River Rat - Cover

River Rat

Copyright© 2010 by Wes Boyd

Chapter 26

October 4 - November 11, 1999

Grand Canyon, Trips 9 & 10

A couple hours later, Karin was at the oars of Al's customer-loaded raft when he gave it a shove out into the current, with Tanisha and especially Jon watching from the shore in wide-eyed amazement, and Michelle looking on with obvious envy. Once they were out of earshot of shore, but floating along close together, Al commented that the only reason he'd let Michelle come up to Lee's at all was that she'd promised that she wouldn't brain one of the other boatmen so she'd get to go as a last-minute emergency replacement. She'd agreed, but said that wouldn't keep her from hoping for an honest accident.

When they floated under Navajo Bridge a while later, they looked up and saw three distant people looking down at them -- two white, and one dark black. It didn't take much looking for Scooter or anyone else to realize that two more Chladeks were going to be floating down the river on a Canyon Tours raft sooner or later.

Perversely, after the weather had been cool to the point of being downright chilly the previous trip, it warmed up noticeably for the first part of this one. It wasn't the fierce, blazing heat of summer, just a comfortable temperature. Swimsuits again made their appearance on the rafts, and the rain suits stayed in their daybags.

A little to Crystal's and Scooter's amazement, Karin spent a lot of time on the sticks, and not all on the flats. Even on the last trip she'd been on Al had let her run some of the milder rapids, but when she was on the sticks for both Badger and Soap Creek it was clear that things were going to be a little different this run. Al commented -- and the other boatmen soon agreed -- that while Karin wasn't anything like as strong as her daughter, she had a hell of an eye in the rapids and the knack for placing the raft exactly where it had to go to avoid needing a lot of that strength in the first place -- a finesse rafter, not a strength rafter. Al was picky about what rapids he'd let her run -- finesse would only go so far before there was a need for some strength, and some rapids have mandatory moves that require strength, but Karin was already talking about getting a gym membership in Flagstaff over the winter.

Scooter knew that Karin wasn't on the trip manifest as a customer, but was going as crew -- on the list as a swamper, the first one they'd had since Norma and Barbie had headed off to college. When they shoved off from Lee's, Scooter figured there was a little lip service in that, although Karin was obviously going to help out where she could -- but from the moment that Scooter noticed Karin and Bob setting up the rocket box and handwash station at Badger she began to have second thoughts about that. By the second day, it was clear that Karin intended to do everything a young junior swamper would be asked to do -- and do it cheerfully. She may have been getting a late start, but it looked like a clear-cut case of like daughter, like mother. After thinking about it a little, Scooter wouldn't have been surprised to see Karin running as a full boatman sometime in the next few years. She couldn't help wonder what Pete would think if he could see the two of them out there in the Grand Canyon.

When they were in private Crystal referred to Al as "Dad," especially to his face; the nicest thing she would call who she now knew to be her stepfather was "Pete," and often, even in public, she'd often refer to him as "that asshole Mom married."

That Al was in fact Crystal's father was still a secret known only to the four of them -- plus Jon and Tanisha, who had been told down in Phoenix. Early on the trip, they agreed that Michelle would also have to be told soon, since she was too close to all of them to keep the secret from her, and more than smart enough to figure things out from this and that hint.

Even though Al and Karin were trying to keep things "above board" -- and mostly succeeding -- it was clear to everyone on the trip that they were getting to be pretty close friends, with it just about as clear that it was heading toward being more serious than that. Scooter wondered a little just how "above board" things were going to be when she and Crystal and Michelle were gone over the winter.

Back up at Lee's, it had been worked out that they would have a big family Christmas at Al's -- and in this case, the family would include a few other Canyon Tours people who wintered around Flagstaff and didn't have families of their own in the area.

