Better Than New - Cover

Better Than New

Copyright© 2010 by Coaster2

Chapter 2

Romantic Sex Story: Chapter 2 - Newly divorced, Val sees his luck and his life turn around in a most unexpected way.

Caution: This Romantic Sex Story contains strong sexual content, including Ma/Fa   Consensual   Slow  

Act 2

Saturday, July 11th, 7:00am

"What are you doing here at this time of day?" I asked Doreen as she waited for me to unlock the door.

"Is this your regular opening time?"

"Yes, but you didn't need to be here this early."

"If I'm going to be your 'right hand, ' then I should be here when we open. Everyone else will be."

I grinned and nodded. "Can't argue with that. Good to see you. We can get started right away. I'll call all the guys together before they get going and introduce you."

I used the paging system to call all the men into the body shop area for a brief meeting.

"Guys, I'd like to introduce you to Doreen Gordon. She'll be starting with us on Monday morning as my assistant and she'll be in training. I want and need your cooperation to make sure she gets whatever assistance she needs to learn the business and contribute to our success. I've talked in the past about further expansion, and I can't do it without adding staff and more space. More work means more profits and year-end bonuses, so help me out and make our new people welcome."

"Hey boss, can I have an assistant too?" a voice came from the back.

"Ralph, I'll get Barry to be your assistant and you can pay him out of your inflated salary."

That brought general laughter and another comment from me.

"Guys, I want you to act like gentlemen around Ms. Gordon. No crude jokes, etc. Just behave the way you do when we have customers and visitors in the shop. Thank you."

That signalled the end of the meeting, and several of the men came up and introduced themselves to Doreen, welcoming her to BTN.

"Tommy, can you stay for a moment. I've got another meeting in a while and I'd like you to go over the shop procedures, especially the paperwork, with Doreen. She's going to be taking that load off you and me, so make sure she understands what we do and how we do it."

"No problem, boss. Nice to meet you, Miss Gordon. I'm Tommy Tilbury, and I'm the shop foreman. I'll be grateful for any paperwork you can take off my hands," he smiled.

"Tommy was the first employee I hired when I started the business. He's been my go-to guy on the shop floor and there isn't a job in any department he can't do and do well."

"Nice to meet you, Tommy. I'll look forward to working with you," Doreen smiled as they shook hands.

We walked back into the office.

"As of Monday, we will be sharing this office, Doreen."

"We will?"

"Yes, until you get you used to the flow of work and how I handle the phones. By the end of the week, I'll have a portable office parked off the end of the restoration shop. The hydro and the phone company will have us hooked into the system by Friday. When that's done, both of us will move to the portable and our new accountant will use this office. You, Tommy, and I will have to start planning our new building almost right away."

"New building? You didn't mention anything about a new building."

"I've been calling it expansion. I need more space for the restoration business if I'm going to grow it. It's the most profitable and therefore the one we want to invest in. I'm also going to have to find more people to man that department. That will be the hard part. We are turning down business right now because we don't have the manpower. I need to be able to concentrate on that with Tommy while you keep things moving here."

"What about property?"

"Not a problem. I bought the site behind us when I bought this property ten years ago. It was cheap because it had been a fuel storage lot and the ground was badly contaminated. I had it cleaned and replaced, but there was a seven year moratorium for site remediation, so I couldn't do anything with it. I was lucky. I got it out before the new tighter regulations were implemented. Now it's free and clear and worth many times what I paid for it. The building will be very straightforward, and with the same construction as our existing units it will blend right in. I already have the planning department's conditional approval. Now it's a matter of final blueprints, funds, and a contractor. Am I moving too fast for you?"

"Almost. I had no idea you were this close to expansion. Is this why you were in a hurry to find someone to help run the business?"

"Yep. Luckily, you happened along. Then, when Norm decided to retire as my accountant, I decided to bite the bullet and have a full-time accountant for the business. Money management is going to be important for the next little while. The last thing I want to have happen is to slip out of profitability and not have profit sharing for the men. That would be a downer for them, considering how hard they've worked to make this place a success."

