A Critical Path - Cover

A Critical Path

Copyright© 2010 by Kaffir

Chapter 4

Nick found Jerry's office without trouble. Jerry welcomed him politely but without a smile. It was Nick who had to open the conversation.

"I could have called for your personal file but didn't so tell me about yourself. What are your qualifications and how long have you been in this job?"

"BSc Hons. Three years."

"Which university?"

"Liverpool."

"So you're a native."

There was a hint of a smile. "No, I come from Manchester."

"That was brave. Why did you choose Liverpool?"

"Our careers master at school said Liverpool was better."

"So did you come straight into Marshall?"

"Yes. Buildings as a designer and site assistant."

"So you were promoted internally."

"Yes."

"Were you branch head for Northcliffe?"

"No. I was site manager though. I know what you're going to say and I agree. It was a horror."

"Why?"

"No central direction. The housing was the main part of the project. The roads and electrics were subsidiary. I should have been managing the whole bloody project. Instead we spent almost the entire time arguing and not getting things done. This was reflected in the workforce and the standards fell away. I told my predecessor that he should assume control of the project and delegate the project management to me. He agreed but Merv the Swerve wouldn't agree."

Nick had to hide a smile at what was clearly a very apt nickname. "So everything just muddled on?"

"Yes. In the end, when we were overspent and late the blame was put on my boss. He resigned and I was offered his place. I took it."

"What did you do about project management?"

"Bartered with the other branch heads."

"Was that a success?"

"Partial. George always claims leadership because he's the senior."

"On what grounds does he consider himself the senior?"

"Been here the longest."

"Rubbish. The branch head with the major input to the project should lead it and from now on will do. I notice the same old thing is happening with your current housing project. With immediate effect you are in charge of it and your man on site is the project manager."

Jerry's face lit up. "Thank you," he said. "That'll be a tonic."

Nick smiled. "One satisfied customer! Now, tell me about your branch."

"Thirty-one strong with five planners-cum-designers who then become the project managers of their designs, two architects, five building foremen, five plumbing and gas fitting foremen, two quantity surveyors, six draughtsmen, four clerks two of whom are typists, my secretary and me."

"Are they all fully employed?"

"No. They were when I first started but following the Northcliffe disaster we haven't been top of the pops and haven't got enough work for them all. I could lose two each of the three fives and one of the architects as things stand."

"So why haven't you made any of them redundant?"

"Mervyn wouldn't hear of it."

"Why not?"

"He realised quite rightly that it would reflect on him."

"Hmm, despite increasing his losses."

Jerry nodded.

"Right! Get your head together with Melanie. I suspect there is overstaffing in every branch and we're going to have to grasp the nettle. Keep it between you and Melanie for the moment until I personally make it public."

"OK, Nick. I hope there won't be a rush. There are some pretty able people who are bored stiff but are frightened of losing their income. They will be keen to look elsewhere if they have the cushion of a redundancy payment."

"We may have to offer inducements to keep the best but that would be a lot cheaper than retaining everyone. Let's move on. You've only got one project on at the moment..."

"Heatherbrow."

"Heatherbrow. What else are you working on?"

"We're preparing a tender for a new office block in the port. That's got to be ready in six weeks. There's another for an extension to and the modernisation of one of the council offices. That's due in three weeks."

"Tell me more about that. I'm meeting the council chief executive this afternoon."

"I suggest we leave that until we tour the branch and then you can talk directly to the designer. I am happy with what he is proposing. The trouble is that after Northcliffe we're starting with one hand tied behind our backs."

"Is Heatherbrow for the council?"

"No. Cartwright's."

"But it's up to time and to cost as things stand."

"Yes."

"OK, I'll tell them and invite their housing chap to visit it with you."

"Great."

"One final thing before we go walkabout. Melanie tells me you've got a very bright girl on your design team but that you strike sparks off each other. Tell me about her."

Jerry smiled ruefully.

"Sally Gardner. Twenty-seven. Honours degree. Hard working and comes up with the goods. Now, I'm the first to admit that I'm inclined to be impatient and a bit quick tempered but at least I get on reasonably well with all my staff except her. She wants to argue everything. I'll do that up to a point but she doesn't like me to disagree with her arguments which in my experience are not necessarily always right. She then loses her rag and so do I. I don't know what it is, Nick, but she's got a chip about something and hates to be told she's wrong or to do something with which she doesn't agree."

"Would you like to see her made redundant?"

"Funnily enough no. She's damned good. There's no denying it and it would be a loss to Marshall if she did go. On the other hand, I am getting a bit fed up with trying to tame this particular shrew."

"OK, Jerry. I hear what you say. How do you think she'd do if I moved her to Bridging or E & M?"

"She'd drive Harry round the bend and George to drink."

Nick chuckled. "I'll give it some thought." He paused. "Who's your project manager for Heatherbrow?"

Jerry grinned. "Sally."

Nick struggled to keep a straight face. "I wondered," he said. "I might drop in on her after I've been to the council. Do you want to meet me there?"

Jerry thought for a moment. "No," he said. "I think if both of us went she'd go straight into prickly mode."

"Fine."

They went on walkabout. There were all ages and seven or eight women. There was clearly no racial discrimination either. Everyone was polite and friendly. They were all keen but Nick sensed that they were chafing at the bit too. He thanked Jerry and went back to his office asking Megan to come in as he passed through her office. She followed him with a notepad.

"Megan, I want an instruction to go out this afternoon. Can you have it ready for my signature by the time I get back from the council?"

"Yes, boss, unless it's ten pages long."

"Ten sentences. Ready?"

She sat down and nodded.

"Heading: Project Management. With immediate effect every project is to have a lead branch and the project manager will be found from that branch. Buildings Branch is to lead on Heatherbrow. The M 56 Bridge is to be led by Bridging Branch. The council offices and the port office block are to be led by Buildings Branch. The leadership of all future projects where more than one branch is involved will be decided personally by me. Short enough?"

"It'll be ready before you go out."

"Thanks, Megan."

It was ready in less than five minutes and Megan walked two copies to each Head of Branch. Nick kept one which he tucked in his inside pocket.

Nick was impressed straight away by Charles Murdoch. His handshake was firm and he looked him straight in the eye. There was nothing unwelcoming in his look but equally there was no positive welcome.

"You're new to the area, I take it, Mr Braithwaite although your name comes from the north."

"I am indeed, Mr Murdoch, and, even worse, I'm a Yorkshireman by birth."

"Oh dear!" He smiled. "Anyway, what can I do for you?"

"Well, as you will know I've just taken over Marshall of Liverpool."

"I've never heard it called that before, just Marshall's Liverpool Area Office."

"I aim to make it synonymous with Liverpool and a business that Liverpool can be proud of."

"Go on."

"In the next ten days I plan to call on all the movers and shakers in and around the city to introduce myself and to make sure that they are aware that Marshall is going to regain its good name and improve on it. I'm only too aware of your opinion of us after the Northcliffe disaster. I know what went wrong there and have already taken steps to ensure it never happens again. From now on all our projects will be properly managed."

"I'm glad to hear it and wish you every success."

"Thank you. You will be aware that we shall be tendering for your office block expansion and modernisation."

"Yes."

"At the moment, I suspect the cards are stacked against us even if we were to come in with the best offer on price and time."

Mr Murdoch said nothing but did not contradict him.

"We're in the middle of a housing project: Heatherbrow."

Mr Murdoch nodded.

"Currently that project is to time and cost because there is a single, strong project manager."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.