A Promise - Cover

A Promise

Copyright© 2010 by Telephoneman

Chapter 8

It was almost noon the next day when I approached my car. I was very alert, hoping to spot Lyn as I looked around. Seeing no sign of her, I deliberately took my time walking around the car as if checking everything was fine whilst in reality I was hoping that Lyn would see me and come out.

Instead it was a child's voice that I heard ask. 'Is this your car?'

I turned and smiled at the young girl, who looked around six, although I could easily be out by a couple of years either side. 'Yes, this is my little Mini. Do you like her?'

She paused to consider my question but instead of answering asked me another. 'Why do you call it "her"?'

How did I explain that to a six year old when truth be told I couldn't really explain it to myself. Fortunately she asked another question before I could answer, although that next question didn't require me to answer either. 'Are you Mummy's new boyfriend?'

The reason why I didn't need to answer was because it was answered for me. 'No Sarah, he's not.'

'But I saw you get out of his car last night.' the youngster responded assuming, as children often do, that everything was black or white with no greys in between.

'He was just giving me a lift home ... wait a minute young lady, what were you doing awake and out of bed at that time of night?'

Sarah giggled. 'I couldn't sleep and heard a car pull up so looked to see if you were home.'

'I'll talk to you later madam!' Lyn told the little girl, who was almost certainly her daughter. 'Sorry about that but I think the word precocious was invented just for her.' She said to me.

What is it about men and cute little girls. As soon as she smiled at me, almost knowingly, she had me wrapped around her little finger, as they so often say. She had her mother's good looks and straight dark hair although her eyes were brown rather than blue. She also had an impish grin that just grabbed me.

No doubt under the little girl's spell, I made an instant decision, well almost instant as I did double check that Lyn had no meaningful rings.

'So Lyn, how about that drink you promised me last night?' I asked smiling.

She looked taken aback for a second or two, but soon recovered. 'I seem to remember a drink being mentioned but no promise.' The smile she gave me showed that she meant it only as a little banter.

'Oh come now, I distinctly remember you saying that you loved my company so much that you more than happy to make such a promise.' I responded laughing.

'Don't recall saying that or feeling it for that matter, but as I was stone cold sober and you ... erm ... weren't, then who shall I believe?' She looked down at her daughter who was paying very close attention to what was going on. 'Whose memory shall I trust Sarah, mine or David's?'

Sarah looked at her mother, then me. By that time I was grinning inanely and tapping my chest whilst miming 'me'. The child giggled loudly and pointed at me.

Lyn put the back of her hand to her forehead and looked crestfallen. 'Betrayed by my own daughter.' She moaned causing even more giggles from said betrayer.

'So now that is sorted out, go get your coats on and let's go get that drink.' I demanded with a laugh.

'Now?' Asked a surprised Lyn. 'What about Sarah? I can't just leave her.'

Sarah was obviously paying more attention to me than her mother was. 'Mummy, he said coats, that means I can come too.'

Lyn turned sharply to look at me. 'Is that what you meant?' She asked with a little trepidation.

'Of course, I'm assuming you come as a package and that there's no one else.'

She looked at me, with a hint of anger. 'You don't think I would have been out last night if there'd been anyone else do you?'

Seeing that I'd been misinterpreted, I help my hands up in the air. 'Whoa there! I meant a brother or sister for Sarah.'

'Oh! Sorry, I thought... '

'No need for apologies, just go get your coats and let's go.'

Lyn looked shocked at that suggestion as she told me, 'I can't just go out like that, I have to get ready. It'll take at least half an hour just to put my war-paint on.'

I took a step towards her and took both of her hands in mine and deliberately looked her up and down. 'You don't need any make-up, you look gorgeous just as you are.'

'But what... '

'But nothing. I am very happy to see you and to be seen with you, just as you are. As for little Sarah here, well she could probably do with some heavy make-up.'

'I don't wear make-up yet, silly, ' she said seriously before giggling when she realised that I was teasing her.

'Of course not. You are too beautiful to spoil with that rubbish and so is your mother. Now take her inside and be out in no more than five minutes. Can you do that for me?' The little girl nodded and grinned as I told her to look after her mother.

I was loving the looks of bewilderment on Lyn's face as I took charge, especially the last one as Sarah took her mother's hand and led her into the house.

Two minutes later an older woman came out of the house grinning.

'Hello Lyn's mum.' I said making an educated guess.

'Betty!' She said her grin turning to laughter. 'I just had to see who had my daughter in the biggest flap I've ever seen. What have you done to her? Her garbled explanation isn't making sense.'

I quickly told Betty what I'd said and how we met.

'I thought you might be the young man from last night. She told me a bit about you but nothing to expect this. Tell me, are you always so impetuous?'

'Never!' I replied honestly, 'but once I'd taken that first step it just sort of snowballed. I kind of enjoyed keeping Lyn off-balance. To be truthful though, I think I was egged on by little Sarah too, not deliberately of course, but because I loved hearing her giggle at her mother's expense.'

'I can understand that, she does have an infectious giggle. So is this a date then?'

I stopped. I hadn't really thought about it. 'I suppose it must be, though not the normal.'

'You can say that again.' Laughed the older woman. 'You've really thrown her about her slap.'

'Slap?'

'Make-up. She doesn't know what to think.'

'Betty, I saw her last night dolled up and thought that she was pretty. Today, without all that rubbish on her face, I thought she was beautiful.'

'Oh! I don't know what to say.'

'Nothing to say.' I grinned, 'Five minutes are up, shall I go and get them or will you?'

The sound of little feet running up the path meant no answer was needed. I had no nieces, nor nephews for that matter, so I wasn't too familiar with kids but I held my arms out as I'd seen countless times in parks or in films. Sarah jumped into them and I lifted her up in the air.

I started to carry her towards my car when Lyn called. 'Mum's car.' She said pointing to a big, bright red Volvo Estate. Without waiting to take in my questioning look she added, 'Sarah's seat is already in the back.'

My ignorance shone through for a few moments whilst I tried to work out what she meant. Of course, I had seen child seats but they hadn't really registered with me. Lyn opened the rear door and pointed to where I was to place her daughter. Sarah, giggling as usual, showed me how to fasten her in.

Lyn got in and leaned over to unlock my side. 'Where to then, as this is your idea?'

'I thought "The Swan With Two Necks" as I'm sure that there's a kid's play area there.'

Lyn nodded her head. 'Good to see your thought that bit through.' She said smiling.

The next two and a half hours just flew by. I never realised that a mere seven year old, as I'd discovered Sarah was, had that amount of energy. I had hardly any time to talk to Lyn as Sarah was always pulling me this way or that to play a game or watch her on one of swings or slides they had spread about. Another thing about kids I discovered is how quickly they change from bubbly happy to grumpy miserable. Towards the end little Sarah tripped and fell, no worse than she'd done a dozen or so times before. This time the tears and grumpiness seemed far worse that I'd expected. Also, for the first time, she wouldn't let me cuddle her better but ran to Lyn, who'd been watching from our garden table. I joined them as Sarah snuggled up to her mother.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.