"I hear Carolyn is interviewing for the job."

"Actually, she's coming in this morning and with any luck, you and she will be working together again," I smiled.

"That would be terrific. She's really good to work with. She'll be great for your business."

"I think so too, but like you, she's got a lot to learn and we're going to need her to keep us on the financial straight and narrow. Every employee is going to be important for the next while."

Doreen shook her head and smiled. "Well, I said I wanted a challenge, and it looks like I got it."

Saturday, July 11th, 8:55am

"Good morning, Carolyn. Come right in. Don't mind the crowd. Doreen will be out with one of my guys in a couple of minutes."

"No problem. Hi Doreen. Fancy meeting you here," she giggled.

"Small world," Doreen smiled, as Tommy tapped on the door frame.

"All set to go?" I asked him.

"All set, Doreen. Follow me."

Doreen waved to Carolyn and mouthed "see you later."

"Have a seat and make yourself comfortable. I gather that's your résumé," I said, reaching for the offered folder as she nodded.

"Norm says you have the right qualifications for this job, so we don't need to discuss that. It's really about whether this is where you want to work and if you'll be happy here."

She was staring at the pictures on the wall behind me. I had been collecting a rogue's gallery of my work, with photographs of happy customers and their cars. Many of those photos were now on our website.

"Oh ... sorry ... I was just looking at all the pictures of the cars."

"Yeah ... well ... that's what we do here," I said, looking over my shoulder. "In the beginning it was just Dad and me. Then, when I went out on my own, I hired Tommy, and we've been growing steadily for the last six years. The pictures kind of tell the tale from the top left down to the bottom right on the wall. At some point I'm going to have to find a bigger wall."

"Based on what Doreen's told me, this is a really interesting place. I'm anxious to see it," Carolyn said, perhaps a bit nervous yet.

"Good. Why don't I take you on a tour and you can see what we do and what kind of a place we run."

We walked out onto the autobody shop floor and I saw the same reaction from her that I saw with Doreen: surprise.

"Wow. Doreen wasn't kidding. This place is amazing. So clean."

"I'm sure she told you why."

"Yeah. Makes sense. I mean, not all your customers are men. I'm sure women would react like I did. Makes them feel better, I'll bet."

"It does. Almost everyone who comes in remarks on it."

We moved through as I explained the three different areas. When we walked into the restoration shop, she stopped again with an astonished face.

"Doreen told me about this too, but it's even more interesting than she said. That silver car ... what do you call it?"

"That's a 1935 DeSoto Airflow."

"I've never heard of a DeSoto before."

"It's an old Chrysler brand, long gone since the early sixties."

"It looks so weird ... tubby ... like me," she laughed.

I knew better than to respond to that line. We walked through the area and saw Doreen and Tommy deep in discussion at one of the work stations.

"Doreen's really excited about working here. I can see why."

"Well, that's what I'm hoping for. I want our people to want to come to work each day."

She nodded and continued to look around her. "Well, it's quite a nice place. Well lit and with light colors to keep it bright. It makes the cars look better too."

"Yes. That's all part of it. Lighting is important for the men too, especially in winter when it's dark outside. Why don't we go back to the office and we can talk about my plans and what your responsibilities would be."

She sat in the chair as I pulled out my last financial report from Norm, passing it to her.

"I assume you will keep this in confidence, but you should have a look at what the business looks like right now."

"Of course," she said, looking at the three page report.

I sat silently as she scanned the numbers and comments. Norm was nothing if not thorough, and I was sure she would have most of her questions answered on those pages.

After a few minutes she put the report down. "Is there a busy or a slow season to this business?"

"Good question. It used to be summer, but no longer. We have more opportunities for business than we can handle in the restoration side. The bodyshop is a little less busy right now, so that helps with vacation time. So, to answer your question, we're running pretty much at capacity and would like to do more."

"These numbers look good. What's surprising is the cash flow is positive. That's a real good sign."

