The Return of Father Juan - Cover

The Return of Father Juan

Copyright© 2010 by happyhugo

Chapter 7

Dale and I were at the funeral director's office at eight a.m. I let Dale speak for me. He asked the question, "Have you ever had occasion to move a body after it has been interred?"

The funeral director's name was Peter Higgins and he weighed about 350 pounds. He was huge! "Yes, of course. It's not common, but it has to be done for one reason or another sometimes. Why, do you need one moved?"

"Yes. You remember Miss Maudie Ferguson? Before she died she sold part of her land to Jim Ryan and told him there was a burial crypt on the property. She gave him the key and asked that he enter. Jim did as she asked. She also wanted him to find a descendant of the person buried there which he has done. That descendant, one Maria Cortez, is here in town to see about getting her ancestor moved."

The sticky question came next. "How long has this body been in the crypt and do you have any records to substantiate any of this?"

I opened my briefcase and passed the tablet to him. He inspected it very carefully. "This is in a foreign language. It looks like either Spanish or Latin." He studied it some more. "I make out the Roman numerals as 1559." Like everyone else who we told, Peter Higgins thought this must be some kind of hoax. He glared at Dale and then at me.

Dale continued, "You know the Andrew McPhereson monument out in the cemetery? He found the crypt when he took title to the Land Grant this town is built on. The crypt had several tiles or tablets with writing on them in it. Being curious as to what they said, he found someone to decipher them. Those tiles are still in the crypt."

Dale waited for me to hand Peter Higgins the sheets with translation on them. "These were translated by Andrew from Spanish to English in 1607." Peter Higgins took his time and read what the tablets had to offer.

"Jesus Christ, you mean Miss Maudie was sitting on this all these years? Do you have anything else that is more of a surprise?"

I spoke for the first time. "Every time someone was picked for possession and couldn't carry out the wishes of the priest, that person picked someone else to hand the information on to until the wishes were complied with. Miss Maudie was the 24th to receive and she passed this on to me. I am the 25th and I think I can carry everything to completion."

Peter Higgins was trying to comprehend all of this. "How many people know about this now?"

"Originally there were only three. Miss Maudie, myself, and my wife. Now there are several. Billy Bob Gruber, my grandmother, Maria Cortez and Father John. Father John is a priest traveling with Ms. Cortez. Also we had a pathologist come in to take some DNA tests. Beyond that there is the Spanish Ambassador and his family. There is one other that we wish didn't and he knows some of it. That is a professor at the University of Kentucky. All he could see was fame and fortune, so he didn't get all the details. That's about it."

"Where's this Maria and the priest now? You say they are in town?"

"I think they are having breakfast at Miss Daisy's Diner. Can I buy you a cup of coffee?"

"No, I guess not. Why don't you go get them and meet me back here? I'll look these items over and decide what I want to do."

Dale and I went over to the diner and found Maria and Father John. I told them we had to go back to the funeral parlor. I couldn't tell them yet how this was all going to come out.

Returning to the funeral home, we found the door locked, so we waited. It was 15 minutes later that Peter Higgins came around the corner and unlocked the door to let us in. "Sorry I wasn't here. I went over to the library. We have some papers that are in the archives about Andrew McPhereson. The writing looks to match McPhereson's and the paper at the library appears to match too. I'm inclined to go ahead and start the paper work. Outside of the time line, everything is as it should be. I have no problem processing this." Shaking his head in some disbelief, he continued, "This has got to be about the most amazing thing ever!"

Peter Higgins had to send an associate undertaker to help retrieve Father Juan Carlos' remains. I had informed the funeral director that he just wouldn't fit into the entrance of the cave and more importantly the passage into the crypt. We went through the details of how and what we would need. I described the body and how little the pathologist said it would weigh. We settled that Father John, who wanted to be present, would wind the mummified body in cloth covering. This would be placed in a body bag and we would carry it out. I suggested that we take along a board and include this in the cloth winding.

