A Promise - Cover

A Promise

Copyright© 2010 by Telephoneman

Chapter 2

A couple of days later I was summoned to see the company's owner. Mr. Kopolova's office was as vast as the one I shared with the entire IT department and naturally fitted out to a far higher standard. It was the first time I'd ever got close to this inner sanctum and was mightily impressed.

After waiting outside for the prescribed amount of time, I'd been ushered in to stand in front of a huge cherrywood desk waiting to be told what was wrong with the computer system there. I could think of no other reason why I was here. I was not in the slightest bit worried as I knew that I was far too low down the food chain to be summoned up here for disciplinary reasons.

'Mr. Powell, you are no doubt wondering why you are here, ' the company's owner said in his very deep voice when he finally looked up at me.

I hadn't really, because I assumed that it had to be computer related. The question itself as well as the use of my name seemed to indicate that that was not the case. I did begin to wonder, so responded, 'Yes sir!'

'It has come to my attention that you were involved in a little altercation with my daughter over the weekend.'

'No sir, ' I replied puzzled. 'I did see your daughter at a party over the weekend but no more than that.'

'Perhaps altercation is a little strong. I am informed that Natasha seemed rather upset, even angry with you.'

'Possibly.' I conceded.

'Would you like to explain?'

'No sir. It has no bearing on work and was a private matter.'

'Mr. Powell, I don't think you quite understand.' he said staring at me coldly. 'Everything about my daughter is my concern. Now tell me what happened.'

'I'm sorry sir but I can't do that. As you already seem to know about it, I assume that you already have witnesses, may I suggest that you ask them. I promised your daughter that I would not speak to anyone about what happened.'

'You seem to hold my daughter in high esteem if you are prepared to risk your position here for her. You may not realise it but she would happily toss you aside and not even look back. Whatever she promised you to maintain your silence is worthless, unless of course she's already paid out.'

I couldn't help but laugh and I saw that it threw him a bit, obviously not expecting such a reaction. 'I went to the same school as Natasha and know exactly what she's like. She did make a number of offers, all of which I turned down. My own promise was made to shut her up as much as anything else but it didn't help that much. I can only assume that she thought it as useless as you deem hers to be.'

'Yet you are still prepared to risk your job for her?'

'Not at all, Mr. Kopolova. I am however more than prepared to do so for my own integrity. I made a promise and intend to keep it whatever the outcome. I am sure that you already know, or have a good idea, what went on, but you will hear nothing about it from me. Plus, if you are prepared to dismiss me over this then I am better off moving elsewhere.'

'You are serious aren't you?' he asked incredulously.

'Yes sir!'

He had been leaning forward but now he sat back in his huge leather chair and said nothing for a good few minutes.

'You don't seem in the least bit intimidated by me and all this, do you?' He asked waving a hand around his office.

'No sir, ' I answered simply.

'Can I ask you why not? I find you intriguing.'

'Two reasons I suppose. First, you are just another man. A rich and powerful one no doubt, but still a man. As my mother would have said, you still have to sit on a toilet same as the rest of us. For your power to bother me, I would have to have something valuable that you could take away, which brings me onto my second point. I have total confidence in myself and my abilities. I know that I could get another job quite easily, maybe not around here if you were to wield that power a bit but I have no real ties, so I could move to wherever the work is.'

'You seem very cocky, almost arrogant Mr. Powell. I suppose you feel that you could run your department better than your manager too?'

'Not at all. Mr. Kenny is extremely competent and has a knowledge of the entire department whereas I am just extremely competent at the bit that I do. I'm confident, I leave arrogance to your daughter, she does it far better than I ever could.'

He laughed a little. 'It seems you do know my daughter as you say, but surely someone of your confidence must feel that they could improve things throughout the company.' Mr. Kopolova said somewhat facetiously.

'I do think I could help make improvements, but I'm sure there isn't a member of staff here that doesn't feel the same way. It doesn't mean that they would necessarily work. I think you need to be able to see the bigger picture before you can be sure of that.'

'That is very interesting for one so young and pretty accurate too. As one of Stephen's men, I assume that you work with computers, so how come you know this?'

By Stephen, I knew he meant Stephen Kenny, my department head. 'I did Business Studies at college and found it fascinating. I play around at home with economic models a lot too.'

'So you've given a lot of thought to this then?'

I nodded.

'About this company specifically?'

I nodded again.

'Put together a report then. Let's see if you are as good as you make out. Do it in your own time but consult with my secretary if you need any additional data. If it's of any use then I will pay you a consultancy fee. Fair?'

'More than fair sir.'

'A week long enough?'

'I'll make it long enough.'

'Now before you go another question. Knowing your opinion of my daughter and that she will someday take over here, why did you choose to work here?'

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.