A Critical Path - Cover

A Critical Path

Copyright© 2010 by Kaffir

Chapter 25

Nick looked at their lunch in amazement. There was a ham and salad sandwich and a cheese and pickle sandwich each. There was also an apple each.

"This is a treat, Puss. When did you make these?"

"Very early this morning. I willed myself to leave you, went downstairs, threw this lot together and then crept back into bed so that I'd be there when you woke up and we could have a cuddle."

"You are a very sweet, loving and resourceful girl."

She grinned happily at him. "All of those but selfish too. I wanted to cuddle more than you."

"Care to bet?"

"No. We'd have to get an amourometer and I believe they're very, very expensive. It'd mean me taking money off you twice and I could never do that."

"What on earth is an amourometer?"

"A machine that measures love."

"Well, I'd be off the scale."

"Another good reason for not buying one. Very expensive in the first place and then we'd bust it the first time either of us used it. So no bets, my Nick. Nothing could measure our love."

Nick did not know whether to laugh or to kiss her. She saw it, smiled brilliantly and then mouthed a kiss at him.

"Don't kiss your with your mouth full, Nicholas," she said.

That made him choke and her peal with laughter.

When they had both recovered Nick squeezed her hand. "There's something I thought about this morning," he said, "announcing our engagement in the papers."

"What do we need to do that for?" she asked.

"To let all our friends and relations know without having to write to them all."

Sally looked at him steadily. "I haven't got any friends worth talking about that don't or won't know about it soon," she said, "and only one relation, my mum."

"Oh, Sally my love, I'm being thoughtless."

She smiled gently at him.

He smiled gratefully back. "Thank you, Puss. I do think I ought to meet your mum though."

She nodded enthusiastically. "It'll have to be so as my father doesn't know."

"Could she meet us for lunch?"

Sally shook her head. "Working. The best chance is a Friday evening when my father's boozing."

"At your house?"

"No. Just in case he came back early. It needs to be somewhere she can get to easily but where she's not known."

"Could she catch a bus in this direction and we meet her somewhere?"

"That's an idea. I'll mention it to her next time I see her."

"When'll that be?"

"Tomorrow. I'll go down there as normal at half past five. Will you wait for me if I come back here about half past six to seven?"

"Don't ask silly questions. Anyway I've got a rehearsal so come back to the LPO."

"Oh wow! I've got one this evening."

"I'll come and listen."

"Love you."

"Love you too. Lots and lots."

The visit to Browning's passed without incident. Grant Dixon clearly had things under control. The important thing was that Nick and Sally could spend two hours of the working day together even though not alone.

Nick was utterly fascinated by the rehearsal. In many ways it was like a choral rehearsal but different. What sounded perfect to him was not perfect to the director. A flute was fractionally late in on one section and was immediately ticked off.

"I'm glad I only sing," he said to Sally on the way home. "I can hide among the other basses."

"I can hide to an extent among the other violins too but when there are only one or two of you you only have to make the least mistake and it's noticed."

"I noticed," said Nick forcefully.

"Strive for perfection," said Sally unctuously.

"Don't I always?" replied Nick smugly.

"Of course, my clever man," came the admiring reply then spoilt by giggles.

"You're a very cheeky, young lady."

"Yes, sir, Mr Braithwaite, sir." Peals of happy laughter with which Nick joined.

Sally had never mentioned Nick to her mother so telling her of the engagement came as a complete surprise. She was clearly pleased for Sally but equally worried about her marrying above her station. She was aghast at how near Sally had come to losing her life when Sally told her the whole story. Nevertheless, it was clear that she was nervous about this rich man. Sally realised it without surprise.

"I don't know what your dad will say," her mother said.

"I'd rather you didn't tell him," replied Sally. "He'd be round to try and wheedle money out of Nick quick as a flash and then try to bully it out of him if that failed."

"I know you don't get on, love, but he does need to know when his daughter gets married."

"No, Mum! He doesn't. He doesn't give a tuppenny damn about me so don't even bother telling him. Has he asked about me once since I left home?"

"No, love."

"Well then, don't say anything now. He'll only cause trouble. If you have to tell anyone tell Nell but swear her to secrecy because if that bugger gets to hear of it he'll just cause trouble. Please, Mum?"

"'Kay!"

"He wants to meet you though, Mum."

"I don't believe it. He wouldn't be interested in me."

"He is, Mum. He asked me to fix something so that he could meet you. Would you catch a bus into town next Friday and we'll meet you?"

"I'm not sure I could do that. I've got to have supper ready for your dad when he comes in."

"He doesn't come home till after nine."

"Sometimes he comes home early."

"How often?"

"Not very."

"Well then."

"If he does and I'm not here he'll smack me around."

"Mum, we'll come here if you'd rather but someone's bound to see us and gossip then he'll smack you around again."

Her mother nodded. "I think, love," she said reluctantly, "we'd better give it a miss for the time being."

"Mu-um!"

"I daren't, love, even though I'd really like to meet him. I really would."

Sally was deeply disappointed but she could see that arguing was pointless. Smacking her mother around was a euphemism. Her father would beat her insensible and she would lose money if not her job.

"Okay, Mum. I must go. I love you and we'll think of something."

She got back before Nick's rehearsal was over and found some relief in the music but Nick sensed immediately that she was far from herself. They walked back to the car afterwards hand in hand but silent. Nick started for home. He waited until they were out of the heavy traffic before reaching over and putting his hand on her knee.

"Tell me, Puss," he said softly.

Haltingly she recounted her conversation with her mother. "I told her we'd think of something," she finished, "but, at the moment, my mind's a complete blank."

"So's mine, my love. Let's sleep on it. In the meanwhile we've got two days of my parents. I'm sorry, my little one, it may be an unfair burden now."

Her hand found the back of his neck which she stroked softly. "No, my Nick, because you'll be with me. Oh Lord! What are we going to give them to eat?"

"Relax, Tiger. Before rehearsals I did a bit of shopping. We've got cold ham, cold chicken, salad, new potatoes, baguettes we can warm up, bacon, cheese so we're laughing for two lunches and I'll book us into the pub for supper tomorrow night."

She squeezed his thigh. "At least one of us is still thinking," she said. "Can we have a long cuddle tomorrow morning?"

"I was planning on it and again on Sunday afternoon when they've gone."

"Clever man!"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.