"Yeah, that's what Norm said too. But to keep it that way, I need to day-to-day money management, particularly if we're going to grow the business. That's where you come in. I'll be borrowing to build, so those costs have to be factored into the bottom line. I'm not panicked into doing anything on a deadline, but sooner is better. My thinking is to find the people I need before I build. My guess is we can have a new building up in six months from letting the contract."

"How long before you can find new people and how many do you need?"

"I heard one of my competitors is in trouble and thinking about selling. I might go there looking for people first. I need three men capable of top quality work, and one more paint man."

"When are you going to try and get them?"

"As soon as I hire my new accountant," I said with a waggle of my eyebrows.

"So, that brings up the next question. How much does this job pay?"

"Forty thou, plus benefits, plus profit sharing. A review in three months with the possibility of a raise, another in six months, then annually. Same deal as Doreen, seein' as how you two share your secrets."

"Not all of them. Anyway, that sounds fair and if the job is offered, I'll accept on that basis. I would appreciate it if you would put it in writing."

"What's the matter?" I chuckled, "Don't you trust me?"

"Just being careful. Wouldn't want any misunderstanding right off the bat."

"Fair enough. I guess I should do the same for Doreen, too."

"Wouldn't hurt," she said with her ever ready smile.

"So just to confirm, then, you're hired. I assume you need two weeks for notice at Beeson?"

"Yeah ... unfortunately. The sooner I'm out of there, the happier I'm going to be."

"Sounds like you and Doreen are singin' from the same song book."

We'd finished our talk just as Tommy and Doreen returned from the shop.

"Doreen, Tommy, meet our new head accountant, Ms. Carolyn Findlay."

The two women hugged and congratulated each other. Tommy offered his hand and Carolyn shook it firmly.

"Nice goin', Boss. You're doing wonders improving the look of the office."

"Careful, Tommy. Behave yourself or I'll tell Jeanette."

Tommy showed a look of pain before smiling and waving as he headed back to work.

The rest of the morning was taken up with going over the routine in the office and how we answered the phones, wrote up the estimates, and billed the clients. There were few questions from the girls as everything seemed straightforward business practice. Since they were friends, I didn't have to worry about how they would get along together. On top of that, they were enthusiastic about working here. That was exactly the way I wanted it to be.

Sunday, July 12, 1:00pm

"Cheers!" Paul said, offering his mug.

"Skoal!" I replied.

"Did I tell you my girlfriend's got a new job?"

"Very funny. Just don't keep her up all night and make her late for work."

"She's pretty jacked up about the job, Val. I think you've made a good decision. She's pretty sharp."

"And you're not biased," I chuckled.

"Okay ... a little bit. Just the same, I'm really glad she's out of Beeson. You're not going to be Trip's favorite person this summer."

"Like I give a shit. I still owe that asshole some payback."

"Yeah. I'd like to be there when it happens. It would be great if Monica was around to see it too."

I nodded. "That would be poetic justice, wouldn't it?"

"How long do you figure they were gettin' it on?"

"I don't know. Probably a few months. I don't know if Carolyn or Doreen know anything about my ex-wife, but they may know when she started hanging out with him."

"More likely Carolyn than Doreen. Her office was up front near the sales department, so she might have been more aware. I can ask her if you like."

"If you want. I don't care. It's over now. She chose him over me and there isn't anything that's going to change that."

"I wonder how long it will be before she figures out she's made a bad trade."

I shrugged and took another pull at my beer.

Monday, July 27, 7:00am

"Well look who I have here," I said with a big grin. "Welcome to BTN, Carolyn. Doreen, remind me to get Carolyn a key to the front door."

Carolyn chirped brightly, "Time to start counting the beans."

"Good morning, Doreen."

"Morning, Val. Should I go out at lunch hour and get a key made?"

"Good idea. In fact, why don't the three of us go out for lunch and we can talk about what I've got planned. There's a food court in the mall and a kiosk that makes keys. We can kill two birds with one stone."

The girls looked at each other and agreed.

