A Critical Path
Chapter 24

Copyright© 2010 by Kaffir

The next morning they walked into Megan's office together. Nick wished her good morning and went to his own office as usual, closed the door behind him and waited with an expectant smile. He did not have to wait long. There was a shriek from next door. He left them to it.

"Oh, Sally my little love," cried Megan enveloping her in a hug. "I'm so happy for you both, particularly you. Oh how wonderful! David will be thrilled too. Let me look at it properly. Oh gosh! It's beautiful, Sally bach." She hugged her again. "Oops! I'd better give your man his coffee or I'll be out on my ear. I'll come and join you in a minute. Oh, Sally, you clever girl!"

She bustled round and took Nick his coffee beaming from ear to ear.

"Congratulations, boss. I overstepped the mark yesterday and I'm going to do it again today." She bent over and kissed him. "There! Special man: special occasion!"

"Thanks, Megan love. Lucky man, I'd have said."

"Very but you're special too and one young lady clearly thinks you're very special."

"So's she."

"She is, boss. She certainly is." She smiled mischievously. "I don't know what took you so long to realise it." She giggled. "Silly, special, lucky man."

Nick laughed. "Go on, Megan. Go and dredge the details from her."

Megan laughed delightedly and almost skipped from the room. Nick turned to his in tray when a thought struck him. He picked up the telephone and rang David.

"David, I'm back."

"Thank goodness that you're both in one piece."

"Thanks. What's the news on the cruise liner tender?"

"The announcement's due tomorrow."

"Tell me, David."

"Blast you, boss. I wanted it to be a surprise. We've got it."

"Wonderful! Well done, David, and your team. That is tremendous news. Very well done indeed! Now, I must find out whether Harry is keeping things from me. Congratulations, David!"

He rang Harry. "Are you hiding things from me, Harry?" he asked.

"Such as?" asked Harry and Nick could picture the wide innocent eyes behind the glasses.

"A certain tender."

"They're due to announce the winner tomorrow."

"And?"

"We've got it, Nick. We've got it." He was unable to hide his elation.

"Brilliant! That's great news. You and your team must be very proud. Well done!"

"We are, Nick, and really chuffed as well."

"Well you might be. I'll be round later on."

Nick was beside himself. It was working, really working. He ran to tell Sally.

He burst into her office. "We've got them," he cried excitedly.

"What?" asked Sally and Megan together.

"The two port jobs."

"Whee!" cried Sally and ran round her desk to hug him. "Well done, my love."

"Not me, Puss, David and Harry and their teams."

"But you found them, Nick, and set the ball rolling."

"And those two ran with them and you checked all their designs and the tender documents so well done you too."

"All in a day's work."

Nick laughed and kissed the tip of her nose. Megan looked on delightedly.

"I must ring Trevor Kirkwood," said Nick.

"I'll put you through," said Megan rising.

"Come on," said Nick grabbing Sally's hand. As soon as they were back in his office he pulled her into his arms and kissed her. "I had to find some excuse to do that," he said.

"I'm glad you did. I was beginning to feel starved of love."

The telephone rang and Nick picked it up turning on the speaker.

"Good morning, Nick. What can I do for you?"

"Good morning, sir. It's not official until tomorrow but we've got the two port jobs."

"Well done, Nick. That's very, very good news. Please pass on my thanks and congratulations to your PMs and their teams. I shall look forward to seeing them all and saying so in person next month."

"Thank you, sir. There's something else you might like to know. Your favourite technical assistant has graciously consented to marry me."

There was a short silence. "Now that really is even better news. Congratulations, Nick! I'm absolutely delighted. She's a very special girl. I'm sure you'll both be very happy."

"We already are," said Sally loudly.

"Aha! Cohabiting already are you?" He roared with laughter. "Don't forget, Sally my dear, that we still expect some work out of you both. Look after him, Sally. He's a good'un."

"I will. I promise."

"I'm sure you will. Well, Nick, you and then both of you have made my day. I really look forward to seeing you both again."

After a quick hug Nick went off visiting. He went to see David and his team first. They were all bubbling and clearly delighted that Nick had come to see them and thank them. He passed on Trevor Kirkwood's message and there was applause.

Next he went to Harry. He had never seen him so cheerful.

"Now we can really get our teeth into something big," said Harry.

Morale in Harry's team was as high as David's and it was clear that they too appreciated Nick's visit and the CEO's words.

He popped his head round Norman's door. "I'm back," he said. "Clearly nothing untoward happened or you'd have been round to see me by now."

"Come in, Nick. It's good to see you back unscathed; Sally too. It sounds as though it was a close run thing."

Nick nodded. "A bit too close for comfort," he replied. "I was spitting dust for the rest of the day."

Norman chuckled. "That'll teach you. I trust the young lady is suitably grateful."

"Yup. So much so that she's going to marry me."

Norman's eyes widened and then he smiled with genuine pleasure. "Congratulations, Nick! I'm delighted. Under your tutelage she has become an extremely nice girl. Well done!"

"Thanks, Norman. I've no doubt that like Harry and David you're sitting on the other bit of good news too."

"Guilty, me lud."

"I wormed it out of David and then challenged Harry. Why were you all saving it up for tomorrow?"

"Not sure you'd be able to cope with the excitement in your frail state."

Nick snorted derisively but did not pursue it.

"I haven't told you," he said "but I've got another half dozen possibles up my sleeve. I've asked Melanie to find a couple more PMs."

"That's splendid news. Are you going to offer one to Sally?"

"Yes but I reckon I shall have to find a replacement for her with five jobs on the go and four proper ones developing. The other two are maintenance again."

"Not very exciting, I agree, but bread and butter all the same."

"I must go and see Cliff and find out how Browning's is going. Thanks for taking the helm, Norman."

"Not at all. As I say, it's good to have you back."

Cliff was in good heart and full of confidence. "There's still a bit of ground clearance and levelling to be done but the piles for the main building are going in and the foundations are being dug. We should be able to free up the earthmoving plant except a couple of graders and one layer and spreader in plenty of time to get it all serviced before it has to get to work on David's road."

"Good news. I might take a trip out there this afternoon."

"Do. Grant Dixon's the site manager."

"Fine. It certainly sounds as though things are going well."

He went back to David.

"David, I've been talking to Cliff. He's happy with the way things are going at Browning's but said he'd be holding back a couple of graders and a layer and spreader. Is that going to affect you?"

"No, Nick. Thanks for your concern. Rob Edwards has hired four more graders complete with operators and has earmarked a couple of layers and spreaders with crews. He's only paid a small deposit on that which we can stand."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.