A Critical Path - Cover

A Critical Path

Copyright© 2010 by Kaffir

Chapter 43

The two major port jobs were continuing. There was a still a year's work left on both of them but the two supermarkets were nearing completion and Nick was worried. Then out of the blue the rebuild of a school came up. Cliff had managed to win them the Sellafield maintenance contract. Helen needed something so she was given the school. Jerry was sitting on his hands. There were some minor things going on with the M6 bridges but none of these affected the resurfacing which was complete. Ian McGregor was confident that he would win the John Lennon maintenance contract. Dennis Arkwright was equally confident of winning the Manchester Ship Canal maintenance contract. The Liverpool part of the contract was sizeable and because of that Manchester was also in contention for the rest so that the contract was with one company. Head Office had stepped in to negotiate that.

Jerry was the problem. He would probably win the Port maintenance project but that would hardly keep him and his whole team busy. Nick was at his wit's end. He could hardly make him redundant in view of his service and loyalty and yet Norman would be on his back claiming rightly that Jerry and his team were a drain on resources.

"First in last out," thought Nick. "If anyone is to go it has to be Ian or Dennis and yet both of them have more than pulled their weight. So has Jerry for Heaven's sake."

Sally commiserated but had no suggestions. She felt deeply for Nick: his loyalty to his PMs and his need to keep making money. If only the Board had agreed to branch out into Europe there might have been a job for Jerry still based on Liverpool.

"Why don't you go it alone, my Nick?"

"No, Tiger, I have to abide by the Board's decisions."

"Load of old goats."

"But they are the Board."

Sally growled.

Then, out of the blue and a tragedy, a theatre burnt down. Fortunately it occurred at night and no one was injured. An enquiry established that it was an electrical fault and the insurance company did its best to shift the responsibility. The theatre management went to court and established that the insurance company was required to pay up immediately. It could take its arguments as to responsibility elsewhere subsequently. The theatre was up to date on all legal electrical requirements.

Nick leapt into action and they were in a competition of three. He put Jerry to work on it with the proviso that Helen was to advise him on the artistic side if the theatre gave him that licence. They won the contract and Nick was delighted that his faith and trust in Jerry had been rewarded.

Sally was relieved that Nick felt able to relax. She had conceived in that first week after they moved but had hesitated to tell Nick while he was so wound up.

He was thrilled but then asked her why she had not told him earlier. She told him the truth.

"Oh, Puss, I'm sorry. I've been a grump."

"No you haven't. You've been pre-occupied. It's just that, even though it would have cheered you up, you wouldn't have felt the full joy."

Nick looked down at her reading her eyes.

"You are very, very special," he whispered. "To bottle that sort of news up because I wouldn't get the full joy. Sally, my darling, thank you, my precious love."

He kissed her gently and then pulled her into his arms. "I love you," he whispered. "More than anything in the world I love you." He kissed the top of her head. "My little Puss! My precious! My ... my life."

Sally purred.

"I've got something else to tell you," she said. "Mum's found a man and I think they're pretty keen on each other."

"The one she introduced you to at Christmas?"

"Yes. He took her to a sheep fair and then she gave him supper and the supper has become a weekly fixture. He's taken her to the cinema two or three times and to a pub in Knaresborough."

"Sounds promising."

"She says he's very shy and looks embarrassed if she gives him a kiss on the cheek but he's come out of his shell with her and has talked about his wife. Her death clearly knocked the wind out of him."

"Is she keen on him?"

"I think so but she hasn't said so in as many words. From what she's said she wants him to make the first move."

Nick grinned. "Very right and proper."

"Pompous ass!"

Ellie was indeed becoming a bit frustrated. She liked Reg very much indeed and it was clear that he was taken with her. Why did he not do something about it? At last she decided to take the bull by the horns. The following Thursday she gave him supper on a tray and made him watch television. When they had finished she sat close to him on the sofa, much closer than she needed to. He did nothing but continued to watch the television. Ellie plucked up courage and put her hand on his knee. It was several minutes later that he covered it with his. Ellie gave an exaggerated sigh of contentment and laid her head against his shoulder. Reg never moved.

The film came to an end but Ellie did no remove her hand.

"Reg," she said gently. "I like you holding my hand."

"Aye," and then after a long pause. "Takes two."

"So?"

"I dunno, lass." There was another long pause and Ellie fought down the urge to speak.

"I'd like to get together with you, lass, but I just feel it would be unfaithful to Lucy."

"Why, Reg?"

"Because I gave her my heart and she still has it."

There was a long silence but neither hand moved.

"Reg? Do you think she would want you to be happy again?"

"I am happy."

"Like when she was alive?"

"Don't be daft, lass."

"Do you think she wants you to go on being a professional widower?"

His hand tightened on hers and she realised she had touched a nerve. She remained silent.

"No," he said finally, "but anyone else would be second best."

"Ouch!" thought Ellie but then, as she pondered what he had said, she realised that it was a natural feeling.

"Mm," was all she said albeit rather sadly.

She slid her hand away, stood up, rearranged the trays and took them out to the kitchen. Still glorying in the fact that she had one she put the plates and cutlery in the dishwasher. She then quietly tidied up everything else. She was so preoccupied that she did not hear Reg come into the kitchen and only noticed him standing close behind her as she turned from a cupboard.

He put his hands on her shoulders.

"You'd never want to be second best. Would you, lass?"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.