A Critical Path
Chapter 21

Copyright© 2010 by Kaffir

Both Sally and Nick were frustrated at being separated. Neither could understand the inflexibility of the catering system. Nick would happily have taken his breakfast back to Sally if necessary. Doctors' rounds. They were both in for the same reason. Surely they could be seen together and hear what was suggested for both of them? Nevertheless, they realised that the rules had been bent for them so they accepted what they had been told.

Neither had realised just how hungry each was and both wolfed their breakfasts. Sally was seen first and given permission to go home provided she took it easy for forty-eight hours. If she developed a cough or chest pains she was to see her doctor immediately. Nick was told much the same except that he was told to take it easy for only twenty-four hours.

"What about our clothes?" he asked the nurse when the doctor had gone.

She giggled. "You can't put those dusty things on again," she said. "We've packed them up in a plastic bag for each of you so you'll just have to go home in the nude."

Nick laughed. Come on," he said. "Now tell me the truth."

"It is the truth but we'll let you keep your hospital gowns. Can't someone bring some clothes in for you?"

Nick shook his head. "We're both single and no one has a key to our houses."

"Ouch! Can someone come and collect you? We can smuggle you out of here in your hospital gowns and then they can get into your houses and bring you out dressing gowns."

"Oh, come on," said Nick. "We can't go about the place with bare bums."

The nurse giggled. "I was only pulling your leg. We'll lend you dressing gowns."

"Thanks," smiled Nick. "We can hardly use public transport so I'll do as you suggest and get someone to collect us. Am I allowed to use my mobile?"

"Not in here but I'll show you where you can but let's find a dressing gown for you first."

She led him to part of the hospital away from prying ears and sensitive equipment.

"Do you think you can find your own way back?" she asked.

Nick assured that he could and rang Megan.

"Nick!" she cried totally forgetting protocol. "Are you all right? How's my Sally?"

"We're both fine, thanks Megan."

"Oh thank God! I was so worried about you both even though my David said you'd probably both survive."

"No, we were both unscathed but full of dust and poor Sally was in a state of shock but we've both had a good night's sleep and are feeling fine."

"Oh that's good. When are you coming home?"

"Today but..."

"Great! I'll send Charlie for you. You're at the hospital in Bangor, aren't you?"

"Thanks, Megan. Yes we are but there's one slight problem. They won't let us put our clothes back on because of the dust so we're going to have to come home in dressing gowns. Can you get Charlie to come to the ambulance entrance?"

Megan chuckled. "Yes of course. I'm afraid we haven't got a car with blacked out windows."

"Oh, shut up, Megan," laughed Nick. "We'll still be decent."

"So I should hope!" Megan pealed with laughter and then sobered up. "Two hours' time?"

"Fine, Megan. Thanks. Can you give me the CEO's number? I haven't got it on my mobile."

She gave it to him and he went back to Sally.

"Fixed," he said. "Charlie'll pick us up from A & E at twelve. By the way, where's your handbag?"

"I think I left it in the car. Why?"

"Front door key."

"Oh!" A slow smile spread over her face. "If it isn't I'll have to come home with you."

He smiled back. "I was going to suggest that in your weakened state you should do that anyway so that I can look after you."

Her face lit up. "Now I can see why you've got where you have, Mr Braithwaite. Full of initiative and very persuasive. But I'm not sure it's a very good idea. What will people say?" she teased.

"Stuff 'em," said Nick totally seriously.

Sally sobered up immediately. She searched his eyes and then launched herself at him. She buried her face in his chest and clung to him. He stroked her hair until she released him and looked up.

"Kiss, please."

Nick did so. It was a very gentle kiss but it was also very loving.

"I must go and ring Trevor Kirkwood."

"Can I come with you?"

Nick took her hand with a smile. She squeezed it happily.

"If you borrow a dressing gown."

She did and they found their way back to where Nick had rung Megan.

"Thank you for ringing, Nick," said Trevor when he was put through. "How are you both?"

"Fine thanks. We're both being let out today with instructions for me to take it easy for twenty-four hours and Sally for forty-eight."

"Good. Don't feel that you have to rush back to work. They'll survive a few days without you. Now, tell me everything from beginning to end."

Nick did so and Trevor listened without interruption. Sally also listened raptly as everything from the first bang to waking up this morning was still a blank.

"Golly," said Trevor. "That's quite a story. What a tragedy that that painting's gone and Sally's mobile. I think that we can leave Gareth to handle the rock fall. If someone starts talking about the painting and the media gets hold of it then we'll react. As for you, Nick, you're a very brave if foolhardy man." Sally squeezed his arm. "I'll bet there's one young lady thinks the same too."

"She's right here beside me," said Nick smiling.

"And that's where she's going to stay," said Sally loudly.

Trevor heard her and laughed. "Can I have a word with her?" he asked.

Nick smilingly handed her the phone.

"Good morning, Mr Kirkwood."

"It is indeed, my dear, now that I know you're safe and well. You stick close to him. He's a pretty special guy, I reckon."

"So do I," she said gazing up at Nick.

"I shall look forward even more to seeing you both again next month."

"Thank you, Mr Kirkwood. I'm looking forward to meeting your wife. Do you want to talk to Nick again?"

"No thank you, my dear. You two go back to taking it easy. 'Bye."

The phone went dead. "He's a nice man," she said as she handed Nick back his phone.

"I think so too but I wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of him. We've got half an hour to kill. What would you like to do?"

"Find a decent cup of coffee. That stuff we had for breakfast was yuck."

He took her hand and they went to tell their nurses where they were going. Both were happy and said their clothes would be waiting for them when they got back.

They sat across the corner of a table to drink their coffee and Sally got the giggles.

"I'm going to have to become left-handed so that I can hold yours while I drink."

"And only eat soft foods so that you don't have to use a knife."

Both wanted to talk seriously and intimately but this was not the place.

"I can't wait to be alone with you, Sally love," Nick said softly.

"Ooh!" she smiled coquettishly.

"Not that," he growled.

"O-o-ow," she whined.

He chuckled and could not resist kissing the tip of her nose.

"I can see I'm going to have trouble with you."

She nodded happily. "Yup!"

"Love you."

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.