Father John, Maria, the undertaker and myself drove out in a small utility cargo van used around the cemeteries. We stopped at the farm so I could get the key and the jeep. Maria said she didn't want to go farther. There wouldn't be room in the jeep anyway coming off the mountain with the three of us and Father Juan.

The weather had turned cold as the day progressed. The ground was frozen. We would be lucky to get this done today. Tomorrow might be too late. It looked like snow which would prohibit this project until possibly spring. I'd have to ask sometime of Billy Bob how Miss Maudie survived so many years up here.

We parked the jeep behind the cabin. I went in and got three flashlights and we started up the mountain. It was pretty tough hiking. The undertaker was getting more and more nervous. I could see that he was out of his element. Father John was a trooper, aged as he was.

When we reached the entrance to the cave I stopped and said to the undertaker, "Okay we are going to have to crawl aways uphill. Then we are going to enter into a cave where we can stand upright. The only problem with the cave is if you speak or make any sound the noise will be magnified and deafen you. We have to go around the edge of the cave until I lead you into a passage. It is very narrow but there is no danger. When I reach a door I will stop and unlock it. Then we will be inside the crypt where Father Juan lies.

"There are already some battery operated lights that I have placed in the crypt. We will use them to work by. This will only take a few minutes I hope. Then the only thing I have to do is turn out the lights and lock the door, bringing Father Juan with us. Are you ready?"

"I guess so. Caves aren't my thing. Are you sure you need me to go with you?"

"Well, two people could probably do it, but this is your job and it is going to be much easier with three."

"Okay I'll give it a shot."

Father John started into the tunnel with the undertaker dragging the body bag behind him. I brought up the rear. We reached the cave with no problem. I had cautioned the undertaker about making any noise. He was so startled when he stood upright in the cave that he dropped his flashlight. The sound was there! It reverberated and the undertaker dove for the exit, disappearing where he had entered a minute before. It looked like Father John and I had this to do alone.

Picking up the supplies we eased into the passage. It was difficult to maneuver the empty bag. It was going to be even more difficult bringing it out filled. As we reached the door and could speak out loud, Father John, thinking of the undertaker, commented, "Fear is one of life's most powerful emotions." I agreed as I unlocked the door.

We didn't lose any time in preparing Father Juan for transport. After a short prayer, I slid the board we had brought with us under him. I lifted one end and Father John wound the muslin round and round until we reached the middle. Then we started at the other end. When we finished, we found our package too small and the bag way too big. Folding the bag lengthwise we tied it with the straps made to hold it to a gurney. Easing our bagged priest out the door, I returned to turn off the lights.

Where the crypt had been warm and close, it now felt stark and cold with the absence of Father Juan. The only items left were the tablets with Father Juan's writings and the lined up dolls that represented the first eleven Chosen Ones. I locked the door wondering if this was my last trip here. I would decide later when and if I returned to remove these items.

It was awkward edging through the passage to the cave. We not only had to be careful of damaging Father Juan, but we had to juggle our lights to see by. The exit of the cave presented its own problem. Where we had to carry the bag upright in the passage, here we had to have it horizontal. We managed by my going backward down the burrow. I would reach up, lift and bring Father Juan to me. Father John was lifting and pushing forward as I was going backward. We ended up dousing our lights and doing it in the dark with me guiding my partner verbally.

I just hoped that when we reached the opening, the undertaker had not gone off and left us. Father John was about worn out from his exertions. We were on time, but just barely. The undertaker was headed down the mountain as we came out. I managed to get his attention and he returned to relieve Father John of his burden. He said, "I thought something happened to you. I was going to get help. You were gone a lot longer than you said you would be."

All I said was, "We had to do a lot of it blind because there was no one to hold the light." He knew I meant him and said nothing of his fearful exit.

