Meet the Author - Cover

Meet the Author

Copyright© 2010 by John Smith

Chapter 9

As soon as my neighbor answered the phone, I said, "Teri, this has got to stop!"

"What happened this time?" came the amused response.

"A casserole. Chicken, I think."

"Betty's chicken casserole is about the best there is."

"Teri! First the apple pie, and now this! It was sitting on the step. She rang the bell and ran off. This has to stop. What am I going to do?" I implored.

With a bit of laugh in her voice, Teri said, "You could invite your neighbors over."

"My ... Ok, fine, come over at six."

"I'll bring a salad, I think that's about all you'll need."

"You're not taking this very seriously."

"Brad," Teri said without the humor in her voice this time, "Betty feels like a real idiot. She still thought Cynthia was thirteen, or something. When she found out her eighteenth birthday was in just over a week, I thought she would fall over. I'll have a talk with her, there is no way in the world she could talk, much less show her face, to you. She's mortified about what she did."

"Please do, I can't take this sort of thing."

"Not a problem. Oh, and one other thing ... did she add the potato chips on top?"

"I think you set this whole thing up, just so you could get a free meal out of it!"

Teri snorted and then said, "I wish I could take credit for that. Between my explanation of how old Cynthia is, and your darling girlfriend openly sobbing and saying things about how much it has taken you to open up after Melody's death, I'm surprised Betty didn't have a coronary."

"It couldn't have been that bad," I said pragmatically.

"Brad, I am using the 'toned down and condensed' version of what Cynthia said."

"Oh," I said, not knowing what else to say.

"We'll see you at six," Teri said, and then the humor in her voice reappeared, "and thanks for the invite."


It was ten to six when I heard the knock on the door. I had a doorbell, everyone on the street did. Then I heard the door open.

"Brad?"

I smiled, hearing Cyn's voice.

"Back here," I called out.

I was just changing Kim's top. She'd managed to make a mess of it during her dinner. I think there was more on her top, than reached her mouth. Some days are like that.

"Here, let me," I heard Cyn say as she reached to take over pulling Kim's top down.

The top was straight, Kim was smiling, and Cyn had her up into her arms. I would have still been trying to get the top straight. Sometimes, they never went on right.

"I could smell the casserole," Cyn said. "I love it when she brings that to pot lucks. I'm just sorry that you got it, this way."

"Me, too," I said. I picked up Brian and we walked out to the kitchen. "Did your mom call her?"

"Yeah, I heard some of the conversation. Betty didn't know what to do and felt bad, so she started to cook ... well, that led to her giving you what amounts to 'guilt gifts.'"

"We all do stupid things, you know. She could have just said she was sorry. More to you than me."

The doorbell rang. Cyn went off to answer it, as I was grabbing the hot pads to pull dinner out of the oven.

Teri came into the kitchen a moment later.

"Here, Brad, let me take care of that."

"Be my guest."

"I thought you might want to put plates out?"

I put my hands up to my head and groaned as I said, "I knew I forgot something."

Dinner conversation was put on a temporary hold as we started eating. Teri had been right. This was really good. I was looking forward to cutting into that pie.

After we had stuffed ourselves, Tim asked what the next date was going to be.

"Something a bit more sedate I think," I replied.

"Really?" Teri said in surprise. "I got the impression you two had quite a time."

Cyn blushed.

I replied, "Yes, we did. It was ... well, a bit overwhelming for me. I think Cyn felt the same way."

This time all eyes were on Cyn.

If that wasn't enough, just then Kim put her hands out towards Cyn and said, "Mama."

Cyn reached out and took hold of my daughter as though it was nothing. When she had settled back into her seat with Kim in her arms, she realized everyone was staring at her.

"What?" Cyn asked.

"Did you hear Kim?" I asked.

"Yes," she said as though I was crazy, "why else do you think I grabbed her?"

"Dear," her mother responded, "I believe Brad was talking about the little fact that Kim called you 'mama' and you didn't even react."

"She's been doing that for a week or so," Cyn said looking puzzled. Then turning to me asked, "Didn't you know?"

I noticed that my eyes were a bit blurry from the extra moisture, as I shook my head.

"Sorry," Cyn said softly, "I just thought..."

"Cindy, they're calling you mom! Isn't that a bit weird?" her brother asked.

Cyn shrugged her shoulders.

"Not much of a response," her father said. "Motherhood is a big responsibility."

"Dad," Cyn said, drawing out his name. "I believe it was mom who pointed out that I was the only constant female in their lives. Why wouldn't it be natural for them to start calling me that?"

"Well, Cynthia," her father replied, "it sort of suggests that you have already decided where this relationship is going. Did I miss something, or were you two just starting to date?"

