River Rat - Cover

River Rat

Copyright© 2010 by Wes Boyd

Chapter 25

October 1-4, 1999

Flagstaff, Lee's Ferry

Friday morning was strange. It still seemed strange to haul their things in from the trunk of the Dodge, to hang clothes in real closets, put them in real dressers. They took their time about it, and it still felt nice.

Once again, Scooter volunteered to do Crystal's laundry -- a washer and dryer were things the house lacked. After Al picked up Karin and Crystal in the late morning, around lunchtime, Scooter drove the Dodge over to the Burro, got the laundry going, and had a beer and a bar burger while she was waiting. She was a little surprised to see Jim wander in after a while. "I thought your season was over with and you were out of here," she said.

"Season's over," he nodded. "But they offered me a chance to stay around and do some raft maintenance for another few weeks. Just as well, the ski place up in Colorado doesn't open for a while yet."

"I thought you were going back to Denver or some place," she said.

"Yeah, but there's no rush to get back and listen to my mother and father bitch at me about needing to go to college or look for a real job or something. I'll get enough of that as it is."

"Been there, done that," Scooter nodded. "And look where it got me. Not that I'm complaining, I'm pretty much where I want to be."

"Yeah, I suppose I'll want to settle down some day," he agreed, "But not soon. I like this river too much, this life too much. It'd be hard to have a wife and be a boatman."

"It can be done," Scooter said. "You know about Al and Louise, of course, they were together for something like twenty-five years. We've got a husband-wife leader team in our outfit who I've never met; they aren't planning on leaving any decade soon, from what I hear."

"Well, yeah," he nodded, "It just takes the right people getting together. So, is your season winding down yet?"

"No, we have another month and a half, two more trips."

"Well, have fun," he sighed. "Working a ski lodge is OK, too, but I'd rather be on the river."

"So would I," Scooter smiled. "I know I've only had this year in the Canyon, but when you've been a river bum as long as I have, it gets addicting. So how much longer are you going to be in Flag?"

"Another week or two," he said. "I'll probably be gone the next time you're off the river."

"Well, maybe we can get together and hoist a few next spring," Scooter smiled. "And hell, maybe we can wave to each other out on the river, too."

Al, Crystal and Karin weren't back yet when Scooter headed over to the office to get going on groceries, but when she walked into the office, Michelle told her, "Al called and they're on the way back. He says to go get the groceries and they'll help out with the packing."

"Mission accomplished?"

"Don't know, he didn't say. I called Norma and Barbie to tell them to hold off. Dan's staying with Jeff this trip, and Jerry's with them. They ought to be here any time."

"Guess we'll have to wait," Scooter nodded. "Hey, we never got a chance to talk about the sailing trip much; this might be a good chance to iron out the details."

"Works for me, you and Crystal are the ones who know sailing, and she says you know more about it than she does, so I guess that makes you the captain."

"We'd sort of agreed on it," Scooter admitted. "Crystal actually has more recent experience than I do; mine was all when I was back in school, and it was pretty different. But it really is pretty simple on a boat that small, and I think the three of us ought to be able to muddle through."

"I sure hope so," she said hopefully. "Hey, the other night Al was saying something about going surfing with Karin and Crystal over the winter sometime. I didn't know he surfed. You have any idea what that's all about?"

"Sort of, and I'm not sure how it fits in with you, me, and her going surfing. Crystal thinks that the guy who taught her how to surf is an old high school buddy of Al's. A lot of pieces fit together including the name. Karin wants to try it out, and this guy is supposed to be a hell of a teacher anyway, so they'll probably be gone for a few days sometime."

"I hope the hell it doesn't screw up our sailing."

"Shouldn't. Al knows it's coming down. As far as I know he's planning on being around Flag most of the winter."

They were just starting to unload the pickup truck with the groceries when Al and Karin drove onto the back lot, followed by a white Chevy, which proved to have Crystal, her brother, and sister-in-law. "So you found 'em, huh?" Scooter grinned the instant they got out of the car.

"Sure did, Scoot," Crystal told her.

"Good. You sure as hell yapped about it enough last trip."

