Amends
Chapter 10

Copyright© 2010 by A.A. Nemo

April 30, 1867

I awoke to Ruth's smiling face looking at me over the side of the wagon where I had spent the night. By the time Tobias and I finished clearing the muck from the brick baths that had been unused for some time and cut and split the wood and heated the water for our traveling companions it was late and darkness had settled. Rather than risk drowning by falling asleep in the bath I made an adequate but less than comfortable bed in the back of the wagon. Tobias had set himself a pallet on the ground under the wagon.

"Colonel Carter." I noticed she was back to the formal but now called me "Colonel" as well.

"Widow Cummings sent me to fetch you and Tobias for breakfast..."

Coming awake, I sat up and looked at her more closely. She was wearing a long blue cotton dress which emphasized the color of her eyes. Her dark hair was braided. Bathed and wearing a new dress had produced a remarkable transition. She looked much less like an undernourished child than a slim and attractive woman. My appraisal was not lost on her and she smiled.

"I brung you a basin for your shavin too."

I saw she had set a tin basin and an enameled pitcher on a portable washstand near the wagon.

"Thank you Ruth. Please tell Mrs. Cummings that Tobias and I will be in directly."

"Yes, Mr. Carter."

I was rewarded with another smile and as she began to turn, I called out, "Ruth, you look very nice this morning."

She blushed prettily and tried to hide a giggle behind her hand as she moved toward the house.

I slowly climbed out of the wagon, my muscles protesting each move, unaccustomed to the kind of hard work we had performed the previous day. "Getting soft in your old age Jonathan?" I asked myself aloud. I had to admit that during my campaigning days I was well-muscled and lean. Had I become so soft in the two years hence that chopping wood would leave me thus? Sometime today I vowed I would have a long soak in Colonel Cumming's bathhouse. And then tonight I would take advantage of Widow Cummings' hospitality by sleeping in a bed. But first there was more work to be done.

I shook my head and smiled as I stood over the basin and looked at myself in the small mirror I used while shaving. Indeed I had become soft. Too many hours behind a desk and too few hours on horseback had contributed to the aches I felt across my shoulders and down my arms and legs. I didn't miss campaigning. For the most part it was miserable, but some days ... some few days when the sun was upon the beautiful landscape somewhere in the South, and danger seemed far away, I would let my vigilance slip and enjoy the feel of a strong horse beneath me and the comradeship of my troopers. These times were fleeting, but when I looked back upon them they made the memories of the war more bearable.

I felt Tobias' eyes upon me and turned. He was sitting up from the pallet he had formed under the shelter of the wagon.

"Good morning Tobias." I said cheerily.

He smiled in return. "Good morning suh."

His eyes showed none of the uncertainty of our initial meetings. He had finally accepted the fact that some whites could treat a black man with dignity and even friendliness.

The labors of yesterday didn't seem to affect him as he moved about hanging his bedding on the sides of the wagon. I noticed he carefully placed his shoes in the bed of the wagon.

He turned and said, "I'll see to the horses, Colonel."

Thank you, Tobias, much appreciated."

I chided myself for another lapse. I had indeed been away from campaigning too long.

The animals were sheltered in a corral which was partially roofed. It didn't provide much protection from the cold or wind but was enough shelter to keep any rain from soaking them. I looked across at the skeleton of barn across the yard and vowed to find a way to complete it.

Tobias gathered the feed bags and headed across the yard toward the animals.

Freshly shaved and hair combed I felt much better, although I was still in desperate need of a bath. That would have to wait until this evening before supper with Colonel Tillman and Miss Tremain. Perhaps I could get Ruth or Betsy to press one of my shirts and brush my spare coat and trousers.

It was a warm morning and I dispensed with a coat as I walked to the house. When I entered the bright, sunny kitchen I was met with quite a domestic scene. The children were seated at the big wooden table and Ruth was at the cast iron stove, just removing a pan of cornbread. The smell of coffee and frying ham filled the room.

Ruth turned and saw me. She blushed as I smiled at her, but she met my eyes.

"Please have a seat. We've eggs, ham and cornbread and coffee." She seemed pleased to have prepared this breakfast. Perhaps for the first time in a long while she had prepared a meal because she wanted to, not at the demand of her employer.

"Good morning Tamar. Good morning Joshua. How are you this morning?" I asked.