"Cyn and I are starting to date, but I guess things like this are bound to happen. I remember when Brian started calling me 'dada' before he called Melody 'mama.' It upset her until she learned that the word 'dada' was easier to form than 'mama.' At one point he was calling us the names interchangeably. I guess we," I said, looking at Cyn, "have a lot to talk about."

"Maybe more talking and less kissing," Tim said. Then almost immediately jumped and said, "Ouch!" as he looked at his sister.

There was obviously something that had happened under the table, but no one else said a word about it.

I jumped in, changing the conversation by asking, "Who wants pie?"


I pulled into the parking lot Monday morning, dreading going to work. As I packed up Kim and Brian to head into their daycare, I sighed. Work had always been a release for me, in a way ... something to occupy my mind and get lost in. Today, I knew I would be asked a million questions. Questions I didn't want to answer.

I couldn't have been at my desk for more than two minutes.

She walked in, unannounced, and sat on the edge of my desk. Her long legs, encased in silky nylon, made a subtle sexy sound as she slowly crossed her legs. She was good, or bad, depending on how you looked at the situation. When my eyes reached her face, there was a self-satisfied smile upon it.

This could have been out of a story I was writing. Unfortunately, the object of many a man's fantasy was right in front of me. Internally, I kicked myself, wondering what this was about.

She didn't wait for protocol, as she said, "I heard you were out on a date."

"I was," I replied, not wanting to give her any ammunition.

Stephanie was in my department of thirty or so people. She was also deadly beautiful, with a wit to match. Guys in the company, who got the nerve to show interest, usually went whimpering away. I had no idea why she was here. There was a glimmer of trepidation, if she thought I was dating...

"Reports say she was ... well..."

'Here it comes, ' I thought.

Stephanie turned, facing more toward me, as she continued, "Beautiful, and graceful. Nice combination."

I was floored and didn't know quite how to respond. This was not at all what I had expected to hear.

Just then Larry, one of the men I saw Friday evening, popped his head around the doorframe.

He had a real big smile on his face as he said, "Get lucky?"

I was amazed to watch Stephanie react in what I might describe as a bristle. She turned her head towards the door.

"Larry, another comment like that out of you, and your darling wife and I will have a chat. Do you understand?"

Larry didn't respond. He hadn't expected to see Stephanie in my office and his words had come out before his brain had kicked in. After his eyes just about exploded from his head, he sort of nodded, as he ran away.

Stephanie turned around. I noticed her searching my face with her eyes. She grabbed hold of my hand.

"Brad," She said, "I hope he didn't upset you. You know Larry..."

I smiled and responded, "Yes, I do. He was absent the day they went over 'manners' in school, and obviously they didn't have any where he grew up."

Stephanie laughed, let go of my hand, and then said, "It is good to hear the humor in your voice again. I heard you actually laughed on Friday."

"Have I been that bad?" I asked, pondering the question myself.

"Brad, all of us understand," she said. Then she paused before added, "Some of us, more than others. Whoever the woman is, she is doing good things to you. If anyone gives you grief, let me know." Then, with the fire in her voice that she'd used with Larry, she added, "I'll take care of them."

I looked up at Stephanie, hardly believing my ears. At the same time, my eyes started to moisten. There was no way that I would ever know the motivation behind her need to defend me. I also realized I had never really understood what a good friend I had in her.

She slipped off the desk and walked out.

I sat there for the longest time ... just looking at the doorway. That was one for the books. It was truly unbelievable.


As I pulled up in the driveway, I noticed the car across the street. It was the same one I had seen last week. It meant Cyn's friend was over, and I wouldn't see her. My shoulders slumped. I was looking forward to talking with her. Then I took a deep breath, as I realized that I was setting expectations that weren't reasonable.

Brian let me know he was ready to get out of the car. I took them in, one at a time, and got the two situated. Dinner would be the next item on the agenda.

Kim is at one stage of eating, Brian at another. I am on another spectrum. I have to wait to eat, until they are done. It makes for interesting meal preparations. Sometimes, especially after the day I had, 'easy' is about all I can manage.

With some Cheerio's set in front of him, Brian was content, for the moment. Kim was watching her big brother when the doorbell rang. I could feel myself tense up. Another pie or casserole was not what I needed at the moment.

Telling Brian to behave, I had Kim on my hip as I went to check out the front door. I opened it to find Cyn and her friend.

"Hi," Cyn said.

I noticed as I returned the 'hi', that her friend was just staring.

Cyn reached out and took Kim from me. She smiled at Kim, and nuzzled her neck, making her squeal in delight.

"God! Does he have a brother?" the friend asked.

My face twitched with amusement, and I answered, "Yes, I do, although you wouldn't be interested." I let that hang for a good thirty seconds before adding, "He's ten years older than me."

The pained look on the friends face, along with the bewildered look on Cyn's face was too much. I couldn't help but laugh.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.