Day of Destruction, Book 2 - Jim's Story - Cover

Day of Destruction, Book 2 - Jim's Story

Copyright© 2010 by Frank Speaks

Chapter 11

The battle was over. The last gunshots we had heard were those ending Jim's and his buddies' lives since they wouldn't surrender. We gathered our prisoners at the decoy camp and fed and watered them. We then started them into town escorted by us. It was time to figure out what to do with these people. I had always heard that violence begets violence. I had had my share of it but you also have to protect your people and yourself from those who desire to take by force what they haven't earned. If the Cincy's had acted like the New Yorkers had, their little setup would still be there. I don't know if we would have paid a toll to go through but we would not have started a fight to do so. Anyway, we had a group that needed to move away from killing people on a regular basis.

When we arrived in town, we found an interesting situation. Word had gone out that Ed and his two henchmen were dead and that their raiding party and rescue party had both been defeated. The other men had rebelled against those few of Ed's supporters who were still alive. Mike's neighbor, Calvin, had taken over as leader and we were welcomed without reservation. The prisoners were quickly divided into two groups; those like Mike who were forced into working and fighting and those who did the forcing under the leadership of Ed and his two guys. The first group was freed after Calvin talked with Wendy and I. I could tell that women would have a tough time in this community by the way even Calvin looked at Wendy. There was no respect for her just fear because our side had won.

Wendy and I talked about what this would mean as time passed. She told me that saving the entire world was not my job. Getting us back to the Woods and lowering the violence quotient were. I agreed reluctantly. I think every man has an inborn urge to remake the world into what his ideals would have it. Women are more practical. At any rate, we would not try to change the Sin Loos, just stop their predations upon their neighbors. They would gain more by being friends than by conquering because, sooner or later, someone or some group stronger would show up.

George and Ed were ready to return as were the Cincy women. They had lost three of their number and had five wounded. I thanked George and Ed because, without them, we would not have won. George's arm was in a sling but he was okay for riding. They left the next day. All the Cincy women but one went back to their homes. That one went with Ed and became his wife. We found that out later by radio.

My grandson, Tom, was able to get around on crutches which was good because Joanna had been wounded in one arm. Jeremy was dead. Tom comforted her and stayed by her. Mickey was dead, as were Della and Sue. Al, Angel, and I were just about the only ones without some kind of injury.

Doreen was busy patching wounds and overseeing the Sin Loos healers in their work.

Calvin came to me the next morning with two questions. First, he wanted to know what I was going to do with the Sin Loos. Second, he wanted to know what I wanted to do with the second group of Sin Loos prisoners. I told him to come back in an hour and a decision would have been made.

I talked with Wendy, Arnie, Melody, Al, and Angel. I told them what Calvin had said.

Al started, "Angel and I want to come with you. I think we would like to live at the Woods and settle down. Revenge is empty unless you can find a direction to go from there. We've talked about it and want to go in the direction we see the Woods going." Angel smiled at him and nodded at us. Wendy squeezed my hand and Arnie nodded.

"I think that is the one of the easiest decisions I have ever had to make. We will be glad to welcome you as members of the Woods and will announce that at lunch and over the radio tonight when we report. However, that leaves us with the two questions from Calvin."

"What do you think, Jim?" asked Arnie. "You've had the longest time to consider it."

"I have thought about it. We need some replacement supplies but won't take anything else. I don't think their attitudes toward women will fit the Woods philosophy well and I would suggest not offering any technology, including radios, to them. The prisoners are their problem. I think they will be killed but I don't want us to do it or actively make that decision. We let them divide them into two groups and there is a logical consequence to that division."

"They will kill them." Angel said. "That is their way now. Ed's followers will reap the results of his actions."

Arnie said, "Melody and I agree about taking things with us. We had talked about it. We aren't conquerors. We all just want to go home."

"Then," Wendy said, "we're agreed. We just need to replace our losses and leave. We know that the Sin Loos will kill the rest of the prisoners after we leave." Everyone nodded all around. I saw Calvin walking toward us and motioned to him to come over.

"Calvin, we have made a decision." I said. "We only want enough supplies to make up our losses and then we will leave. The prisoners will be left to you and your people to handle as suits your customs. We would suggest that you begin to learn that violence and suppressing people does not work in the long run. Sooner or later, you run up against someone faster, meaner, or something-er than you. However, that's your problem, not ours."

Calvin thanked us and went back to his people. Over the next two days, we gathered needed supplies and packed the supplies and our people for traveling. When we left, the prisoners hadn't been killed but were being worked. Calvin's people had some difficulty dealing with Angel and Wendy but, after one disastrous event with the two of them and a small group of his men, there was no trouble.

We moved down the road toward Knoxville. Our first stop was in Richmond at the Blue Grass Army Depot. Al and Angel wanted to stock up on some light supplies if we had to fight again. As much as I hated the idea, I knew that history suggested we be prepared. All of us drove over to the Depot and checked it out. To our surprise, we found a couple there and that very little looting had occurred. After talking with them, they decided to through in with us and leave. After a discussion and loading some mortars and a few other things that Al wanted, we decided to blow the arsenal. That wouldn't be easy but Al was sure he could do it. We wanted to avoid equipping some crazy's army. Al set the explosives to blow an hour after we left. We mounted up, ready to go. Al came up on a horse and said, "Let's get out of here! The clock is running!" We left. An hour later, the ground shook with the explosion. Al had been successful, I guess.

We continued on our route to Knoxville. We stopped early at Boone and looked at the sights. That was our only real stop other than at evenings. All in all, it took almost three weeks to reach the outskirts of Knoxville.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.