Fighting for Family
Chapter 13

Copyright© 2010 by Lazlo Zalezac

John took a sip of coffee while watching his wife working in the kitchen. She was wearing an apron and high heels and nothing else. He put down his cup appreciating the sight she presented him. The only problem was that there were traces of bruises still visible.

"It sure is strange how often Rose is visiting her friends in this neighborhood," John remarked conversationally.

Vicki said, "It's not so strange."

"She has also stopped pushing me to get a divorce from you," John said.

"That's good news, isn't it?"

"I just find it kind of odd that she suddenly dropped the subject," John said.

Vicki said, "Let's not look a gift horse in the mouth."

John said, "You've never explained how you got all of those bruises."

"Don't worry about it," Vicki said.

Since the day when Rose had unleashed her fury upon Vicki, the two of them had spent several afternoons talking with Reverend Billings. The discussions were not combative. His questions forced them to examine the situation from the perspective of the other. He asked Rose how she felt her mother should treat her after the violent confrontation. He asked Vicki to speculate about how much pain Rose must have felt to drive her to such violence. A significant amount of healing had occurred in a very short period of time.

"Rose did that to you, didn't she?"

"John, please don't ask that question," Vicki said.

"You're not going to answer it?" John asked.

Vicki slowly turn to face him. She took a deep breath and then said, "I have vowed to obey you in all matters large and small. I beg you, do not ask me to answer that question."

"Okay," John said. Her answer confirmed what he had suspected. He was going to have a long talk with Rose.

"Thank you."

Changing the subject, John said, "I should have left you more furniture."

Vicki walked over to the kitchen table. She said, "I don't think I'll be living here much longer."

"Why?" John asked.

"David has made peace with me. Rose and I have come to an understanding. I expect to deal with Lisa soon," Vicki said confidently.

John frowned.

Vicki asked, "What's the matter?"

John said, "If one were to measure anger on a scale of one to ten, David was about a two, I was about a five, and Rose was about a seven."

"What about Lisa?"

"I fear that Lisa is a ten. I don't know why, but that girl has a whole lot of anger inside her," John said.

Vicki said, "She's a middle child."

Reverend Billings had explained about how the middle child is often insecure about his or her position in a family. They often hide their insecurity behind a facade of anger. He suspected that Lisa was more insecure than truly angry, although there was some righteous anger in the mix.

"What's that mean?" John asked.

"The middle child is often insecure. The oldest child is special because he or she is the role model for the younger children. The youngest child remains the baby of the family and gets lots of attention because of it. The middle child is left without a special role," Vicki answered.

"Maybe," John said. "I'm not aware of having treated any of the children differently."

"It doesn't matter," Vicki said. "She's the middle child."

John said, "Lisa is faster, stronger, and angrier than Rose. Judging by the damage Rose did to you, I don't think you'd survive an attack by Lisa."

"I'll keep that in mind. Rose was almost too much for me to handle," Vicki said. She realized what she had said. "Damn."

"I knew it," John said. "I'm going to paddle her butt good. She's not going to be able to sit down for a week."

"Don't do that ... please."

"Why not?" John asked.

"She apologized. I apologized. We're working to establish a relationship. It's not easy. I beg you not to make it any harder than it is," Vicki answered. Her lower lip quivered.

"What she did was wrong," John said harshly.

"I don't know if I can take any more," Vicki said. "I just want to get my family back. I've got a fragile relationship with Rose and I don't think it would survive another blow."

"Against my better judgement, I'll let you deal with Rose," John said after considering it for a moment.

Relieved, Vicki said, "Thank you."

"Don't make me regret it," John said. He would have been a little sterner, but she had leaned forward with the result that her apron shifted.

"I won't," Vicki said. She followed his eyes to where they were fixed looking down her apron. Grinning, she asked, "Do you like my outfit?"

"Yes," John said. He wasn't sure if he liked the view from the front better than from the rear or vice versa. Both views were pretty spectacular.

"Does it give you any ideas?" Vicki asked.

"Oh yeah," John said while reaching out to release the apron ties.


"Lisa."

"What Dad?"

"I didn't know you were interested in Ballroom Dancing," John said.

"Huh?" Lisa asked puzzled by the assertion that she was interested Ballroom Dancing.

"I'm really happy you picked me to be your partner," John said.

"My partner?" Lisa asked wondering if she had wandered into the twilight zone.

"I wish you had asked me before you signed us up for lessons," John said.

"What lessons?"

John held out a sheet of paper and said, "I just got this confirmation in the mail. You've got one just like it. We're enrolled in a Ballroom Dancing for Beginners class. According to the paperwork, you signed us up for it."

"Really?" Lisa asked. She grabbed the paper from her father.

"Yes."

Lisa read the sheet of paper. There in black and white was her name with her father's name as her dance partner for Ballroom Dancing lessons. The class was held every Tuesday night from seven to nine. The tuition for the whole six week course had been paid. The reservation had been in her name.

"I didn't sign up for this," Lisa said waving the piece of paper around.

"Oh well, I'll just call them and cancel," John said lightly.

Lisa asked, "Did you mean it when you said that you were happy to be my dance partner?"

"Sure," John said.

"Maybe it would be fun," Lisa said.

"Do you want to do it?" John asked.

"Sure," Lisa answered.

Confused, Lisa went over to her father and asked, "Dad. Did you get this for me?"

"What is it?" John asked.

"It is a year-long membership to a spa," Lisa said holding up an envelope filled with papers.

"I didn't get it for you, but it sure sounds like something you'd enjoy," John said.

Frowning, Lisa pulled out a page. She said, "According to this, I've got two massages and a visit to the hairdresser each month. I've got my choice between a manicure and pedicure or a facial once a month. It is all prepaid."

"I'd go with a pedicure if I were you. I've always wanted to get a pedicure. Can you see me with my toenails painted a bright pink?" John said in a teasing voice.

"Oh Dad!"


Lisa answered the door. There was a strange woman, a very well dressed strange woman, looking at her. "Hello?"

"Hello, Lisa," the woman replied after glancing down at a photograph.

Lisa stared at the woman wondering how she knew her name. She had never seen that woman before. She leaned over and examined the photograph the woman was holding. It was a picture of her.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.