for the service."

I smile at Mira and nod to Bernie. He and Thom bring out the white marble headstone and I say, "Mira we are prepared now and we need to do this for you so you and Alexi can achieve some closure. I hope the memorial plaque meets with your approval."

Both Mira and Alexi break down in tears, Mira nods her head, tries to speak but can't.

We walk as a group to a nice shady place under a big pine tree. I ask, "Mira is this location suitable?"

She continues to cry and again nods her head...

The guys place the memorial plaque, we all gather around, I look at everyone and begin to recite...

Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not there, I do not sleep.

I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glint on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn rain.

When you wake in the morning hush,
I am the swift, uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circling flight.
I am the soft starlight at night.

Do not stand at my grave and weep.
I am not there, I do not sleep.
Do not stand at my grave and cry.
I am not there, I did not die!

I can barely finish then I begin to cry. I glance around and there's not a dry eye in the group, even Thom is wiping his eyes.

Mira pulls herself together, looks at all of us and says...

Present – Mira – At the cabin

Ms. Morgan and Ms. Donaldson have performed the most amazing act and I will be forever indebted to them. They have presented me what I have needed most: An end to my life with my twin sister Irina (who I will always hold dear in my heart) and the opportunity to start life anew. Hopefully I will commence with the children I wish to conceive.

I arrest the eyes of each individual and gratefully acknowledge, "Thank you my family and friends for this honoring of my sister and thank you Ms. Morgan for your words. Yes my sister Ira is not truly terminated, she will continue to live in all our hearts. Now if you would not mind I would like some time alone with the monument to my sister."

They all smile, nod and quietly leave me as I wished. I lie on the ground, beside my sister's memorial, stroke it and remember her, all the times we had together and slowly drift off to sleep...

I awaken sometime later and...

To be continued in book 6 "Home"

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.