"Yeah, this is Jon, and my sister-in-law, Tanisha," Crystal told her. Jon had crew cut brown hair and was several inches shorter than Crystal. He had a solid build -- but seemed to be in good shape, which was not the story that Crystal told about him. Tanisha was a little shorter yet, with a similarly solid build, but shapely and buxom -- and about the blackest person Scooter had ever seen. "They're pretty cool, even though they're not river rats." Crystal continued. "Guys, this hillbilly is Scooter; she's my assistant trip leader and my best buddy; we used to run together back east on the Ocoee and the Nanty. The gal with the bubble gum there is Michelle; she's the one who's actually responsible for tracking you down. Once we get the season wrapped up, the three of us are going to head down to Florida and do some surfing; then we've got a sailboat chartered, and we're going to dink around in the Bahamas a bit."

"Sounds like a nice break," Jon said, and turned to Michelle. "It looks like we have you to thank for our good luck. Thank you a lot."

"No big deal," Michelle said, popping a bubble. "It's all in a day's work. Karin told me she was like pretty worried about you, but I guess things are like OK, huh?"

"Couldn't be better, after you got involved," Jon told her. "Thanks again."

"Let's get this crap packed," Crystal suggested. "Then we can sit around and talk."

Along in the middle of the packing and loading, Scooter felt the need to use the bathroom. Though she was used to rocket boxes by now, flush toilets were one of the luxuries of civilization she appreciated, so she headed up to the office and into the back door to take advantage of it.

She was just getting settled on the pot when she heard someone come in the back door. It proved to be Al and Michelle. "OK, Michelle," she heard Al say. "I wanted to ask you if there was going to be any problem with running the office a few days over New Year's, so Karin and I can take off to Randy's wedding, and then go on to Florida for a few days."

"I can do that," Michelle said, a little unhappily. "Just don't plan on staying too long. Crystal and Scooter are going to have to be heading to the Bahamas right after the first of the year. Scooter and I thought we might be able to work some surfing in on one or the other end of the trip."

"We can't be long," Al told her. "We've got all the end-of-the-year books that Karin is going to have to deal with."

"Yeah, I guess," she said. "Look, Al, I really don't want to have to bring this up. I mean, I know it's been a tough year and all, and I really haven't minded staying in the office some, and I know that with Karin joining you that you want to get out on the river with her at least a little."

"Yeah, I do," Al said. "We're still getting to know each other all over again."

"Look, like I can understand," she said, popping her bubble gum, "And I don't want to get in your way. But, Al, like while I didn't mind running the office this year what with everything, I just want to know if you're planning on letting me get out between the walls at least some next year. I want to be out on the river, not like stuck in the office."

"I can understand," Al said. "But, you know how things are."

"Like, yeah," Michelle said. "I also know that GCR is looking for someone to run oarboats and a motor rig for them next year."

Oh, Jeez-o-peet, Scooter thought from her position in the bathroom. Michelle, that's seriously sticking it to him! You want to get out between the walls, I don't blame you; and you have a legitimate complaint. But a baloney boat?

"Look," Scooter heard him tell Michelle. "GCR doesn't run but about five oar trips a year. You might get below the rim more, but that'd be on motor trips, and I know what you think about motor rigs."

"Five trips a year is more than I'm getting here at this rate," she said flatly. "And, there's other people I could talk to."

"All right, you win," he said. "It's too damn late to do anything about it for now, but plan on running Team 3 next trip. Next year, would you be up for running, say, every other trip?"

She popped her bubble gum at him. "Yeah, I guess," she said. "I don't care if I miss a few, and every other trip beats nothing."

"Look, Michelle, I promise, this winter, we'll look at getting someone else in to help in the office. After all, I suggested that Karin comes into the office just to let you get out some, but she wants to be on the river, too. Maybe I'll have to let her go some time while I stay back. But, I want to jump around teams more than I did this year, maybe do some half trips. I don't know how it's going to work yet, but I'll do my best to see that you make at least half the trips, and we'll try for more. Is that OK?"

"That'll be fine," Michelle said. "Like I said, I don't want to be a pain about it, but this sitting-around-the-office shit gets real old."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.