A Promise - Cover

A Promise

Copyright© 2010 by Telephoneman

Chapter 4

It was another week before anything of significance happened at work. First of all was the official news of the management changes. The following day I was summoned to see our new Managing Director. I had hoped to keep myself below her radar but once the call came, I was one hundred percent certain that my time with the company was at an end, after all I couldn't see Natasha calling me to say nothing had changed. In some respects I was happy about that. The last week of uncertainty hadn't been fun and if I was going then the odds were that my friends would be left alone.

I was a little surprised that when I was shown into what was now Natasha's office that only she was there. 'Great' I thought.

'Thank you for coming, ' she said politely, as if I had a choice.

'I've thoroughly read your report and actually agree with most of your conclusions.'

That was the first shock.

'But before we continue, I have one big question. Knowing how you feel about me why did you suggest me as M.D. and not one of the more senior men?' Natasha looked up at me and with a look I couldn't quite describe, added, 'even with the need for a buffer.'

I thought for a moment and decided that as I had nothing to lose, then the truth would be best. 'Simple, I thought, and still do, that you were the best for the role. You are, I believe, your father's sole heir and as you are already working here, that you have more than a passing interest in the company. I remember from school that although you have the personal charm of a viper, you always succeeded at whatever you did. Often that was at the expense of others. With that obvious exception, to me those are ideal traits for running a large business like this. Add the beautiful Petra to the mix and I thought it would be ideal. I will be honest though and say I didn't think it would happen quite so quickly.'

It was only when I'd finished that I realised that she hadn't interrupted once, not even on the viper comment.

'What about others, couldn't they do better?'

'Possibly, but I only know our senior managers by reputation, other than Stephen Kenny of course. I don't think any have your drive and know none have your ruthlessness.'

'Okay! Thank you ... I think! One last question on this. What about you? Thinking of me as you do, weren't you worried about your own position?'

'Not really. Your father asked me to think like a consultancy and my own position never entered the equation. Plus, I'm already on the bottom rung and I'm confident enough in my own abilities to believe that I'd have little difficulty transferring to another ladder. I only started worrying when you threatened Tamsin, but that was after I'd submitted the report.'

'If she's nothing to you as you say, then why the concern?'

'I didn't say that she means nothing to me, I said that she's not my girlfriend. She is the closest of many friends I have here and that friendship does mean something.' I nearly added that that was something she'd know nothing about, but decided to pass on the personal insults for the time being, especially as Natasha seemed to be conducting the meeting with nothing but professionalism.

'I apologise about that.' She said giving me my second big surprise.

'Now a moment ago, you mentioned "the beautiful Petra". Does that mean that you fancy my little cousin?'

'What is not to like about Miss English?' Roughly repeating what I'd said to Mr. Kopolova.

'Would you like me to fix you up with her? I could you know, she always does as I suggest.'

'I don't doubt that for one moment, but no thank you, Miss Kopolova.'

'I didn't think so, but I had to try.' She said with amusement. 'Now, down to the real reason that you are here. You and I understand one another. I like you about as much as you appear to like me, but after reading your report I have to admit to the same grudging respect you've shown me. So, in consultation with my father and, with my business head on, we have decided to offer you a new role.'

Shock number three.

'A new post of Special Projects Manager is to be set up and, assuming you agree, you will be it.'

'What does it entail?'

'We see it as having three goals. First: Identify, qualify and quantify improvements throughout the company, similar to what you have already done in your first report. Second: Oversee those improvements that are given the go-ahead. Finally to act as a sort of trouble shooter. Of course, manager isn't really an apt title as you will have no staff working for you directly.'

I paused to let this surprising data permeate my somewhat addled brain. 'The first, I follow although most of my company knowledge is IT based.'

'Yes we accept that and like you've already indicated that's where some of the best improvements are to be had. I think your second task will be to expand your initial report with costs, time scales, savings and the like.'

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.