Meet the Author
Chapter 6

Copyright© 2010 by John Smith

Cynthia came home with a bit of apprehension. All day long she had thought about what her mother wanted to talk about.

Chapter 9

It was a devastating chapter, without knowing the source. Understanding where the words came from, created images that were truly unbearable.

Her mind was so wrapped up in the process that she might as well have been home. Attending school had been a complete waste of time. Luckily for Cynthia, it was one of the few Fridays when only one of her classes had an end of the week test. She knew as soon as the 'end of class' bell rang and she was only half way done with the answers, that she had failed that one.

When she arrived home and found her mother waiting for her, she realized how preoccupied she had been. Normal occurrences had just not taken place.

"Where's Tim?" Cynthia asked, realizing he had not walked home with her.

"With your father. Now come and sit. I have a few questions for you. I think I already know the answers, but I'd like confirmation."

This was not at all what Cynthia expected. She found herself being led over to the sofa.

"I read the rest of story this morning, after you left for school," Teri said.

"Oh."

"I know you might see this question as one I shouldn't ask, but there is a very good reason. You had no idea, when you started reading this story, that Brad wrote it did you?"

Cynthia swallowed and looked at her mother, then slowly shook her head.

There was a slight pause before Teri asked the next question.

"You found that out recently, I gather. Now don't look at me like that. I haven't talked to Brad. It was thinking back to the dinner the other night. Your brother was being put on the spot. The whole thing makes me want to know how you two found that site in the first place, but I'm not going to be nosey. I'm asking questions for a specific purpose and it has nothing to do with me."

Cynthia was a bit confused by that, so asked, "Who does it have to do with?"

Teri rolled her eyes.

"How did you find out it was Brad?"

A guilty flash crossed Cynthia's face. Then she answered, "Tim found out and wouldn't tell me who it was."

"When he babysat for Brad last week," Teri noted, as her head was nodding in confirmation. "Then how did you figure it out?"

"By reading my favorites. I actually stumbled on it by accident. I searched by date and while not thinking about it typed in the day Melody died. I almost didn't do the search, thinking it was a pretty morbid thing to do."

"But you did it anyway?"

"Yeah. Well, that narrowed the list down a lot. When I saw that one, I kinda knew. Just to make sure I read chapter eight. That was a good one," Cynthia said with a bit of a laugh. Then her face saddened and she went on, "Then I just went to the next chapter, without thinking. I couldn't get past the second paragraph."

"Have you gone back since and read it?"

"No, I couldn't."

"What about chapter ten, or eleven?"

"No. I read chapter twelve, cause he just posted it, knowing it was him. Why do you want to know all that?"

"I'll explain later," Teri said as she looked at her watch, "but right now we need to get going."

"Going? Where are we going?"

"I'll tell you along the way. We need to get out of here so we don't hit any traffic. Do you need to use the bathroom before we head out?"

"It might be good to know where we're going?" Cynthia asked.

"We have at least a twenty minute drive."

"Ok, as you grabbed me as soon as I walked through the door, I'm using the toilet now."

During that time, Teri made a call to her husband and when Cynthia came back into the living room Teri was ready to go.

In the car, and on the freeway, Teri pulled an envelope from her purse and handed it to Cynthia to look at. Cynthia took it with curiosity and started to look.

"Airline tickets ... Mom, what's going on?"

"We're taking a trip."

"To ... to San Diego!"

"Yes, and from here on out there shall be no talk of anything from home. This is a girl's weekend. You and me are going to have fun," Teri said.

Teri meant more with her words than Cynthia knew. Neither of them had their cell phones. Teri made sure hers was plugged in, and left it at home. Teri also made sure Cynthia's was not in her purse, before they left the house.


When the 'girls' got home that Sunday night, the house was dark and silent.

"Good," Cynthia said.

"What?" Teri said, still trying to play innocent.

"It's just you and me. When are they getting back?"

Teri looked at her daughter and frowned, knowing that she wasn't going to buy that they were just 'out.' Cynthia had let a few things go, when Teri played them off. The lack of her cell phone had been the biggest irritation. As they took the flight home, the questions became a bit more pointed.

"They'll be back when I call," Teri informed her daughter.