Karin suggested that Crystal might like to ask Myleigh to join them for Christmas. Myleigh was another one of their friends without a family -- she actually had one but had been totally estranged from them even before she'd met Crystal on their first day at college. She had usually spent the winter holidays with the Chladeks in Glen Ellyn when she'd been in undergraduate school. In the latter part of those days, Myleigh had been just about as close to Randy as Crystal had been, and Scooter understood that meant pretty damn close. But, like Crystal, Myleigh hadn't been willing to settle down with Randy in Spearfish Lake and preferred to chase her dream of a doctorate in English literature; she had achieved that dream over the summer, and was now teaching at Marienthal College in Kansas City. Myleigh would be at Randy and Nicole's wedding -- she'd be doing the music along with Jennifer, as Crystal called Jenny Easton, and Jennifer's boyfriend, Blake. But in the circumstances of a wedding it might not be the easiest thing to spend some time renewing a friendship. Scooter had once met Myleigh briefly and had found her rather prissy, but both Karin and Crystal told her, that if she thought that, she didn't know Myleigh well enough; she was a pretty unique and astonishing woman in her own right for someone who wasn't a rafter.

With Christmas tacked down, a couple other pieces of the schedule fell into place. After the wedding, Al, Karin, Crystal and Scooter would all fly to Florida and spend a few days surfing. Al figured that it was slow enough to let Jeff and his wife, Marjorie watch the office for a few days, so Michelle could join them in Florida. After a few days, Al and Karin would head back to Flagstaff, and the girls would head for the Bahamas.

Early on the trip, Crystal revealed -- not that she'd kept a secret, it was just there had been so damn much else going on at the time -- one of the reasons that Randy had made the trip in the late summer. On the last night of the trip, the same night that Crystal told Scooter about her mother and Al, Randy had come to her with a question he'd been saving the whole trip. Long before, he'd made a standing offer to marry Crystal, which she had never accepted; now he formally asked her to allow him to withdraw his offer, and her permission to marry Nicole. Crystal of course had immediately agreed. "If Nicole backs out," Scooter grinned, "I'm up for it. Now that's a gentleman."

That made the wedding a frequent topic of discussion, and in front of the customers. About every other campfire Scooter teased Crystal about having to wear a dress. Scooter was not sure when the last time was that she'd worn one herself, but it had been a long, long time. Crystal teased Scooter back, of course; the "Cover Girl" nickname was revived, and was the cause for some good-natured laughter. One night, when they were teasing Crystal about having to wear a dress, Crystal happened to mention that the wedding and the reception were going to be at the Methodist Church in Spearfish Lake. "Jeez," one of the customers laughed. "That means the reception will be as dry as a bone. I can't imagine raft guides going to a dry wedding."

Things like that made the first part of the trip notably good-natured. The crew usually had a lot of fun with the customers, but this was more light laughter and teasing than normal. That got everyone in a good mood, which was good, because worse days were to come.

They got no weather reports down in the Canyon, had never had them -- broadcast radio depends on line of sight, and they were well out of sight of most transmitters, which is why they'd started to carry the satellite telephones, which Al had ordered would stay snugly in their waterproof cases except for dire emergencies. They didn't have Norma, with her Indian weather sense, either, but Al and Crystal and some of the others could look at the mare's tails and cirrus in the sky and tell the very nice weather they'd been having was about to turn sour.

The sky looked especially cold and nasty on the morning of the day they started down Upper Granite Gorge, and along the way a dark gray cloud deck blew in and the temperature dropped considerably. They ran Hance and Sockdolager and Grapevine in a spitting rain, and by the time they made a brief stop at Phantom Ranch a steady rain was falling. It was wet and nasty, but they decided to press on for a while. The day was starting to wind down when they pulled into the good camping spot above Granite; there was no question now about putting up tents, and some tarps were rigged for rain flies to cook and eat under. The wind was strong enough that they had to rig a tarp upwind of the kitchen to keep the rain from blowing through it. There was no campfire that night and everyone turned in early.

