River Rat - Cover

River Rat

Copyright© 2010 by Wes Boyd

Chapter 51

April 27, 2001

The Wedding Trip - 1

Once everyone had a chance at the lunch line and were standing around working on sandwiches and pop, Scooter got up on the drybox of her raft. "OK, folks," she called out. "I'm Scooter Whitsell. Scooter isn't my real name and some of you know what it is, but I'm trying to forget it so I usually don't answer to it. I'll be your trip leader the first half of the trip, since Crystal knows a lot of people here, and it'll give her a little more chance to be friendly. She'll be leading the second half of the trip, after I climb out the Bass Trail to start all over again in about ten days. Now, I know a lot of people here know each other, but maybe not everybody knows everybody. But, since Crystal does, I'm going to let her do the introductions. Crystal?"

As Crystal ran through the introductions, Scooter threw together a sandwich and gobbled it; as soon as Crystal finished, she got back up on the drybox and started in on the orientations. This was going to be a little goofy, too; usually they did it on the sand bar at Cathedral Wash, once people had just a little while to get used to the river and would have a little more understanding. Now, she'd have to do part of that lecture now, and the rest down river when they made a rest stop, even more at the first camp. "OK," she finally wound up. "There'll be some more orientation downstream. We'll leave the lunch tables up for another few minutes, so anyone who wants seconds should get them. While we're waiting, if anyone wants to visit the johns, this is your last chance for a flush toilet. If you haven't got river clothes on, now is the time;, the johns might be the place. In about ten minutes, we'll pack drybags, fit life jackets, and get on the river."

People headed for the lunch table, while Scooter thought about what came next. She glanced over where the motor rigs were waiting for their customer bus, not doing much of anything. This might be her last chance to talk to Jim she thought and started to head that way when Crystal caught up with her. "Scoot, we have to talk," Crystal said. "We've got a problem."

"Nanci?" she said.

"Well, that too," Crystal shook her head. "Randy got me off to the side and told me that Nicole is absolutely scared shitless."

"Nicole?" She couldn't believe it. She knew Nicole was an OLTA grad, an AT thru-hiker, a good sea kayaker, a committed outdoorswoman. It was hard to believe her lacking for courage. "I don't believe it!"

"Randy's not too sure why, but thinks it may have had something to do with a real bad experience on a thrill ride when she was a little kid, someplace like the Ocoee, he doesn't know; her folks only hinted at it, and she's never said anything to him. She's trying to get through it on sheer guts and tough it out for his sake, but he says it's wearing thin."

"That's not good," Scooter said. It happened occasionally that people would get a little nervous, even concerned -- and down river, there were places where it was a good idea to be a little concerned. Once in a while it got far beyond that. She remembered Jim telling a story of a woman on a motor-rig trip who got so frantic with fear they had to call for a helicopter to fly her out. And that had been down at someplace like the Little Colorado, before they got to the big stuff.

"I don't know what the fuck to do," Crystal said. "Nicole could get out and walk all the bad stuff, but we can't piss around with it every time we hit a tiddler, either. Randy thinks get her out on the river and let her see it's not big water every inch of the way. That may settle her down a little before we run Badger. But after we run it, pull in river right, whether there's someone in camp there or not."

"Probably shouldn't be, from what asking around I've done. Why there?"

"Because if she goes apeshit, they can walk out Badger Canyon, it's the last good place for a while. I can give him the keys to my car to drive back to Flag. I'm gonna have to leave it in the parking lot here. Michelle is going to try to get up here in the next couple days to take it back, but it'd be here today."

"Jesus, I hope it doesn't come to that," Scooter shook her head. "Especially with that deal you and Al set up for him."

"Right, especially with it being Randy. If they have to walk out she'd be ashamed to see me again, so I'd probably never see him, either. Fuck!"

"Poor Randy. Poor Nicole, for that matter," Scooter sighed. "He didn't know this was coming?"

"She covered it up pretty good, or it only flared up in the last few days, he isn't sure. You remember how he is about getting out and doing stuff."

"I get the picture," Scooter sighed, remembering again Randy's rant about not being able to go places due to having to work. If they had to walk out, Scooter didn't think it would make things better. "So what's the deal on Nanci?"

"I don't know how much of it she or Al told you, but she got beat up by her boyfriend, and blew every cent she had to get here because she couldn't think of anyplace else to go. She says she's trying to get away from the life she was living in Chicago. We don't know whether to believe her. And what's more, she has no real idea of how much things have changed for all of us. What we worked out was that she's going on this trip as sort of a junior trainee swamper like we do with the high school tryouts. If she does all right Al may put her on for a while, give her a chance to get on her feet and prove herself, and maybe the Canyon will straighten her out a little. If that doesn't work, I don't know what the fuck to do."

"Crystal, I really hate to say this, but she acts like a dog with its tail between its legs. If things get worse the next thing it'll do is bite."

"Shit, don't I know it," she sighed. "The only alternative I could think of was, considering how much she's screwed around, I send her over to Shirley at the Redlite Ranch, and shit, I can't bring myself to tell my sister to do that no matter what she did to me."

"From the stories you've told, that might be an idea," Scooter sighed. "If it fell on its ass, I could maybe tell her, but I'll be off the river before you get to the end of the trip."

"Yeah, I may have to tell her," Crystal nodded. "And then I'll have about as much trouble looking in the mirror as Nicole will if she has to walk out. The only ace in the hole we have is that I'm going to introduce Noah to her and have him work gently with her a little. He's a youth pastor; he's trained in working with kid problems, and what she has is a kid problem she's never outgrown."

At Mile 8 they came to Badger, their usual stop the first night out, although the plan from the beginning had been to run right by it. The rapids was the first of the bigger ones, in the top twenty of the ones they'd see in the Canyon, and Scooter knew it would be the do-or-die test for Nicole, along with Randy. Scooter wondered if she ought to be close to Duane's raft, or at a little distance so that if Nicole freaked she'd have at least a little time to pull herself together. Finally, she decided on the second course, since both she and Crystal would be below the rapids if things got out of hand.

Scooter was on point by now, and made a routine run of the rapids with Noah on the sticks. It may have been his first time on an oarboat, but he hadn't forgotten how to handle a raft. She didn't think Noah was going to have much of a problem anywhere else, either.

A few minutes later, all six of the rafts were nosed into shore, with lines run up to nearby tamarisk trees to hold them there. "Good place for a break," Scooter called from up on the bank. "On normal trips, we usually stop here for the night, or across the river. That's usually enough to let people get a feeling for what's happening and go over stuff you need to know. But, we need to get some miles on today, so since we started early, we'll have a leg stretch for a few minutes, then get moving again. We've come a little more than half of what I'd hoped to today."

She spent a couple minutes explaining how the system for urinating worked -- into the river, men upstream, women down, and noticed several people heading in the appropriate directions. Randy and Nicole were still sitting on Duane's raft, having a serious discussion. Finally, after a few minutes, they both got up, and Nicole headed downstream, while Randy came over to where Scooter and Crystal were standing. "Well?" Crystal asked.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.