"Great. Now, Doreen, as usual, you get together with Tommy and go over the schedule. Find out if there are any hold-ups or problems that need to be dealt with. Carolyn, you can look after the mail, hopefully containing more checks than bills. I imagine you have a routine that you would normally follow, so go ahead with that. If you've got any questions, come and see me. In the meantime, I'm going to call my contact in Santa Rosa and see what the latest is on the status of my competitor."

"Doreen, you and I should get together this morning to go over where you're at so far. I need to set up a timetable for you to meet with our key suppliers. I really want to make sure we have a good relationship with them, but not have them take advantage of us. That's where my experience can help you."

"Yes ... thanks, Val. This is all so new ... so different from the furniture business. The people are different too. It takes some getting used to."

"Don't worry ... you're doing fine. Just don't be afraid to ask if you're not sure."

It was great to have the two women up and ready to go this quickly. Doreen was proving to be quick learning the systems we had in manufacturing and order processing, as well as purchasing and expediting. But she was eager and from all appearances, very direct in her telephone manner with our suppliers. After only two weeks on the job, I was feeling good about hiring her.

Friday, October 23rd, 3:10pm

I pushed my chair back from the desk in our portable office, and sighed. I was almost seeing double looking over the contract for the new addition.

"Doreen, can you spare me a few minutes, please."

She looked over from her computer screen. "Sure."

"I promised you a review after three months," I began as she sat in the nearby chair. "I probably don't have to tell you that I'm really happy with your progress. It seems like almost every day that I do. I'm getting a sore back from patting myself for hiring you."

Doreen blushed, "Thank you."

"I don't have any real criticisms other than I'd like you to back off a little on your workload. I don't want you burning out, and trust me, I know that can happen. You've done everything and more that I wanted when I hired you, so relax and turn the wick down a little.

"Tommy is in seventh heaven since you took the paperwork load off him. I guess what's impressed me most is the relationship you've been building with the guys. You don't take any shit from them and they respect you for it.

Pardon my French. As of Monday, your pay will show a 5% increase. We'll do this again in another three months. Congratulations!" I smiled.

"Thank you, Val. I'm really pleased that you're pleased. Don't worry about me burning out. I'm loving this. So much to learn and I have so much more control over how I work. It's better than I expected by a lot."

"There is one thing I'd like you to do Monday morning. Please bring your car into the shop and leave it with Tommy. He'll need it for four of five days, so you should have it back by Friday afternoon."

"Why? How will I get to work?"

"Use one of the loaners from the autobody shop. Tell the Administrative Manager I okayed it," I chuckled.

"What are you going to do with my car?"

"It's going in for a make-over. You are an executive with this company. Just like the rest of this business, I want you to be seen in the best possible light. When we're done with it, it will be better than new."

"Uhhm ... how much will it cost?"

"Nothing. I consider it a cost of doing business. When people see you in that car, I want them to think of BTN as a class outfit."

"That's incredible, Val. A raise and a reborn car, all in the same afternoon. I don't know what to say."

"Well, then it's settled. If you're happy, I'm happy. Have a good weekend, and we'll see you Monday," I said, standing and offering my hand. She shook it with her usual firm grip and then surprised me with a quick kiss on the cheek. I wasn't expecting that.

Friday, October 30th, 3:45pm

"I can't believe what I'm seeing," Doreen exclaimed as she ran her hand over the refurbished Camry. "It really is better than new."

"Glad you like it. Dad worked on the mechanicals and says everything is fine other than new brake pads, oil and filters. Just the interior and body needed real work."

"I bought this car used and the upholstery was stained is several places. Those stains are all gone. That's amazing."

"How do you like the color?"

"It's so much brighter than the original. It looks familiar."

"It should. It's the same metallic burgundy I used on the panel van. The pinstripe is gold and hand done. Hope you like it."

"I love it. It's gorgeous. Thank you so much. I love what you've done for me. Thank you." Again, another quick kiss on the cheek.

"Well, it wasn't all for you, remember. You're advertising our work too, so don't forget to tell your friends who did it," I teased.

