A Critical Path
Chapter 28

Copyright© 2010 by Kaffir

Nick took Sally into the hospital that afternoon. He saw her up to the ward and was gratified to see a policeman there. He settled down with the newspaper to wait. It was only for half an hour. A very depressed Sally emerged, silently took his hand and walked back to the car with him. She took his hand again as soon as they were in it. Nick waited.

"Poor Mum," she said softly at last. "I've never seen her this badly beaten up before. Well, you've seen her face but her whole body is bruised: her chest, her arms. I couldn't see her back but we know about that. But, Nick, he's also knocked all the stuffing out of her this time. She's trembly and tearful: something I've never seen before. She's small like me but in the past she's bounced back quickly but not this time. I'm worried that she may be suffering brain damage."

"No, Puss. I doubt it because it doesn't sound as though he hit her about the part of her head with the brain in it. I think that the violence of this attack has traumatised her. That's all and that she'll get over it. Don't worry. I'm quite sure that Dr Surridge did a brain scan as well and that the neurologists will have looked at it by now."

She looked at him gratefully.

"Did she tell you what started it all?"

Sally nodded. "He came home the night before pissed as a fart but she managed to get him to bed. She managed to get him on the move the next morning but he was badly hung over and in a foul mood. He said his breakfast was overcooked, swept it onto the floor and went for her. Nick, I don't know but I think he may have gone round the bend. I mean how could anyone sane treat someone else like that? He must be mad, mustn't he?"

"It does sound like it."

"Nick, darling, could we go straight home? Much as I love Megan I don't think I could take her love and concern right now."

"Yes, Puss."

He wanted to tell her how much he loved her and sympathised with her but knew that she was on a knife edge. It would be better to get her home than release her emotions in the hospital car park.

Once home he led her upstairs, helped her undress and into bed.

"Stay with me, Nick," she begged.

He shrugged off his clothes and slipped into bed with her holding her gently close. He thought that that might start her crying. It did not. She fell asleep almost immediately but it was a restless sleep and at one stage she pummelled his chest. Then at last her body relaxed and she slept deeply for a little over two hours.

The next day Nick delivered Sally to the ward but had hardly settled down to wait before Sally came back to him.

"She's much better," she said happily. "She's still black and blue but she's much more herself. She wants to meet you. Come on."

Nick was appalled at the sight that met his eyes. The bruises had spread and the whole of Sally's mother's face was discoloured and distorted. He saw where Sally had got her hair and eyes from though.

"Hello, Mrs Gardner," he said. "I wish we could have met under happier circumstances."

"Ellie MacIlroy," she said. I'm not Mrs Gardner anymore."

Nick took her hand and squeezed it gently. "I can understand that," he said softly.

"He's tall," she said to Sally.

"Yup," said Sally happily.

"So you plan to marry my Sally," she said to Nick.

"Yes, Miss MacIlroy."

There was a squeak from Sally.

Ellie took no notice. She looked piercingly at him. Nick knew the look from Sally and was not the least intimidated. Instead he smiled confidently at her.

Ellie's eyes softened. "You'll do," she said.

Nick bent and kissed her forehead. "Thank you," he said, "and I'll kiss your lips when they're better."

Ellie grinned as best she could at Sally. "Blarney too," she said.

Sally giggled almost shyly.

The following day they both went in together. They had agreed overnight that they needed to raise the issue of prosecuting Sally's father.

They were not allowed in initially. The policeman on the door explained that Ellie was making a statement to the police who had not been allowed in up to that point. They sat down and waited. Sally squeezed Nick's hand.

"We may not have to argue with her," she said.

"Mm, hope not."

She smiled at him. "And I hope you won't have to restrain me if there is an argument."

"No, Tiger. I very much doubt it."

"Thank you, my Nick, I doubt it too. You've done so much for me."

He freed his hand and put his arm round her shoulder. "You've saved me from myself, Puss."

Each knew what the other meant. Their eyes said it.

"I love you," they said simultaneously and then bumped noses gently.

Sally got the giggles which she was unable to contain and which became full blown laughter.

Nick looked at her questioningly. Sally recovered for a moment, snorted and then was off again.

"What's so funny?" asked Nick.

That set her off again. "You! Us!" More helpless laughter.

At length she regained some control. "Mr Prim and Proper. Mustn't show his feelings in public. Not the done thing at all." She mimicked a posh accent and then dissolved into laughter again.

Nick grinned.

"Flirty little girl. Quite happy to neck in public but daren't in case he pinches her bum."

That set her off again and he joined her which meant that they had to hug each other for mutual support. They separated, looked into each other's eyes.

"You watch your hands, Mr Braithwaite."

They were off again. They did not even notice the interviewing police leaving the ward.

A smiling nurse touched Sally on the shoulder. Sally sprang back from Nick as though she had been stung by a wasp.

"Your mother's free now, Miss Gardner."

Sally went pink with embarrassment. "Thank you," she managed to say.

Nick dug her in the ribs. "That'll teach you, you wanton little hussy."

"Ooh!" growled Sally.

"Tiger, Tiger, burning bright..."

"Ooh!" she exclaimed again in mock exasperation. "Why do I love you? You ... you," she could not think of a suitable epithet, "deserve a kiss."

She kissed him sweetly on the lips and led him to see her mother.

There was an improvement in Ellie's face but it was still very clear that she had been savaged. All the same her eyes were bright and welcoming. Sally and Nick kissed her and Sally sat beside her and took her hand. Nick sat on the foot of the bed.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.