The rain let up overnight but the sky was still gray and cold, with a strong wind blowing. A lot of stuff was wet, especially customer's clothes, and for once things didn't dry very fast. Spirits were down, and they still faced Granite, Hermit, and Crystal Rapids. The first two went reasonably well, but for some reason everyone had a wetter and rougher run of Crystal than normal; Dan came near as damnit to a flip, and he said later he had no idea why the raft didn't go all the way over.

The bottom line was that no one was any drier or warmer when they wrapped up Crystal.

By then everyone was pretty down, wet, and cold; Crystal was about ready to get off the water for the day and hope that things would improve tomorrow. The closest campsite was the one where Karin had revealed her secret, but with all the rain that had gone past and with the prospect of more on the way there was no way she was going to stop at a place where there was danger of a flash flood. In fact, the little stream was rolling pretty heavily when they went past. It was several miles on downstream to the first safe and decent campsite; the rain started again on the way and was going steadily when they finally pulled in to a site next to Bass Rapids.

If things had been wet before, they were wetter now. Scooter was of the opinion that it was by far the crappiest night she'd spent on the river this year, and even Al couldn't remember many that were worse.

There was some discussion of just sitting the day out and hoping for better weather tomorrow, but it was clear that they weren't going to be much wetter if they went ahead down the river. It was a day that they didn't have many big rapids, although they had a couple. Fortunately the rain quit and the sun came through broken clouds for a while later in the day, and they pulled into the first decent sand bar they could find to camp on and do their best to dry out.

They were drier, if not real dry, when they pressed on the next day. For the next four days they had rain at least part of the day; the skies were almost always a leaden gray, and there was usually a cold wind blowing. Every stream they passed was flowing deep and muddy, and there was water running in places that it was only rarely seen. Just above Havasu Creek, they stopped at a tiny, cramped sand bar; there were few camps in the area, and many of them had heavy stream flows going through them, with obvious flash-flood dangers. Over supper that night, eaten under tarps again, Crystal announced that if it was raining or the creek was running hard they'd skip the stop there, a disappointment since it was a popular spot and a nice hike. "On the other hand," Crystal said, "If we give it a good push tomorrow, we'll hit Lava along late in the afternoon. That's going to be really wet, but let's figure on running it and camping right below since we'll be pretty wet anyway if this weather keeps up. I'm not going to be concerned if anyone wants to walk Lava to keep from getting wetter than they already are."

It was raining and Havasu Creek was running high and dirty brown when they passed it the next morning, so they just kept going, with a brief lunch stop and a couple leg stretching and bladder emptying stops. Things were looking up a little when they reached Lava, and about half the customers walked once they saw the raging monster, which looks positively foreboding when the water is muddy. The river was up much more than normal, and Crystal made the strong suggestion that nobody try the Bubble Line Run, which everyone followed, since no one wanted to get any wetter than they were already. They pulled into camp immediately below -- it was fairly open, but rocky, not one of their more favorite campsites. In a quiet moment once they landed, Al, Scooter, and Crystal got their heads together and kicked around the notion of pushing hard the next three days and calling on the sat phone to have Jeff and Jimmie come pick them up a couple days early, especially if the weather stayed bad.

Not long after they pulled in, the sky started to clear, and the sun broke through a little. That night, Scooter had to get up in the middle of the night to empty her bladder; when she poked her head out of her tent the stars were shining brightly. Everyone was still wet and chilly the next morning, but the sun was shining in a cloudless blue sky. Over breakfast, Crystal asked if people would like to just hole up here for the morning and try to dry things out, and everyone agreed enthusiastically. Things warmed up and dried out considerably over the course of the morning, and spirits improved. As it turned out, after some discussion of loading up and running a few miles for the sake of doing it, it was decided to just call a day off to dry out the rest of the way. It was the laziest day that Crystal or Scooter had spent in the Canyon, but by the next morning, things were pretty well dry, people were in better spirits, and everyone was happy to be on the move again.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.