Day of Destruction, Book 2 - Jim's Story - Cover

Day of Destruction, Book 2 - Jim's Story

Copyright© 2010 by Frank Speaks

Chapter 4

I wanted to see the ocean again. We left the Woods heading east northeast to go to the ocean as our first stop. We would go into Virginia to Virginia Beach. We had some old road maps I had previously collected and went through Chapel Hill to Virginia Beach without any problems. We played tourist and looked at everything we could knowing that this might be the last look in a long, long time. We could see some ships at anchor and some that had washed up onto shore. We inspected each ship that we could reach. There was nothing in them of any use. From Virginia Beach, we went into Norfolk. The naval ships were better moored but, in the long run, it would not matter. We found two families. One was an extended family group of twenty-five and they looked to be stable. The other was a single family and we suggested that join the other group or move to the Woods. I didn't know what they would decide when we left. Later, we found by radio that they came to the Woods and became a useful, happy part of our community. We made nightly contact with the Woods by radio. We had batteries and a generator that the horses powered to charge the batteries as they pulled the wagon.

When we left Newport News, we went a bit west to Richmond and then due north to Washington, DC. Wendy had never seen Washington and I wanted to show it to her and the others before it deteriorated too badly. Everyone wanted to see Washington. Following the interstates seemed to be the best way to travel though I felt exposed as we went along even with scouts.

We arrived in Washington and toured the sights. They weren't the same with no people there. We had no problem getting anywhere. The memorials were quiet and were not harmed as yet by the weather.

The Smithsonian was very interesting and we looked at things that were not on the standard visitors' lists. It took two days and three flashlights to see everything there. It was a little spooky but we enjoyed everything we found. We found nothing to take back to the Woods. I had become convinced over the last few years that we had all the information that we could use. The teenagers were great to have along and the entire party was working well. Arnie was a great scout. He and Melody worked well together and were proving useful as scouts. We had some portable radios that they used sparingly to advise us if there were any problems. I was surprised by the few people we were finding. In our radio contacts, Paul and I discussed this as did Wendy and I as we traveled. We knew how bad the virus had been but really expected more people to be left.

We found two communities living on the outskirts of Washington. Neither were able to get any electricity going and they were not farming. They were still living off the residue of the city. I realized that our expedition had started none too soon. In a few more years, the big cities might have starving people looking for travelers to loot. At this time, there was still a sense of national identity and basic friendship for the most part. Besides, we made a formidable group. Those who we felt might be compatible, we pointed toward the Woods.

We finally left Washington and headed toward Philadelphia and the Liberty Bell. We saw and met the people from two farming communities on the way. We talked about radio and gave them our location describing what we had done and were doing. In Philadelphia, we looked at the Liberty Bell and then moved westward into Amish country. I wanted to see how the Amish were doing. I had some slight understanding regarding their religious beliefs. I thought they wouldn't use the radio but they could teach us much about living in a low technology world.

After a while, we started to see signs warning of horse and buggy rigs on the road. We began to see farms but no people. I had Arnie ride up to some of the farms announcing himself loudly. No one came out. He reported back by radio. I suggested that he enter the premises to see what might be there. He acknowledged and I could see him hand the reins of his horse to Melody. He came out a moment later and reported.

"I found the family. They all died of the virus. The house has had no one in it. It's in good shape still and there are plenty of goods stored. We need to send an expedition here to scavenge."

"Possibly. We have only checked out one house. I want to check a lot of houses before we go that far. Let's ride on and look at some more. Stay on roads. Some of these fields look cultivated. Also, holler out a lot. We don't want someone to think we're trying to slip up on them."

"What if they slip up on us?"

"That's a risk we will have to take. These people are not known for being belligerent."

"Okay, Arnie out."

"Jim out."

"Jim, this is K3BRQ, Mark. Over."

"Mark!" I exclaimed. "This is Jim Woods. We are exploring up here in Pennsylvania from North Carolina. We are excited to here from someone. What is your location?"

"Roger, Jim. I am in Amish country. I relocated here from Philly after the Day. We have a small community here. Most of the Amish died of the virus. We have only found one child. I am surprised that you are using radio. I have been monitoring this frequency for years and heard nothing."