By the time we reached the cabin and the jeep, there were snowflakes in the air and the wind was blowing a gale. I had to drive very carefully down the mountain. The undertaker was balancing the wrapped body on his knees in the back. Father John had turned and was holding our precious cargo from the front seat. I was afraid that the wind would flip Father Juan from the grasp of the hands holding him.

Maria had been waiting anxiously for our return from the mountain. We went in and got warm in Billy Bob's quarters. I gave him a brief description of the trouble we had encountered. I asked Maria if she wanted to ride into town with us and her ancestor. She did. Father John decided to ride in comfort with Billy Bob and Todd who had been at the farm all day.

I wanted to ride in the back with Father Juan Carlos. This would be the last time I would be close to him and I kind of wanted to say my good-bye. Maria chose to ride there with me. The undertaker moved some of the fake green-grass rugs around for us to sit on and placed Father Juan between us on a casket cradle. The undertaker drove slowly so as to not rough us up.

I spoke to Maria sitting across from me. "You know you will be going home to Spain soon. You will be meeting your love and your family. I am glad that Father Juan is going with you. This may be strange, but I feel he has been watching over me. I have the feeling he is going to be watching over you now. That makes me happy. I know that your way of life isn't mine and I know you couldn't choose otherwise. I hope you are happy and with Father Juan watching over you, I'm sure you will be. I truly will miss you."

Maria looked into my eyes. We both knew that the carnal knowledge we had shared had been replaced by a more solid friendship. We clasped hand to hand with the other resting on the parcel between us. That is the way we finished our journey to town.

The funeral director was all business when we arrived. He had in stock a three-quarter size casket that would contain the remains for shipment. He had been busy on the phone to Spain. He contacted the funeral director in the town where Father Juan was to be buried. He was surprised to find that Father Juan already had a monument. This had been erected in his memory in 1575 when the church and family had finally given up hope of his return from the New World.

I said something to Father John about how it seemed that everybody in foreign countries could converse in English while here in the US, not one in twenty could speak a second language.

"Yes I know. That is one of the things that may bring about your downfall. It is a perfect example of America's arrogance. You can go into a coffee shop in Europe and the patrons are all discussing ideas about this and that and maybe the world situation. You go into one here and all you hear is someone bragging what they have or how much money they make or how far up the corporate ladder they've reached--and all while they are being served by someone that is not being paid a living wage. It is sad really."

Peter Higgins asked me who was going to pay for his services and the expense to fly the casket to Spain. I said I was responsible for everything up to the time it reached foreign soil. Maria Cortez and her family would be making arrangements and shouldering the expenses at that time. Peter couldn't give us any exact times when Father Juan Carlos Domingo would begin his journey home. It was in the hands of others now. I had said my good-bye to him in the van coming here from the farm with Maria. As I left the funeral home I felt a weight lifted from me. I felt good also that I had borne that burden without hesitation and completed the task that had been given me. At times I had felt lifted up when I was near Father Juan. I was going to miss him!


We reached Miss Daisy's house about six p.m. Father John was exhausted and I was pretty tired myself. Todd was anxious to get into the air. I made calls to Kate asking if she would pick me up at the airport. Maria and Father John would stay over with us until they could decide how to go their separate ways. At the last minute I asked Joe, my brother-in-law, if he would like to go visit his sister. He jumped at the chance to be reacquainted with the sibling he hadn't seen for nearly fifteen years. We said our hurried good-byes to the Grubers. Kate and I were driving back here for Christmas in less than a week. Joe's family was used to being without him as he was often away on military tour. They would cope easily without him until Christmas. After we got into the air, Joe asked me if he would recognize Kate (Hattie Mae) when they met. I assured him he would as she looked enough like Miss Katie to be her twin.

"So this is my baby sister I haven't seen for so long--and pregnant too." Kate was surprised when Joe grabbed her and gave her a big hug. We all fitted into the car and were home shortly. Father John was too tired to eat so I soon had him settled in one of our spare rooms. Gram and Kate had started a late lunch which we demolished in short order. Kate and Joe made for the living room to catch up on their lives.