She blushed, but probably knew no response was required.

I walked back into the office to see Carolyn, but I was a few seconds too slow. Doreen had grabbed her and dragged her outside to see the car. After several minutes of oohs and aahs, Doreen returned to the portable and I had a few minutes with Carolyn alone. It was time for her first review.

"You mean I get a raise already? I've hardly just started here."

"You're doing a great job. I'm really pleased at your communications. I get a weekly report from you on our financial status, and our bank manager has good things to say about you and our negotiations on the expansion loan. You've also begun to make some suggestions that are bound to be helpful.

"Last week I told Doreen how I was congratulating myself on hiring her, and this week I'm doing the same thing with you. You two ladies are going to make a big difference to our future."

"Thank you, Val. I really like working here. It's such a professional environment, and I feel like I can contribute some ideas without worrying about being shot down before I get a hearing. I can't wait to tell Paul," she smiled, clapping her hands together.

"Go ahead. He's always glad to hear good news."

"I was thinking, you know, just how much happened that one day when we met on the golf course. It doesn't seem possible that both Doreen and I have had so much change, and so much satisfaction in such a short time. Doreen is a completely different person since she came here. She's so much happier than before."

"That's good to hear, and I saw that too. She must have had a bad experience

somewhere along the line, but she seems to be over it now."

"I don't think it's my place to talk about it. She'll have to be the one to tell you about it if she decides to."

"Understood." I was pleased that Carolyn wasn't a gossip, especially in her sensitive position.

Tuesday, December 1st, 8:15am

"Good morning, Better Than New, Val speaking."

"Good morning, Mr. Keating. This is Warren Beeson speaking. I wonder if I might arrange an appointment to meet with you. It's regarding some work your company may be able to do for me."

I knew from the tone and timbre of the voice that this was Trip's father, a man I generally respected.

"Yes, Mr. Beeson. What would be convenient for you?"

"Would later this afternoon be too soon? Say, three o'clock?"

"No ... that would be fine. I'll look forward to seeing you then."

"As will I. Thank you, Mr. Keating."

I had forgotten how formal the "old man" was, but that was an inheritance from his father, and it suited him. Too bad his son wasn't a chip off the old block.

Tuesday, December 1st, 3:00pm

"Come in, Mr. Beeson. Please excuse the portable. It's temporary until the new expansion is ready next year." I caught a glimpse of a black Lincoln Town Car, undoubtedly his.

"I understand. Just the same, you keep a neat and clean environment for what usually is a somewhat less tidy workplace."

"Thank you. It's part of the culture around here."

"I have a feeling we might have met before."

"Yes, years ago. I was in the same grade as your son in junior and senior high school. He and I have known each other for a long time. We probably met at some school event."

"Possibly. I used to attend Warren's extra curricular activities as often as time permitted. After his mother died, I thought it important that I do so."

"How can I help you, sir?"

"I need your expertise to assess and suggest what I might do with two automobiles I have inherited from my late father. He passed away last year, and I'm just now getting down to the details of his estate. I discovered that he had stored two older automobiles sometime in the late 1940's. I really don't know why, and he didn't leave any clue in his will. I didn't know they existed until just recently."

"How were they stored?"

"In an unused area of the original factory that has been long abandoned by us. We've kept the building and property, but it's been idle for over twenty years. I had no idea that these two autos were stored there. They've been kept under covers in a dry, fairly clean area. I don't know enough about these cars to judge their value, but I think these might be somewhat unique. I'd like your opinion, then, assuming they are valuable, what it would take to bring them up to fully restored status."

"I see. Well, it's a bit unusual, but I'm as curious as you are, so why don't we go over there and I can have a look."

"Excellent. I was hoping you'd be interested. When can you find the time?"

"We could do it now, if you want. I would like to see them in daylight to get a good feel for their condition, but for the time being, let's just see if we can identify them."

"That's very good of you to just drop everything and do that. Thank you."

"Like I said, I'm as curious as you."

