A Critical Path
Chapter 34

Copyright© 2010 by Kaffir

At the office life returned to its busy normal. Nick failed to find any potential major jobs. The two visitors he had had were merely bread and butter jobs. He was disappointed and discussed it with Norman.

"A lot of it's caused by the current economic climate. The public sector has no money to spend and the private sector is fussed about an increase in interest rates to counter inevitable inflation," said Norman. "Sorry to be so downbeat."

Nick smiled at him. "But honest and realistic," he said. "Your recommendation not to expand the plant fleet was prescient."

"Not entirely. It was a factor certainly but I reckon it was the right answer even if we were going to go on being busy."

"Yes so do I. I'm going to have to give this some thought. The last thing I want to do is to have to shrink again having just got the place back up to speed."

"Absolutely but we've got adequate work to keep us going for eighteen months, have we not?"

"Oh sure but I want to make certain we've always got stuff in the pipeline."

"Of course you do and rightly so."

"I think for starters that I'll ask the PMs to give it some thought and we'll have a brainstorming session next Monday at Managers'"

"Good idea."

Nick also mentioned his concerns to Sally. She looked thoughtful.

"If you can't keep a full order book and nor can the others the Board may start thinking about amalgamations."

"Hmm, you may be right and it could be the only way to go. I hope not. I think we all enjoy our virtual autonomy."

"I'm sure you do so we've got to make sure that if there are any amalgamations that we're an octopus."

Nick chuckled. "That's a very good way of describing it."

On the home front Ellie continued to improve steadily. Dr Surridge saw her the Tuesday before she was due to move and gave her the go-ahead. He promised to send a letter to his opposite number at Ripon within twenty-four hours and would include notes from her physiotherapist.

"We shall miss you, Miss MacIlroy," he said. "You've been a model patient. We've all admired your determination and courage. I hope you're very happy in your new home."

"Thank you, doctor," replied Ellie. "You've got a great team."

Sally started her driving lessons. She had a bit of trouble synchronising clutch and accelerator to start with and admitted that she found reversing unnatural. However she enjoyed learning to drive and got on well with her instructress. Nick offered to let her drive his car to and from work but she refused. Traffic was heavier at those times of day and she did not want to risk an accident however slight. Nick was secretly relieved.

Geraldine had pulled a coup. She had had Ellie's cottage rented in her name with permission to sub-let. She took it over the day before Ellie arrived. She and Nigel made the beds and started up the boiler again so that there would be hot water.

On Thursday evening Nick and Sally took Ellie to the supermarket for food and cleaning materials as they did not want to overtire her with two consecutive days of activity. That inevitably was a major operation even though Geraldine had promised to take Ellie into Ripon the following week. Nick and Sally refused to let Ellie pay for anything. Ellie protested but Sally was adamant.

"Not until you've started working again," she said.

"But I've got my savings."

"Later if you need to."

"But..."

"No, Mum! Hush up!"

So Ellie did. She was very, very grateful but was not going to let on. She did though allow herself to hug Sally and give her a kiss when they got home.

On the Friday evening they went to the pub for dinner. Ellie walked all the way there and all the way back without difficulty. That pleased her a lot. She would definitely not need to take the wheelchair with her to Yorkshire. The Royal could collect it when they came for her bed.

On Saturday morning they drove over to Ellie's cottage. The boot of the car was crammed with all they had bought on Thursday. They had to put their suitcases on the back seat beside her. Nick was saddened and appalled by her lack of clothes but also by her lack of personal possessions. Over the weeks that Ellie had been with them he had not seen a single photograph of her family or Sally. Knowing the love and closeness of his own family it made him feel that in addition to Sally's love for her mother he had to offer her his love as well. His parents were showing tremendous compassion but that was not love.

He was very impressed by Ellie's courage, resilience and sense of fun. He also sensed that she was capable of love despite bloody Gerry and an apparent lack of love from her parents. She doted on Sally and was inordinately proud of her. Well she might be! She had shown him friendship and possibly even affection. One did not make a rational decision on love. It was a realisation, possibly a reasoned realisation but a realisation for all that. He did like her. He was amused by her. She appeared to like him. She clearly loved Sally. Let it blossom.

Both Nigel and Geraldine were at the cottage when they arrived. Nigel refused point blank to help with any unloading of the car.

"No!" he said. "The first thing is for Ellie to take possession of her house and that does not involve cocking her leg on the door frame."

Ellie was momentarily nonplussed but only momentarily.

"I'm a bitch," she said, "so I don't cock my leg. I might do a puddle in the hall though."

Nigel laughing pulled her into his arms. "Welcome home, Ellie," he said softly. He let her go and she walked in through her front door.

Geraldine was waiting and curtseyed. "I hope you'll find everything to your satisfaction, ma'am."

Ellie paused but only momentarily. "Thank you, Mrs Braithwaite," she said airily. "I would like to relax in the withdrawing room for a short while and then meet the rest of the staff in half an hour."

That floored Geraldine but again only for a moment. She shrieked with laughter and then enveloped Ellie in a hug.

"Oh, Ellie," she managed at last. "You are Heaven."

Ellie smiled up at her. "I wouldn't bet on that but thanks, Geraldine."

"You heard what the lady said," Geraldine said to the others.

Nick and Sally followed the ladies into the sitting room. Nigel was clearly well prepared and followed them in moments later bearing a tray with five glasses of champagne. They each took one.

Nigel raised his glass. "To Ellie," he said, "and her future happiness in this house."

For almost the first time ever Ellie was at a loss for something to say. She looked down at the floor and bit her lip. Nick restrained Sally from moving to her.

Ellie looked up. "Sally love, I've always loved you and been proud of you. Now you've brought me your husband and his family. Sally..."

Sally took her hand. "They're all right, aren't they?"

Ellie nodded still unable to speak. She turned questioningly to Nick who took her in his arms and kissed her forehead.

"And we all think a lot of you, Ellie," he murmured. "You're a very special, brave lady and you gave us Sally."

Ellie looked up at him. "And you gave Sally a life," she stuttered. She buried her head in his chest.

Nick looked at Sally. She smiled and winked but the smile said everything.

"You need to drink some of your champagne before you spill it, Ellie," said Nick.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.