Maria, Gram and I cleaned up from the meal and then Gram wanted to know how successful I was getting Father Juan taken care of. I told her about going to the university and the problems I had with the professor. She agreed with me that I had followed the right course with him.

"Maria, what are your plans now?" Gram asked.

"I was going to have Christmas with my uncle. However he may have left for Spain already. I suppose I will follow him home and be with family when I get there. I just hope I can get a flight. I promised Father John that I would stay with him until he got back to New York. He looked pretty tired tonight. Maybe a good night's rest will rejuvenate him and we can leave tomorrow."

Gram looked at me, "I understand you are planning on going back to Kentucky to be with Kate's family for Christmas?"

"Yes, and we are including you."

"Well, I'm not going. Do you realize how many kids are in that family now? I think I will stay here where it is quiet. You will be back before New Years. We can celebrate then." I argued with Gram but I couldn't change her mind. I would make it up to her somehow.

Snow blanketed the whole eastern half of the country that night. Father John was too sick to travel. Maria and Kate were acting more like sisters than sisters could. Joe was puzzled about Maria and Father John and why they were included so much in Kate's and my life. I said, "If you can wait until Christmas, after dinner I will tell you the whole story. Billy Bob knows it all and has been a part of it. It is quite an inspiring tale and it is time to tell the family."

When the roads cleared we all went Christmas shopping. Joe was buying presents for his wife and kids. I bought Gram a diamond brooch and Kate a pair of diamond earrings. I decided that I better get Miss Daisy and Billy Bob something. I was pretty much out of ideas so I settled on a brooch for my mother-in-law. Joe said she would never wear it, but she would love to have it to show off. Billy Bob was easy. I went into a gun shop and found an engraved twelve gauge over/under shotgun, manufactured by one of the country's most famous gunsmiths. The engraver was renowned too. I knew Billy Bob would recognize both.

I wanted to get Maria something unique. Something to remember me by. I finally bought a diamond pendant solitaire on a very, very finely wrought gold chain. So fine you could barely see it. I was assured that it was as strong as the ones with larger links. Behind the diamond was an eyelet to attach an object to hang just below the pendant. I bought a beautiful blue sapphire birthstone and had it enclosed in a separate little heart-shaped box. It had a hook to affix the sapphire to the diamond. Doing my math, I had come up with a September date if my coupling with Maria bore fruit.

Joe and Kate were watching television in another room. Father John had a light supper in his room and was resting. Gram, Maria and I were sitting around the dining room table. I was working on some paper work pertaining to the mine in Ohio. Gram was doing the same with the final sale of her business. Maria had just got off the phone to her companion in Spain, and said she couldn't wait to see her and her little girl. Later that evening I had another vision.

I was drowsy. I had to lie my head down for just a minute. Then I was awake and standing with Maria by the cabin of Miss Maudie. We were facing overlooking the valley in the bright sunshine. There was an old priest I knew had to be Father Juan sitting on a boulder near us. He was speaking which I took to be a greeting. I could not understand what he said until Maria took my hand in hers.

"The son of this, your union, will become the Chosen One to tell my story. To prepare him for this, you, the father, will safeguard all of the artifacts that pertain to my journey to this New World. You, the mother, I ask that you immerse your son in the teachings and records of the church. There is a clear record of me written in the church archives. Someday you, the father, will know your son. He will come to your door and ask if you are his father. It will be possible to recognize him as your son at this time.

"To complete his university degree, the son will be doing a thesis on those of the church that went to the New World to teach the aborigines the word of God. You, his mother, will tell him of the records kept safe by his father.

"The lineage of Jesus Domingo, my brother and through him, me, has diverged and been diluted over time. It has now converged and strengthened in your union as you are both of my blood. Thus it makes possible your issue is able to tell the saga of Juan Carlos Domingo."