"Good. I have one thing to do, and then I will have some questions for you," Cynthia said with some certainty.

"Like what?" Teri wanted to know.

"After I do something. It won't take more than fifteen minutes."

"Fine," Teri answered, and hoped what Cynthia was doing was looking for her cell phone, her missed calls, and her raft of messages.

Teri couldn't, and didn't want to, say much more. This weekend had been very special in many ways, for her, as well as for the two of them. It had been a good bonding time for the two of them, that was long overdue. She wanted that feeling of closeness to stay as long as possible.

Cynthia pulled her suitcase, the one that had been packed before she'd arrived home Friday, up to her room. Then she immediately went to her computer and turned it on. It took a good four minutes before she was logged in and had "Letters Written," chapter 10, up on her screen. She read through it, as well as chapter 11, twice ... confirming what she had suspected.

Her phone interrupted her thoughts. The ring tone told her who it was and she wasn't sure if she should answer. Then she knew better.

"Hi, Brad," she said as cheerfully as she could.

"Cyn, what's wrong, and where have you been?"

"Mom took me to San Diego for the weekend. I just got in. My dad and brother are showing up soon, I think, so can I call you back?"

"San Diego? Yeah ... fine, but yeah, call me back. I want to hear all about it."


I had noticed something odd going on, across the street, over the weekend. Several times I saw Tim and John outside, but Teri and Cyn were obviously missing. What had made me smile, but even more curious, was the pizza delivery Saturday night. Having lived on the street for a few years I knew, from neighborly talks, the habits many around here had.

Betty and Tom, next door to my right, always left the top right light on when they were going to be gone for more than one day.

Frank and Sara, to my left, had a cat sitter show up when they were gone. She always arrived at five in the evening and stayed until eight.

Teri, across the street, had visited her sister twice in the time I'd been there. She'd made food and left it in the freezer for them to heat up. The gossip was that she knew John wouldn't eat right if things were left up to him.

So the pizza delivery was out of place. As well as John and Tim were actively avoiding me. Earlier today when I saw them out the window, I came out the front door. It was almost as though they were watching for me. They disappeared when they knew I was close enough to talk with them.

When I saw Teri and Cyn arrive a little bit ago, I waited. After getting the kids situated, I noticed Cyn's bedroom light on. Not being able to resist, I called.

When I hung up, I sighed. There was an obviously rushed trip to San Diego, that I knew. It greatly disturbed me that I was being avoided.

Then I panicked. I knew what was happening!


Teri called her husband. After ten minutes of waiting downstairs for her daughter to return, she became worried. She didn't want everything to backfire. She was sure Cynthia would start asking questions she didn't want to answer yet. If John could get home before Cynthia came back downstairs, then maybe she could at least delay the inevitable.

What do they say about a perfect storm? Three forces colliding at once.

Teri heard the garage door open, meaning John and Tim were back.

The doorbell rang, and startled, Teri went to answer it. She opened the door as Cynthia walked down the stairs and Tim and John came in from the garage.

"Brad!" Teri said, shocked.

"Where are the kids?" Cynthia immediately asked, noting I was alone.

"They're fine for the moment," I said. Then went to the meat of why I was there. "When are you leaving?"

I noticed two contrasting expressions on Teri and Cyn.

"That's just what I was going to talk to Mom about. Mom, I just got through reading ten and eleven," Cyn said, then turning to me, she asked, "Those were about me, weren't they?"

Four sets of eyes were on me. I looked down, knowing I had just lost so much of what had become my life. My vision blurred as tears started to form.

I nodded, knowing words would be unintelligible. How could I have expected anyone to understand what I went through. What wishes I had. Where events turned and changed my life, from destruction to hope.

Knowing I was no longer welcome, I turned and walked back across the street.

"I hope you're happy mother," I heard Cynthia yell, before the front door was slammed shut.

Having just cleared the curb, I stepped onto the sidewalk when arms engulfed me. I didn't know anyone was near me and I was set off-balance. Cyn saw my face and we both had a look of surprise as we tumbled down to the ground.

Shaking my head to clear things, I looked over at Cyn, who was sitting up as well. I stood and gave her my hand. That is when I noticed we had company. John and Teri were there, looking at us.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.