Ants at BEES - Cover

Ants at BEES

Copyright© 2010 by Peter H. Salus

Chapter 2

I spent the night at the Comfort Inn just south of Toowoombra and drove to Armidale on Saturday, spending the night in a motor hotel just off the New England Highway. Sunday, I drove to Newcastle, found a place near the beach and went swimming in the afternoon. There were lots of women in bikinis, but I managed to resist temptation and spoke to no one. I did read a bit of local history, learning that Newcastle had been a penal colony till 1823 and that it had been shelled by a Japanese submarine in 1942. I could remember the 1989 earthquake myself, but it was striking that over two years later some destruction was still visible.

Sunday I left Newcastle late in the morning and arrived in Sydney before 1300 on Monday, 18 January 1993; the beginning of my new life.

I located my "hotel" and registered. Then I went for a walk to familiarize myself with the area around UNSW. I realized just how large Sydney was and decided to take a tour bus to get a survey of a sort. There appeared to be a number of restaurants along Anzac Parade as I walked south. I stopped in an Italian place and had a pleasant meal, then walked back. I was coming to grips with the fact that I would be here for the next three or four years. I went to sleep thinking about locating BEES [(School of) Biological, Earth and Environmental Sciences].

Tuesday morning I walked west on Barker Street, crossed Botany Street and located the south wing of the Rupert Myers Building. I walked into a door marked "Research Administration" and was told I should have gone to "Scholarships." There I was re-directed to "Post-Graduate Liaison," where I spent time filling out forms. I then learned that I couldn't complete my registration in BEES before attending the Postgraduate Research Student Induction – at which time I'd be given an "Essentials for Postgraduate Research Students" booklet – and that as a Ph.D. Candidate I couldn't enrol via the new online system.

I decided that having wasted the morning, I'd go for lunch prior to wasting the afternoon. I asked the woman where I could obtain housing information and where the entomologists were. She marked both on a campus map and I thanked her. I had a ghastly "quiklunch" across the street – overpriced to take advantage of students. But it gave me a place to scan my Manual for Postgraduates, where I learned that I could go by the Dean's office. I decided to do so – what did I risk? – as soon as I had been to the student housing blokes.

(Four years in Brisbane had rewarded me with an honours diploma and the knowledge that getting things done at a university meant inordinate trekking about and time-wasting, while requiring patience and persistance.)

The people in the housing office were quite nice – largely, I suspected, because I was their only "customer." They showed me a number of listing and located them for me on a map. The range was enormous, but I was going to try for under $1000 per month. It turned out that there were both furnished and unfurnished places in Kensington and Kingsford. The cheapest had no parking spaces. I decided that I'd weed the offerings without parking and keep those with a separate bedroom. I still had half a dozen within an easy walk of the campus. I made a list, thanked both ladies, and went to see what was going on at the Dean's office.

There I was made welcome and offered a cup of coffee. Again, most likely because I was the only post-graduate student around. I delivered myself of my five minute presentation on my interest in entomology and, specifically, myrmicology. I was asked whether I was aware of the collections at the Australian Museum. I said that I knew of them, but that I'd never been there. I was told that a good deal of top-drawer research came from the Museum and that I might be able to do some work there. I was assured of my welcome in the event I had any problems, got my hand shaken, and I was done. The information about the Museum was valuable, though.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.