05 Walker - Cover

05 Walker

Copyright© 2011 by Banzai Ben

Chapter 36

Present – Thom – C130 landed at DIA

I was tired of everyone reacting to everything (mostly in an incorrect way) and no one taking charge, so I took charge. I scrutinized the vehicles as they approached and wasn't sure they posed a real threat.

Now I needed to make sure we didn't pose a threat so I ordered Byron to lay down his rifle, I could tell he sure as hell didn't like that idea and I ordered Jim to stand down. We sure as hell don't need another fire fight, especially not on the private runways of DIA.

Jim complains, "Who the hell died and made you the fucking boss. If I feel like getting my weapons, I'm going to get them."

I order, "Linus, take him down."

Linus takes him down hard, the vehicles circle us one door opens and the person in charge steps out. Just like I thought, they were paramilitary. He struts towards us like a banty rooster and asks, "Where is Ms. Donaldson."

I decide this could be fun so I grin and answer, "You just missed her. The police took her away."

I watch as visible signs of anger cross his face and wish I could play a few hands of poker with him. He again demands, "What the hell happened?"

I reply with my own question, "Well just who the hell are you to be asking and what concern is it of yours?"

He spouts, "It's my concern because my orders were to secure Ms. Donaldson and her party, smartass! So tell me where she is or I will have my men teach you a lesson."

I grin at him (again) and threaten, "That would be the last order you ever gave and you would lose all your men."

He laughs and taunts, "Just how the hell do you plan on doing that? You're not even armed."

I whistle, the door on the C-130 opens and James is there with the mini-gun pointed right at the asshole. I yawn and reply, "Well, I'm not armed but my friends are."

Yeah it is SOP for James and the rest of the crew of the C-130 to stand by in situations like this, that's why I'm not worried.

I watch as his face turns red and then green as I again request, "Now who exactly are you?"

He says, "I was sent here to make sure Ms. Donaldson and her party are safe and to see you to stay here until Ms. Sedankina and her party arrive."

I poke him in the chest, "Was that to request that we stay here until Mira arrives or to detain us until Mira arrives."

He shrugs his shoulders and asks, "Aren't they basically the same?"

I shake my head and try to get through his thick skull, "Hell no! We might actually stay here if it was a request, but if you think you can forcefully detain us, then you're barking up the wrong damn tree."

I was losing my patience with this bastard so I repeat my question, "So is this a request?"

I can see him scanning the armed men behind me and calculating the survivability (which was almost zero) he finally surrenders, "It's a request Sir!"

I laugh, "Don't call me fucking Sir! I work for a living. Now since it's a request most of us will stay here."

He starts to complain and I explain, "Shut up and let me finish. Most of us will stay here while the rest of us go and liberate Jennifer Donaldson. I could sure use some of your men to help secure our perimeter."

He answers, "That's what we were sent to do in the first place." I watch as he deploys his men.

I shake my head and wonder what sort of mall-soldier this jerk is. Then I do a mental inventory of all we need to do, the resources that we have and realize this is going to take some work because it's a logistical mess and I hate logistics.

I smile broadly - it's time to delegate...

Present – Byron – C130 landed at DIA

Thom orders, "Byron, James, Linus and Maria front and center."

It's a surprise when he includes Maria. We gather in front of him and he says, "Okay guys, here's what I need you to do."

Byron, you handle getting Hammer and Todd to the hospital and find out where the hell those guys are that Jennifer arranged for to watch them. We're too short of crew right now to allocate anyone for protection."

I question (more just to bother him because I already know the answer), "What about using some of these new guys."

He laughs, "Byron, don't tell me you've gotten so old you can't recognize weekend warriors. These guys aren't fit to even hold a weapon, much less give us any real help."

He looks at Linus and orders, "Linus, throw together a rescue team for Jennifer using Matt and Jim. Make sure they know you're the boss and understand the rules of engagement."

Linus questions...

