Day of Destruction, Book 2 - Jim's Story
Chapter 9

Copyright© 2010 by Frank Speaks

Morning dawned and we had scouts out quickly after that wanting to track the Sin Loos as they moved toward us. We would maintain contact by radio with our base as well as our scouts who had earphones and lapel mikes. Tom had worked over their units to make them silent to protect our people while they were out.

We could hear the Sin Loos talking to each other over their radios. It seemed that they had no idea that we had radios much less were listening to them. Their radio techniques were not under control and there was a lot of useless chatter. Al, Arnie and I had debated using their radio frequencies to send confusing messages but decided that it wouldn't assist us and might give them pause to be more careful. Our people were being very careful not to be seen or heard. Al and Angel had permission to take out scouts when they thought it advisable. I gave this permission knowing that they would do it anyway. I did tell them that taking prisoners was preferred if practical. The first rule was not to risk any of our people.

They came on and we could hear them over the radio talking like this was a lark. They noticed that their scouts were coming up missing and slowed down sending new ones out. Al told me this was good because they would not know what was happening and our scouts could get closer to their main party. For some reason, they continued to talk over their radios like they were spread out in a long line. I suggested to Al that a small attack on their rear might be a good idea. He thought for a minute and may have conferred with Arnie and Angel. He replied that they would try a small party to see if that was realistic and would attack if it was.

Al had worked with some of our guys and set up some demolition charges on the road and on both sides. One of our people was hidden away to set off the charges if and when the Sin Loos came close enough for them to do any good. We were listening when our hidden guy, Billy, came on the radio and said they were on the road and he would set off the charges in a minute. Al came on and said to let the first group pass as they were going to attack the rear. He told Billy to keep telling us where the main party was in relation to the charges. Just as Billy said the main party was going past the charges, Al came on immediately after shooting, "Blow 'em, Billy. Hit 'em now."

We heard an explosion that was not too close and many gunshots further away. Our initial efforts had started. It was no fun to wait and not know what was happening. We continued to hear gunshots and then they faded.

Al came on. "We attacked them and have gotten away with no causalities. We believe we got five or six."

Billy came on. "The explosion killed about twice that many and disrupted them badly. A number, about fifteen, are now on foot. I am laying low until all of 'em pass me. Out."

Al came back on, "We're moving ahead of them to set up an ambush on their right."

Sue came on. "They are staying on the main road and bunching up some. I think all that shook them." In my mind, I agreed as the chatter on their radios had stopped. We were still badly outnumbered and stealth was our ally along with secure communications. Al had explained to each of our people with radios that being captured with a working radio simply couldn't happen. We had booby trapped the decoy with more explosives as well as the approaches to it and to our real main camp.

Al came on. "We're ready for them again. We will catch the lead group this time. Stand by."

We waited anxiously. Suddenly, gunfire sounded again. It sounded like a volley almost followed by more shots. Al came on. "We're falling back to the decoy and will get in position there. We dropped six or seven that time. Ben was wounded and will return to base round about. He has no radio."

I knew we had been lucky so far. Ambushes would only work for so long. Then, we would have to fight for our lives and freedom.

Suddenly, my radio crackled. "This is George from VanWert calling. We heard your report three nights ago. We're riding hard with twenty plus some women from Cincy. Where do you want us? What's the situation?"

"George, it's good to hear you. This is Jim Woods. Stay on the road and Al will call on this frequency with details."

"George, this is Al. Describe where you are, please."

"Al, this is George. We are going through Georgetown."

"George, stop. Stay in Georgetown. Prepare defensive positions. I am sending Arnie and Melody to you. Watch for them."

"Okay, Al. We'll stop and hunker down."

"George, this is Arnie. Melody and I are entering Georgetown from the east. Please don't shoot us."

"Okay, Arnie. Come on in."

We heard nothing for a few minutes. "Al, this is Arnie. I have talked to George and I have thirty-two in position just before your position. Let's hit them together when they start to attack the decoy."

"Good, Arnie. Pass the word quietly. Sue says they are closing on us."

I felt we had a chance now to win a battle. It took fewer to hold than to attack. George's people made a lot of difference. We still had considerable advantage in surprise, communication and tactical leadership. I'm not sure my strategic leadership was worth much one way or another. I felt with the explosives and some surprise, Al could accomplish a lot.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.