Life Is Not Fair
Chapter 1: Beginnings

Copyright© 2010 by brightstar

"What are you going to get for me, dad?" I asked my father. It was a long standing tradition that whenever dad traveled out of town, he always got me something, like a souvenir. I had already gotten quite a number of toys from this tradition.

"I remember you were saying something about a guitar, right?" Dad had an unconventional way of answering my questions; our way of doing things.

"And you've always said that one of these days you are going to make a guitar player of me. Guess 'one of these days' hasn't come." I was batting my eyes like a gleeful girl; it always set dad off, laughing hardest each time I did it, which wasn't always. It didn't fail this time around.

"You are becoming a lot like your old man". I hated that reference as well as I loved it. The twinkle in my eye was impossible to miss.

"And you are becoming a lot like your young son. I wonder who the father and son are these days." It was a quick retort, but it was also true. Lately, the roles have been reversed a little in our lives. I guess dad has been coaching me well.

"Honey..." Mom cut dad off from making any comeback (thank you mom!). " ... at this rate that you two are going, I will not be surprised if you are late for your flight." Mom has always been a voice of reason in our family, the peacemaker. Whatever would I have done without her!

Dad looked at mom, then at the clock, back at mom, then at me. "Don't ever think that I will be letting you off easy this time around, young man." He crouched down and hugged my frail figure. I was a frail-looking thing at that time. "You are the man of the house now..." His voice changed, taking a completely serious tone. " ... take care of your mother, until I get back, will you?"

"I don't need someone taking care of me Robert, especially not my eight year old son" Mom spat out, almost cutting dad of. In all the years I lived with my parents, mom never used dad's real name except when she was upset. I learnt that early in life.

Dad looked at her for a while; "You'll need him, Elizabeth." Dad never called mom's real name except when he was serious. I also learnt that one. If only I knew how true those words will be.

Dad left for his flight. Mom didn't take him to the airport because dad would be leaving his car at the airport's car park. Mom went about doing whatever it was that moms do on a clear, beautiful summer day, especially in August. It is always a marvel to me how moms keep things organized. I guess it's part of what makes them special.

As for me, I went about puttering around for some minutes before I was able to settle down and watch 'Dexter's Lab' on Cartoon Network. My all time favorite cartoon is Scooby Doo. It's hilarious, fun, adventurous, thrilling, relaxing, and educating and everything you could ever want in a cartoon. I am a cartoon freak. Go figure!

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.