River Rat
Chapter 36

Copyright© 2010 by Wes Boyd

February 25 - April 4, 2000

Back to Flagstaff

They decided to take it easy on their way back to Flagstaff and not kill themselves behind the wheel. It took them two night stops, the second in Albuquerque, only a few hours to the east of Flagstaff, but it was late enough in the evening that they didn't want to pull in after midnight and discover that Karin wasn't at the house. They made it into Flagstaff about noon the next day, getting back to the house after being gone for almost two months, Crystal couldn't tell from the condition whether Karin had been spending all her time there, or what. She wouldn't have bet either way; her mother hadn't been the kind of person to sneak around like that, but then she hadn't exactly seemed like a Canyon addict, a swamper on her way to maybe becoming a boatman, either. In any case, what she did was her business and Crystal still intended to go out of her way to avoid catching her doing something that wasn't "above board."

They unloaded the minivan, and Crystal followed in the Dodge as Scooter drove the minivan back out to Michelle's mom on the South Rim. At least they could stand on the rim and look out at the Canyon, and know that getting back down there was a little closer. From Rachel they learned that Michelle's grandmother looked like she was going to pull through, but it also was going to mean some family nursing that would go on for several months. Since Michelle wasn't going to be available for sitting with her over the summer, she was spending the last few days of the month at the chore. She planned on being back in Flagstaff to watch the office through the first half of March, and then get in another week or two with her grandmother later in the month before the season opened. They gave Rachel a thumbnail sketch of what they'd done -- leaving out some of the wildest stuff, of course -- and Rachel said that it sounded as if they'd had a good time.

They got back to Flagstaff just as Karin arrived from the office. She was happy to see them, of course; it had been a month and a half but she'd clearly been happy and having a good winter, no matter what was really going on. She also told them that Al would like to see them sometime to go over a few things about the next few weeks. The next morning, they went out to the office, had some coffee and donuts, and told Al about their trip, again leaving out most of the wildest stuff -- not that they thought they were fooling him, of course, but there were activities involved that would have been difficult to admit.

Finally, the topic turned to what Al really wanted to talk about. "These two kids, Duane and Carl. Are they really going to be any good?"

"I ran with Duane the year before last," Scooter replied. "He was a good boatman, mature and responsible in spite of being on the young side. The fact that he made the AT shows that he's serious about what he sets out to do. If he ran last year he didn't run much, so he's probably on the rusty side. I think he'll work out as a boatman in the long run, though."

"I told him I was looking for someone to run a full season," Al said. "You think he's up for it?"

"All I can say is 'Appalachian Trail, '" Scooter shrugged. "We didn't talk to him long; he was working the counter at a McDonald's when we talked to him."

"How about this Carl kid?"

"That's a little trickier. I never ran with him, I was well before him," Crystal said. "We talked with him quite a bit; he seems like a good kid. He's going to college, but he's tired of it and wants to take some time off. Since he's on the quarter system, he can wrap up in a couple weeks. Tom said he made him a senior guide toward the end of last summer, so he has to be fairly decent."

"But did he light up when we said 'Grand Canyon'!" Scooter giggled. "Turns out he's not a newbie to the Canyon. He ran a trip with his parents, five years ago, I think he said. One of those quickie oar trips, and they flew out at Whitmore. But he sounds like he knows the drill; I get the impression he was an unofficial junior swamper, even got a little flat water time on the sticks."

"Interesting," Al said. "I pretty well had my mind made up to invite them out here, but I wanted to talk to you directly. That puts a couple pieces in the puzzle, it gives us some spring swampers, and maybe some we can turn into boatmen yet this year, we'll just have to see. Just looking at the schedule of who's available, spring isn't too bad, there's a couple holes left for summer, and we may need them as boatmen by fall. But if they work out, that pulls us a little closer for next year. I haven't really tried to figure that out yet, except we could lose somewhere between four and seven boatmen, depending, so there's going to be some holes to fill. Fortunately, we've got kids coming up that ought to be ready to fill them. There might be such a thing that when we set the schedule for 2002 this winter, some of the kids coming up might mean that we can go to the shorter seasons with three crews all season. You know about that."

"Seven boatmen leaving?" Crystal asked. "That seems like a lot."

"I'm not sure about all of them. I know four for sure: Bill and the three kids that ran summer crew with him last year, all graduating. The jury is still out on Tom, although I'm starting to bet he won't be back. Ben, well, wouldn't surprise me either way. And Jerry's not as healthy as he's trying to make me think he is. Bill is definitely going to be back to run Team 1 over the summer, but he said flat out it would be his last year."

"That's about what we were expecting," Scooter nodded.

"Scooter, I don't want to disappoint you," Al told her, "But that means you won't be getting Team 1 this year, unless something happens. But it's dead sure for next year."

"I told you last fall," she replied, "I really don't mind. I can stand another year as an assistant, there's still plenty I can learn. I saw from you and Louise and Crystal that leading trips can be a hassle and a lot of stress anyway."

"Depending on how things work out, I may swap some people around so you'll lead a trip or two, anyway," he told her. "You know how this stuff works, and like I said last fall, I want to spend some time riding with each crew, plus maybe give people a week off now and then, so I may be moving you around more than last year. Or maybe not, sometimes crew integrity is important."

"In other words, it sorta depends," she nodded. "Like I said, no skin off my tush, either way."

"Al," Crystal said. "Just throwing out an idea, what would you think of her and me switching off as trip leader this summer? It'd give her some practice in the hot seat and me a break."

"I'd have to pay you as an assistant, not a trip leader," Al shrugged. "Other than that, if you're up for it it's fine with me. What do you think, Scoot?"

"Yeah, I'd be willing to do it on that basis," she replied, "I mean, I'd just as soon get my feet wet with a team I know, rather than a team full of strangers."

"That's why I sort of want to switch you around," he nodded. "Probably what's going to happen when you get Bill's crew is that you'll get a load of summer kids. That'll give you a chance to know at least some of them."

The next several weeks went slowly. Both of them spent some time studying the books they'd bought about the Canyon last fall, so they would be able to talk about it to customers more intelligently. They slept in a lot, did some gear shopping, and went out to the local ski hill with their snowboards on occasion.

A few days after the girls' return, Karin and Al flew off to Florida, Phase II; Crystal knew they were going to be staying with Buddha and Giselle, but that still didn't tell her if something that didn't meet the eye was going on. If there was, it was fine with Crystal, up to the point where it might do something to screw up the divorce. There was a court date at the end of April that meant Karin would have to be in Chicago, but if that went all right it was mostly going to be a matter of waiting six months for the final decree.

While they were gone, Michelle was back in town to watch the office. Watching after her grandmother was tedious, she reported, but Grandma was getting better, and it was one of those family things that needed to be done. The three spent some evenings together, but they were very quiet compared to some they'd had in the Bahamas. Slowly the idea was kicked around of heading back another winter and picking up where they left off, although they talked about other possibilities of places to go with a sailboat, too. Another winter seemed a long way off.

By the middle of March, Al and Karin returned from Florida. They'd had some good surf, which Crystal knew often happened around that time period, since it was about the time she'd gone down there on spring break during her college years. Both reported that the water was a little warmer, and they didn't always surf in wet suits. Both Karin and Al were a long way from being hot dogs, but they'd had a good time.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.