Present – Linus – C130 landed at DIA

It's good to see Thom (or anyone) taking charge and I'm happy (but surprised) he included Maria because I didn't think she was part of the team yet.

He gives me my assignment but I need clarification so I ask, "And what are those rules?"

Thom answers, "Non-lethal unless Jennifer's life is in peril."

I continue, "Do we know where she's being held?"

He grins and says, "Not right at the moment, but I saw her pickup a cell phone when she left the C-130 and tuck it in her pocket. Now James, this is where you come in. Figure out whose phone she grabbed, then get on our systems and use the phone to figure out where they've taken her. Then assist Byron with Hammer and Todd."

James says, "I'll start on that right away." Then he leaves.

Maria asks, "What am I doing? Helping Linus."

Thom smiles and says, "No sorry about that. Since we've lost James, you're logistical support."

I worry what's coming next when Maria asks, "Just exactly what does that mean?"

I can't believe what Thom says to her. She's left speechless and dumbfounded as I grab her arm and lead her away. I need to have a talk with her before she kicks Thom's ass.

Present – Maria – C130 landed at DIA

I can't believe it when I ask for a clarification of my duties and Thom says, "Well sweetie, I broke a coffee pot that needs cleaned up and while you're at it see about making some more coffee. Oh and I think we could all use a little snack - I know sandwiches would be great. And if you could deliver mine I would appreciate it."

I'm stunned since I thought I would be helping Linus. Linus leads me away, then it hits me and I spout, "I'm going to kick his ass! Just who the hell does he think I am - a fucking servant?"

I try to yank my arm out of Linus's grasp but Linus holds tight and answers, "Maria, you need to see this for what it really is. Thom's just testing you to see if you will follow orders before he lets you on the team."

I continue to complain, "Well I sure as hell don't want to be on this team if I'm a REMF!"

Linus continues to try to soothe me, "Come on Maria I know you've had shitty assignments before. So just play the game with Thom and make me proud."

I finally yank my arm out of his grasp and reply, "Just why would you assume I've had shitty assignments. It wouldn't be because I am a woman, would it?"

Linus gets serious and answers, "Listen I don't think that way and I sure as hell don't like you assuming I'm that I think that way. I let it slide the first few times, but I'm tired of it so cut it the hell out. Now we both have missions to do: I'm doing mine and I would suggest you keep your mouth shut and do yours, because it really is a test."

He storms away and I worry I've pushed him too far but then I remember my Princess Boss's advice. I run, catch up with him, spin him around, give him a smoking hot kiss, pull away and say, "Thank you Linus for helping me get the right perspective on this, sorry I got all bitchy about it. But when you get back, I'll be looking forward to some make up sex."

I stroll away with a little more than usual sway, look over my shoulder and YES Linus is watching me. I head into the C-130 and decide, make a sandwich my ass! I'm going to fix Thom a sandwich alright, and a little bit more...

Present – Byron – C130 landed at DIA

Thom handles the situation with the weekend warriors masterfully and defuses what could have been a big fight. Then he gives me my assignment, which I already knew was coming. He gives Linus his assignment, which was also expected. But I wondered what the hell he was going to have Maria do? I couldn't believe it when he told her to clean up his mess, make coffee and sandwiches and bring him one. Linus wisely gets Maria the hell away from Thom before Thom gets his ass kicked.

I smile at him and say, "That was a stroke of genius and masterfully played."

He laughs, "Yeah I figure right about now she's giving Linus hell."

I reply, "And knowing Linus he's not going to put up with that very long."

Thom rubs his chin then says, "Shit! It looks like it didn't work out quite like I planned."

I turn just in time to see Linus watching Maria as she sashays away and add, "Yeah Thom, I would say Linus is in love."

Thom answers, "Well, it was a good try but I still have a few more tricks up my sleeves and she still has to follow my orders. By the way, shouldn't you be doing something about now?"

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.