El Yes, We'd Like Some of That - Cover

El Yes, We'd Like Some of That

Copyright© 2010 by Ol'Mac

Chapter 20

WEDNESDAY 12:30 P. M. CST Navy Pier, Chicago, IL


Following this latest contact with Mike, the logistics coordinator of the Golden Gatekeepers sent a query through his cadre in search of the ones that would be willing to post to Miklit's home world. The trouble was not in finding volunteers; it was in toning down the chaos this question raised. All volunteered for this duty post.

Finally he had it pared down to the two he felt would be the most stable in an alien environment. Lesh and Stome would be a perfect pairing for gate's end on this route. With this decision made he sent the Intel on to Mike.


On receiving the latest update from the Golden Dragon coordinator Mike knew he was going to be forced to update The President on this newest twist in things. Heaving a heartfelt sigh, he made contact with, 'Good afternoon, Mr. President. Sir, I hope that I'm not interrupting anything of earth shaking importance, but we've had a development on this end that could conceivably change things on an interplanetary scale.'

'One moment please while I get out my camouflage.'

Looking in his wife's eyes, he said, "I'm sorry baby, but I have to take this one. I'll make it short, I promise." Opening the cell phone, he said, "Yes?"

'Sorry for the subterfuge, but I'm sitting at lunch with my wife and she knows me inside out. Having a conversation without a communication device would have raised questions we don't want to answer at this point. Go ahead, but make it short please.'

'Of course, Mr. President. As of one hour ago we started batting around the idea of launching a gate to Miklit's home world. There were several pros put forward concerning this idea, but the three outstanding ones were:

One: The gate would allow us to transport, Miklit, Pilot and their vessel back home instantly and in one piece. We would do this as publicly as possible on their end. It would eliminate any accidents along the way.

Two: By doing it this way we would be telling their decision makers that we not only found and disarmed their failsafe, but that we communicated with their scouts freely. How else could we have gotten their home world's coordinates to return their people?

Three: By returning their people safely we demonstrate that dealing with us upfront, instead of from fear, is the best approach.'

'Then we hit them with the possibility of establishing an instantaneous trade and transport network. From what we have gleaned out of Miklit, they already have limited trade in their local stellar neighborhood with four other races. The kind of transport system we're offering would allow them to increase trade exponentially with absolutely no infrastructure cost to themselves. Can you see any holes in this we might have missed?'

'No, I can't. You folks seemed to have covered all the bases with this. I'm assuming the Dragons covering the portals will be screening both ways for any hazardous materials?'

'Yes, Sir. It's my understanding that it's automatic and part of the transport sequence. If there is anything detected, the countdown ends right there. Nothing gets transported.'

The President then sent and laughed out, "Excellent. I can't see any downside to this. You have carte blanche to see this through. Keep me apprised though."

After another thirty seconds, he added, "Not at all, you're quite welcome."

Putting his cell back in his pocket, The President then looked up into the eyes he had fallen in love with so many years before, saying, "Not yet baby, but soon, I promise."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.