A Critical Path - Cover

A Critical Path

Copyright© 2010 by Kaffir

Chapter 27

Nick apologetically cancelled his Friday night rehearsal. That he had bothered to do so was well received. Sally rang her mother to say that she would not be visiting. That was resignedly accepted.

Catriona and family arrived just after six. Having been cooped up in the car for two hours the children were bursting with energy and bedtime was delayed. Sally was enchanted with them and was thrilled when Nina brought her a picture book, climbed on her knee and demanded to be 'read' to.

Catriona unobtrusively observed Sally and quickly found herself agreeing with her mother. She had already been drawn by their telephone conversation. She was delighted when Sally volunteered to help put the children to bed. She was a little concerned though that nobody seemed to be doing anything about supper. She offered Sally that as an excuse to escape the children.

"No problem," said Sally cheerfully. "I've asked Nick to put the oven on at ten past seven. I'll pop the supper in at about half past. It's got mashed potato in top so we don't have to worry about spuds. The other veg'll only take quarter of an hour. We're laughing."

All went according to plan and they sat down to eat shortly after eight.

"Have you fixed a date yet?" asked Catriona.

"No," replied Sally. "We wanted to get your visits out of the way and check diaries with you all. The other thing is deciding how to get my mother to it without my father. As things stand I don't think that's going to happen."

Catriona, impressed by her candour, nodded. "Mum told me," she said quietly.

"It's going to be quite small too," went on Sally. "Registry office which will be family only and then a blessing at the church here. Drinks after that. There'll probably be some people from the office but that's all."

"What about your old boss at Bristol, Nick?"

"I'd love him to come but it's a hell of a way for a couple of hours' partying."

"I think you ought to give him the chance. You were great buddies and I think he'd be hurt if you didn't."

Nick nodded. He felt a bit guilty about Pete anyway. He had only rung him a couple of times in almost a year.

"What about the Kirkwoods?" Sally asked.

"Do you think they'd be interested, Puss?"

"Yes," she smiled back. "Part of my meteoric rise."

Nick chuckled. "Let's see what they think when they come up later this month."

Sally grinned at Catriona. "Looks like June," she said.

The shopping spree the next morning was a success. They found a wedding dress and suitable shoes to go with it. They also bought several skirts, half a dozen blouses and three jerseys. Catriona was all for buying some glamorous nightwear but Sally refused.

"What's the point?" she laughed. "It'd be off as soon as look at it."

Sally was horrified at how much they had spent but Catriona reassured her. "We're well under his limit," she said.

Sally stared at her. "Did you ask him?"

Catriona nodded. "He's not a big spender on himself and he hasn't had anyone else to spend it on for some time. He'll probably be disappointed you haven't spent more."

Sally bit her lip and Catriona smiled gently at her. "Don't feel guilty either way," she said softly. "He'll be tickled pink with what you have got and secretly pleased at your restraint. You mustn't show him the dress before the wedding though."

Sally nodded and then hugged her. "Thanks, Catriona. I'd have been hopeless on my own."

The rest of the weekend went happily. Jerry and his family left after a pub lunch. The children behaved immaculately and a number of the female guests came to talk to them and Catriona. There were fond farewells.

"Sunday afternoon cuddle?" asked Sally.

Nick did not even bother to answer. He swept her up and carried her upstairs. He did not pull her into his arms. Instead he stroked her cheek.

"You've made another friend, Puss."

She smiled. "Yes and a very special one too, I think."

"Very special. She's that to me and it was vitally important that you got on."

"Were you worried?"

"Not really."

"Did you worry about her and Veronica?"

"No. I was besotted and didn't give it a second thought."

"Oh, I see."

Nick pulled her head to him and kissed her gently. "Once bitten twice shy, my little one. Somehow this time I knew that all my family would love you. All the same, as far as Catriona was concerned, I wanted to see clear evidence of it. She can be quite secretive. No doubt though. You've passed her test."

"What test?"

"That you unreservedly loved me."

"Was there any doubt about that?"

"No. No doubt in my mind at all but after Veronica I think that Catriona doubted my judgement a bit."

"I don't doubt your judgement."

"Nor does she now and I love you, my Sally, whether you're a tiger or a puss."

"Show me, my Nick."

He did so to their entire satisfaction.

"I love you, my darling Nick."

"And I love you, my most precious one. So very, very much."

On Tuesday morning Sally's mobile rang.

"Sally," whispered her mother. "He beat the living daylights out of me at breakfast and then kicked me after that. I've had enough. I..."

"Give me twenty minutes, Mum. I'll be there. Can you stand?"

"No! He kicked me in the small of the back and it really hurts."

"OK! I'm going to call an ambulance too. See you soon."

She dialled 999 and asked for an ambulance and the police, gave the address and said she would be there with a key. She rushed into Nick.

"Dad's beaten the hell out of Mum," she said. "I've called an ambulance and the police but we've got to get down there so that I can let them in."

Nick leapt to his feet.

"Come on," he said. "Megan," he said as they went through her office. "You can get me on my mobile. Emergencies only!"

They were gone. Sally directed him. They got there as the police were about to force the door. Sally rushed in and found her mother lying on the kitchen floor surrounded by broken crockery and the remains of somebody's breakfast. She was unconscious. Both her eyes were black, her nose was out of shape, her cheeks were bruised and one of them was bleeding.

"She said he kicked her in the small of the back," said Sally.

The leading paramedic nodded. "What's her name?" he asked

"Ellie Gardner. She's my mum."

The team moved into action, did their business and within two minutes Sally's mother had gone.

"Royal!" said their leader as they disappeared.

Sally explained to the police what had happened.

The constable looked grim. "There's not a lot we can do until the hospital makes a report," he said, "because your information is second hand and wouldn't be accepted in court. If your mother is prepared to give evidence then we can do something about the bugger."

"She bloody well will this time," said Sally. "I'll make damned sure of it."

"I didn't hear you say that, Miss," he smiled.

Sally ducked her head and Nick marvelled at it. Six months ago she would have gone straight back in fighting.

"Do you think we ought to leave a note for him saying where she is?" he asked.

The policeman looked at him. "I wouldn't bother," he said. "The neighbours will tell him that she was taken away in an ambulance and he'll put two and two together and work out that she's been taken to the Royal."

Nick nodded. "We ought to follow her, oughtn't we?"

"Yes, Nick." She looked and felt drained.

Nothing was said on the way to the hospital. Both were unutterably shocked at the brutality of the attack. They found their way to A & E, said who they were and were asked to take a seat which is when Sally found her voice again.

"Bastard!" she hissed. "Vicious, cowardly bastard. Twice her bloody size and uses her like a bloody punch bag. Calls himself a man? What man could do that to a woman let alone his wife? He's an animal. He needs locking away for ever and I'm going to make sure they do. He's mad: viciously mad."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.