"Come on Jim. Wake up and go to bed. You too Maria." It was Gram shaking me. A minute ago I was in Kentucky in the bright sun. Now I was here at home. Maria was just waking too.

I said, "I guess I was dreaming. I dreamt I was at Miss Maudie's cabin." The dream was so clear to me. I looked at Maria. I had a feeling that she might have been dreaming too.

"Was the sun shining?" she asked. I nodded. I guess we had the same dream. I would like to think so anyway.

We all retired. Kate dropped off to sleep, but I was restless. I was thinking about what had occurred this evening. I nudged Kate and told her I was going down and brew a cup of tea. Maria was evidently unable to sleep as she was sitting quietly in the living room in the dark. I asked if she would like tea too. She joined me in the kitchen while it was steeping. Over our cups we compared notes on the dream we both experienced. We discussed what it meant.

We came to the conclusion that Father Juan Carlos was a favored person in the eyes of God. We realized that we must be distant cousins--really distant. Then we started laughing realizing that from all indications we didn't have any choice in cohabiting and producing a child. It was predestined.

I asked, "Do you have any indication if you are pregnant?"

"I will know in a day or two I think."

"I think you must be. Father Juan as much as said so." I felt sad as I said, "You know you are heading back to Spain and your homeland. This may be the last time we talk. I would like to tell you now that when I first met you I knew that you were someone I was terribly attracted to. I thought it must be lust. I was disappointed in myself, for I really love Kate, and the new baby. Kate solved that problem by inducing me to take you to bed. Now I just feel that you are a wonderful person and will be a good mother to our child."

Kate must have heard the murmur of our voices as she sleepily appeared in her nightgown and robe. I poured tea for her and Maria related our dream and what we had been talking about. Discussing this, I impressed upon Kate that she had a major involvement in all of this. First, it was her connection to Miss Maudie and second, the insistence of my coupling with Maria.

I interjected, "And never a jealous moment!"

Kate looked puzzled as she thought about it. "You're right. It just seemed that it was something you should do. I can tell you this though, it better not happen again with Maria or any other woman. I didn't feel as though you were unfaithful that one time, but I couldn't bear the thought of it happening again."

I decided that I would give these two women who were closest to me their Christmas presents now. I gave Kate her earrings and the promise that for New Years, we would go dancing to show them off. Kate was curious to see what I had purchased for Maria. I first handed her the box with the diamond pendant in it. Maria was thrilled.

"Oh thank you so much. It is beautiful! I shall treasure it always."

"There is more," I said as I handed her the little heart-shaped box. "The feeling has persisted and I believe Father Juan confirmed that you are going to have a baby. My baby. This is for you to wear after the baby is born."

Maria, with shaking hands, undid the wrapping to the sapphire birthstone nestled in the box.

Tears were in Maria's eyes as she thanked me again. Kate was acting so proud of me for being so thoughtful. She put the two stones together and then helped Maria off with her robe so we could see how they looked being worn with her rose-colored nightdress. The chain was the right length for the smaller stone twinkled in her cleavage set off by the larger brilliant stone above it.

Kate had to have a picture, so went looking for our camera. The final result was stupefying. Maria had the shiny black mane, the creamy olive skin, the two stones above the lacy-rose covered breast and the love of motherhood showing in her eyes. She was astonishingly beautiful. The slightly tousled hair only added to the down-earth quality that was Maria. Mona Lisa had nothing on this fetching lady.

Kate and I were both speechless and in awe of this beautiful Madonna standing before us. "Oh come on you two. I can't look that bad." Little did she know why her vision had us in her spell. Finally after promising that we would remain friends forever, we went back to bed.

Gram was preparing breakfast in the morning as Joe, Kate and I were getting ready to go to Kentucky. Father John remained in bed and Maria was still sleeping when we got ready to leave. I made Gram promise to see that Father John got his Christmas present on that day. I said that Kate and I would be back in a day or so and would see everyone then.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.