Day of Destruction, Book 2 - Jim's Story - Cover

Day of Destruction, Book 2 - Jim's Story

Copyright© 2010 by Frank Speaks

Chapter 3

The next day, Wendy had made a list of people who wanted to go and let it be known that late decision makers either way should make their desires known quickly. The Hanson party left headed due west, all eight of them.

Some people came to Wendy to add their names to the list and two took their names off the list. On the next day, the council met to talk with those wanting to make the trip. First, we would meet as a group and then the council would meet with them individually. We didn't plan to make a decision for a day after that.

We all gathered together with the council the next day. Wendy and I sat with the rest of the volunteers rather than at the council table. This surprised a few people including some spectators who were always welcome. Paul convened the meeting saying, "We are met here to determine the number and make up of the traveling party for the upcoming trip. Depending upon the number chosen, we will then discuss the resources to be taken for a successful trip." Paul made no comment about Wendy and I not sitting at the council table but he did leave our usual seats conspicuously vacant. Paul continued, "The council wants this trip to be successful. It is not a sightseeing tour."

Jack said, "This is the time for questions of a general nature. We have made one decision already. Jim and Wendy shall make the trip and will be its co-leaders. Anyone not liking that decision should not plan on going." No one moved.

Jeremy asked, "Will we take radios with us on the trip?"

"Yes," I replied, "Radios have become an important part of our community experience. Maintaining contact with the Woods will be a requirement. The people of the Woods deserve to know what's happening on a regular basis. We hope that some reports will be broadcast to the entire community and all reports will quickly be made available. I have also been asked to write a journal of the trip. It will be transmitted regularly and publicized to everyone."

Another man asked, "I am guessing that we will hunt food and bring some with us also. That would lighten our travel burden though slow us down slightly. Is that correct?"

Paul answered, "That is correct. This is not a speed run. The council wants the area explored thoroughly. We are hoping that this is a first trip and that, with its success, there will be other trips authorized."

There were four mid teenagers who wanted to go. Tom was Ed's nephew by marriage and an electronics whiz. Jeremy Hanson and his sister were there as was Josh's young former wife, Shirley. That was a bit of a surprise. Most of the rest were couples with older or no children and a few singles of both sexes.

Paul said, "We will now meet with Wendy and Jim who will be present at your meetings with the council. Don't go far away. We want to complete these meetings today." Everyone left but Wendy and I and the council. "Okay, you two. Come take your usual places." Paul said.

"No, Paul," Wendy said, "we will sit on one end. It is time the council recognized one thing and did still another."

"What?" Paul asked, obviously confused.

"Paul, you and the other council members need to recognize that Jim and I will not be returning to the council regardless of the trip. We will serve until we leave or until our replacements are selected. You, I believe, will be the primary spokesman so you should sit in the middle with Susan beside you." He looked troubled but did as she asked. That cleared two seats at the end for us and we sat down. Wendy looked at Paul waiting. She could be tough when she wanted to get something done.

Paul squirmed a moment and then said, "Okay, okay, I'm just not used to being in the room with you two and neither of you being in charge. What do you see for this trip, Jim?"

"This trip started as a sightseeing junket for Wendy and me but has become more than that, much more. With no contact from the northeast, we should know what, if anything, is going on up there. It's been eight years and we should have contact with people in that area because there has to be people up there.

"I would see us going north and east in a zigzag manner trying to cover as much ground as possible. I think a trip to the coast would be first and then head north. Washington, DC, is a definite stop. Probably, Philadelphia followed by New York. After that, there should be some east-west movement to go with the northward direction. I think Boston and then Maine. From there, we can cross into Canada and follow the St. Lawrence seaway to the great lakes. I would like to show Wendy Niagara Falls. After that, we would head west toward Chicago. From there, south through Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, and Tennessee. It wouldn't be a straight line but would cover a lot of territory. It will be mid March before we can leave. If we can do all that and get back by fall, I would be very satisfied and we would know a lot about a good portion of our world.

"Any next trip would probably be northwest beyond Chicago to Denver and then, perhaps, California. That's another trip for another decision but it's in the back of my mind. Anyway, that's my thinking. Oh. I would take everyone who wants to go. We may need them and they will mature on the trip."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.