It took less than fifteen minutes to arrive at the old factory building. Beeson unlocked the office entrance and turned on the lights.

"This building is still serviced?" I said in surprise.

"Yes. We store old equipment and surplus materials here. I still don't know how I missed seeing these cars, but I did."

We approached two large shrouded objects and we carefully removed the cover from the first. As the car gradually took shape before me, I couldn't help a low whistle. A black car with medium blue panels was revealed.

"This is something special, sir. It's a Bugatti. Pre-war. Not the Atlantic, but likely something quite rare. We'll need an expert opinion to check out its history. This really is amazing to find something like this in our little corner of the world."

"Really! How on earth did my father come to possess something like this?"

It was a rhetorical question. I couldn't imagine how. It was time to unveil the second car. Once again, I was dumbfounded by what was revealed. I had never seen one outside of the Pebble Beach Concours. It was a Mercedes Benz 540K, I was pretty sure. The cabriolet version, with a white body and black fenders and top. The windows were down, allowing me to look inside.

"Look at the dashboard plaque, Mr. Beeson. On the right hand side."

I backed off to let him see what I saw.

"Is that a swastika?"

"Yes sir, that's exactly what it is."

The man seemed quite stunned by the revelations of the two automobiles.

We stood there in silence, just looking at the two pieces of automotive history. Both European, both pre-war, and both seemingly in excellent condition. I walked back to the Mercedes. With a bit of probing, I found the hood latches and opened it. It was as pristine inside as it was outside. I didn't open the battery box, but with the disconnected leads, I was sure the battery would have been removed. There was no point in seeing if it would start after all this time.

"This is absolutely amazing. I can't figure out how two such important cars would just be stored here without anyone saying anything."

Beeson was nodding in agreement. "What do you suggest, Mr. Keating?"

"This is out of my league, Mr. Beeson. You need an expert. Someone with DuPont credentials. I think you have a million dollar find on your hands. I'm also wondering ... when was this building built?"

"In 1946, if I remember correctly. I was virtually a newborn then. It was my father's first business venture after he returned from overseas."

"What service was you father in?"

"The army ... he was an officer in the quartermaster corps. Fairly high up, if I remember rightly. He was right near the front lines all the way into Germany. Why do you ask?"

"These are pre-war cars. I'm guessing they were 'liberated' by our troops as the war neared its end. It may be that it wasn't via completely legitimate army procedure. That's just a guess."

"I wouldn't put it past the old bugger," he said with a shake of his head and a rueful laugh. "He collected quite a few souvenirs in his time. I still have most of them. It must have been quite a challenge to get these two machines from there to here, though."

"I think that's the understatement of the year, sir."

"Do you think you can do anything with them?"

"I wouldn't dare. They are too valuable in their original condition. Again, an expert opinion would be the way to go. I can tell you that cars of this nature in their original paint and equipment, unrestored, carry the highest value. Just looking at these two, they are candidates for that class. One thing I would ask, though. I would like to be here when the evaluation is done. It would be a fantastic learning experience for me. One I couldn't otherwise hope to get."

"That's a completely reasonable request. But, if I may impose on you further. Would you please give me the names of two people you would trust to make that evaluation? I wouldn't know where to start."

"Of course. One thing, though. I think we should keep this find to ourselves. This isn't a secure location, and I'd hate for these cars to be stolen before we can get them authenticated and insured."

"Excellent. No one need know except you and I."

I nodded. I was excited about being involved in the process of validating these amazing finds. I hoped to learn a great deal if the opportunity was there.

Thursday, December 3rd, 9:10am

"Good morning, Mr. Beeson, it's Val Keating calling."

"Yes, Mr. Keating. Have you found what you were looking for?"

"Yes sir. I spoke with a gentleman in Hartford, Connecticut this morning. His credentials are top rate. When I gave him a brief outline of what we had found, I believe he was packing his bags and ordering an airline ticket before we were finished talking. He'll be here tomorrow morning and I've arranged to have him come here first. Will nine o'clock be okay with you?"

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.