"We use ham radios for communications. One of the members of our community is a ham and he has us hooked up. We have another radio for long distance contact back to North Carolina."

"How many are in your community?"

"We have about five hundred there. There are twenty to twenty-five adults plus some kids on this trip. We are exploring the northeast."

"Okay, your trip group is as large as we are. Let me talk to some of our people. Stand by."

I waited a few moments. Wendy looked at me and said, "Either they would like to meet or they will set up an ambush."

"Yeah. I hope it's the former."

"Jim, this is Mark. I'm back."

"Okay, Mark."

"I have talked with some of our people and we would like to meet with you."

"Fine. We are coming into the town of Ephrata [The town exists where the story shows. Everything else is my imagination.] on US 322 from Philly. What works for you?"

"We are west of Ephrata a bit. Let's meet in the square."

"Okay, we will head that way."

"See you there shortly. Mark out."

"Arnie, did you hear all that?"

"Yes, I will head toward town and stop looking in at houses."

"Good."

We made our way into Ephrata at our usual slow pace. We had no overt arms other than holstered hand guns. In our wagon, Jeremy and Tom both had rifles ready just in case. We found the square without difficulty and arrayed our wagons on the east side. I told everyone to stay put and be watchful. I didn't expect trouble but we should be a little bit wary. I had returned to Wendy when four men and two women on horseback came in from the west.

"Okay, Wen, let's go talk to them." She nodded and I helped her out of the wagon. She didn't need help but I enjoyed touching her. We walked up with Arnie and Melody behind us on their horses. I felt a bit naked but had positive hopes and smiled. As the two parties came together, one man and one woman from the other group slid off their horses and came to us with their hands extended in friendship.

"I'm Mark and this is Cindy. We're together now. Our group is informal about leading. That's why I had to talk before we met."

"That's okay, Mark. I am Jim and this is Wendy. We lead this exploring party."

"It's a long way from North Carolina to here."

"Yes, we agreed to make this trip to find out as best we could what's happening in the northeast. We have heard nothing on the radio and almost no one has come to us since the Day."

"Okay, Jim. Why don't we go to the shelter and talk more comfortably?"

"That's a great idea." I said.

Everyone dismounted and tied their horses and we entered an open gazebo in the middle of the square. We could be seen by everyone which I thought was good. I had a few people quietly scouting to keep anyone from sneaking up behind our party as we talked.

Mark introduced the rest of his party and I introduced Arnie and Melody. Both Melody and Wendy came in for some stares from the men except Mark. Cindy and Mark were in their mid forties and Cindy was not a beauty though wasn't terrible looking. Wendy and Melody, on the other hand, were younger and quite attractive. I noticed the men's looks but decided to let it go unless there was provocation.

I explained our community, its size, and how we went about making decisions. Mark was not as forthcoming about his people. The looks from the other three men were becoming a bit much.

Finally, one of them broke his silence, "What you're saying is that women are not claimed. I will claim you." He was looking at Wendy.

She said, "You aren't man enough. I am married but no man will ever 'claim' me." He stood but stopped suddenly when Wendy's 45 automatic appeared in her hand. "Sit down or fall down dead. The Woods is civilized but will not tolerate that kind of activity. You try 'claiming' any of us and you will be dead in short order. Mark, is this what your society is like?"

Mark hesitated. "It's not," he started, "I mean, Cindy and I aren't..."

One of the other men shouted, "Get 'em guys!" As things had become more uncomfortable, I had keyed the radio to broadcast the discussion to everyone. Arnie had turned his radio off when he dismounted.

As he shouted and they lunged at us. Wendy already had her gun out and popped all the guys but Mark before they could draw. We dropped down and heard shots ring out. Arnie went down with a bullet in his shoulder. Mark and Cindy and the other woman had dropped face down and weren't moving to do anything. I had a feeling that they had been hostages in some way.

Shooting continued. Melody and I pulled our pistols and were ready with Wendy to shoot anyone we could see not in our group. They were distant from us, more than I would like for a pistol. However, they had not counted on Jeremy and a few of the others who were expert marksmen. It didn't take long before the shooting slowed. Any time one of the strangers showed himself, someone would have and take a shot. Most of our shooting was accurate. After ten minutes, my radio crackled.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.