Day of Destruction, Book 2 - Jim's Story - Cover

Day of Destruction, Book 2 - Jim's Story

Copyright© 2010 by Frank Speaks

Chapter 12

We left the next morning heading east on I-40 from Knoxville. The land was beautiful though the road had suffered from weather and no maintenance. We didn't care. Even though I-40 didn't track in anything remotely reassembling a straight line, it was a definite step toward the Woods. Even the horses seemed to understand that feeling. We had a long way to go but we would be going easterly from now on.

According to the maps, it was about one hundred twenty miles to Asheville. Our normal rate suggested twelve days. It didn't work that way. The map didn't show the hills and valleys of the Great Smokey Mountains. It took us three hard weeks to reach Asheville, North Carolina. We stopped at Biltmore. I had seen it once many years before the Day. No one else in the group had ever been there. I felt it would be worth the time. When we arrived, we needed to stop and rest. We and the horses were tired and worn. We had picked up detailed tourist maps to Biltmore on the road and pulled into the front yard area. The mansion was still there and seemed stuck in time. We settled in, pasturing the horses and making sure they had feed and water. We grouped together the wagons as was our habit and began to work on maintenance items. There were many items and much to be accomplished. We had a better appreciation for the terrain over which we would have to travel in future weeks. I was wondering if my choice was good. It took three days to complete our maintenance lists and get everything shipshape for more travel. The horses could use more rest and we began to explore the mansion and the surrounding grounds. They were still beautiful. There was some overgrowth in the grounds and a few leaks in the old mansion. It surprised me how well it had stood with no maintenance for years now.

Wendy had been looking at other tourist maps. She wanted to go into the mountains. I talked her into not going since we had pretty much promised to go to the Oaks next year and could sightsee then. The places she wanted to see were off our track and fall was going to arrive before we would arrive at the Woods. She agreed that we didn't need to be in the mountains when snow hit.

After almost a week, we left moving easterly on I-40. We were headed home again. My estimate was about two hundred twenty or thirty miles. At our average speed, it would take just over three weeks. With the terrain, four was more realistic provided there were no problems.

My concerns were true to Hickory. We were slowed by terrain. Strangely, we saw not one person. If there were any people in Asheville, they were hidden and left no traces. This was a tough area and farming was not easy. I wasn't sure if we would see anyone while in the mountains. There were many areas with no people by comparison to other areas. We saw no one until we arrived in the Hickory area.

According to the map, we would pass just south of downtown Hickory. Al and Angel had point at this time. They would range ahead a few miles maintaining contact by radio. They arrived in the Hickory area and told us a bridge was out and we would have to take the exit ramp and then go back on to traverse it. Angel said they were starting to do that. Then she said, "Defense." That meant they had someone or something that worried them. We bunched up waiting for a further communication and Arnie and Melody got their riding horses ready to assist them. They were about two or three miles in front of us. I marked the spot on the map where we were and where I thought they were.

A few minutes later, she came back on saying, "Conditions are barely acceptable. Come forward cautiously." I passed the word to the others. Arnie and Melody were for riding up quickly. After responding to Angel, I said no but asked them to stay on horseback with Tom and Joanna manning the guns in the back of my wagon. Their wagon would be brought forward. We were under strength and could not lose anyone. Everyone agreed and we moved slowly forward to the exit ramp. We could see the damaged bridge up ahead.

I keyed the radio, "Angel, this is Jim. Where are you? Report."

For a response, I heard her say, "Everything's fine, come on in." Alarm bells went off in my head and Wendy took a breath.

I said, "We have a hurt animal. Can you come help us?"

"Roger, Al will be there in a minute."

Sure enough, we saw Al walking toward us a moment later. We went back a wagon and were lifting at it like there was a problem. Al came up and said, "They have Angel but I don't think they want trouble. They are scared."

"What do you suggest?" Wendy asked.

"I think that we should pretend to fix the problem and head on in. We will have about the same number as they then. We will have the advantage of knowing how to fight if we must."

"Okay," I said, "it's risky but we've been doing that for a while, now." We got ready and slowly made our way down the ramp. We carefully did not try to move fast. I was concerned for us but also for Angel who they were holding. We got to the road and saw a group of men and a few women all standing around holding rifles. I could see Angel being held over by two men. I slowly got off the wagon and walked toward them limping. I didn't want anyone to do anything foolish and was trying not to look combative. I reached them.

"Hello," I said, "my name's Jim Woods. What's happening?"

"You've entered Hickory and we own the place." One of the men said.

"You are welcome to it and everything in it. We are on our way back to Chapel Hill from exploring up north and west. We are just passing through." I said.

"You will have to pay toll to go through." The same man said.

"It depends upon how much is your toll. Who are you?"

"My name is Burt Wiggins. I'm in charge here. It will cost you two wagons to get through along with horses."

"Gee, Burt," I replied, "I think that's a bit steep just to ride through. I would have to talk to rest but that's a lot."

"Your lives are worth more than that, I think." He replied.

"Our lives are worth a lot but so are yours. If it came to a fight, you might win but it would cost you a number of lives which makes your situation rougher than it is now." I really didn't want to fight. I noticed Arnie and Al quietly getting ready for trouble. I felt very exposed.

Burt said, "We can talk about payment, I guess. If you want to leave one of your women and a wagon and horses, we would consider that."

"Well, Burt, I will have to go back to my group and talk it over. Angel, let's go and we will all talk it through."

"She stays here with me."

"That's not a good idea, Burt." I had keyed the mike to the radio so our group was listening to the discussion. I decided that force would have to be applied. There had been a pause. "Burt, I really think Angel should go with me back to our folk so we can talk this over."

"I said, 'No.'" Burt shouted.

"Down, Angel" and I fell to the ground. I saw Angel drop down. Shots rang out and Burt and his helper fell dead. Al and Arnie formed a quick line and Al shouted in his non-com voice, "Anyone else who wants to die just needs to move. We're going through, all of us. Arnie, pull the shades." Arnie reached down and pulled a rope removing the cover from my wagon letting everyone see Tom and Joanna manning the machine guns. The Hickory folk were caught in the open and were not ready for a prepared response to their hijacking attempt. Al shouted again, "Very, very slowly, let your guns go to the ground. Don't fire even by accident or you're dead!" I think they believed him. I know I did.

Rifles and pistols were laid on the ground slowly and hands were raised. Staying out of any line of fire, I crawled over to Angel and untied her hands. I then checked Burt and his helper verifying that they were dead. They were. Walking slowly, Angel and I went to my wagon where an anxious Wendy was waiting.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.