They, like Ruth were freshly scrubbed and dressed in their new clothes. It was an amazing transformation. I wondered if they could ever truly put the horrors of their past behind them, but for now they looked like happy children, all cares forgotten.

Tamar suppressed a giggle and Jacob just nodded, his mouth full of breakfast. I wondered if this was the first time they had ever breakfasted around a table. Certainly the amount of food before them must have been a wonder. I was pleased to see them happy. I still had no solution as to what I was going to do with my four charges, but I was determined to continue to provide for their welfare.

As I sat Ruth placed a ceramic mug filled with hot coffee in front of me, along with a large china plate almost covered with a thick slice of fried ham. The hot cornbread, fresh from the oven was added to a plate at the center of the table which only contained crumbs of cornbread. There was a crock of butter nearby, along with a pot of some kind of preserves.

I had barely started in on my breakfast when Ruth brought me three eggs direct from the large iron skillet that she handled with ease. The eggs, fried in the ham drippings, were wonderful as was the cornbread. Ruth was an excellent cook, but I knew that, having experienced her cooking while at Zion Crossroad.

She was comely, agreeable and a good cook. What more could a man want? I smiled inwardly, knowing that life and finding a partner was not as uncomplicated as that. She would make a good wife, though, but certainly not to a man like Mr. Johnson. I chided myself for these thoughts. I was much too old for Ruth, and I was still married, although I doubted Elizabeth would allow that situation much longer. To her I was a failed banker and husband. I must have frowned at those thoughts.

"Is everything satisfactory Colonel?" Ruth asked, with uncertainty in her voice.

She was certainly perceptive of my moods, I had to give her that.

I looked up at her sweet concerned face and smiled. "I think I'm getting too old to split wood. It's a young man's job for certain."

At that point Tobias walked into the kitchen, hanging his battered straw hat on the peg near the door.

He said his good-mornings and was greeted by a particularly happy look from Tamar. I grinned at Tobias, and he smiled in return. I was sure he had overheard my remarks about splitting wood.

Ruth continued, "That may be Mr. Carter, but I watched you yesterday and I believe you split as much wood as Tobias!" Her eyes seemed to twinkle with amusement.

Tobias grinned and then his eyes widened as she placed a plate before him with a slice of ham as big as the plate.

Her voice softened as she said, "We're grateful for your kindness." The others nodded.

"And I do hope you'll be able to use the bathhouse soon."

"Ah." I said swallowing a mouthful of egg and ham. "Perhaps we should have taken our breakfast on the porch!"

"I'm ... I'm sorry." She stammered with a flustered look. "I didn't mean..." Then she caught on to my jest as I couldn't keep the smile from my face. Ruth blushed and smiled as she turned back to the stove. Tobias laughed.

After another slice of ham and more cornbread and coffee, I pushed my chair back. Ruth, thank you. Your cooking is wonderful."

She beamed with pleasure as she stood near the stove. "Thank you sir, ain't really much.

Just what my mama taught me and course what I learnt from Mrs. Johnson." She frowned slightly at the mention of her mother, and the Johnsons. Life had been hard for one so young.

Perhaps it was the thought of her misfortune and her determination to overcome that caused me to ask, "Perhaps you should sample a wider array of dishes to help you with your cooking."

"Oh?' she replied, clearly with no understanding of what I meant.

"What I mean is that you should sample some dishes at an establishment that is known for its meals."

Uncomprehending she simply looked at me.

I stood and said with some formality, "Miss McKinsey, I do believe the Boarshead Inn offers such fare."

She nodded.

"And since I will journey there this evening, perhaps you would join me in sampling their highly regarded cooking."

Ruth stood for several seconds while she digested my little speech and the invitation that went with it. I could see from the blush that crept up her neck to her face that she finally comprehended that I had asked her to join me for supper that very evening.

She put her hand on the back of one of the kitchen chairs to steady herself and I watched her slowly compose herself. She answered with the same formal tone that I had used in asking.

She curtsied as she replied, "Colonel Carter, I will be honored to keep you company.

Perhaps they'll allow me to inspect their kitchen after we've supped." she added with a bright smile that told me that she had caught on to my clumsy attempt at humor.

"Perhaps so. It would be a disappointment to travel to town without trying to discover the secrets of their meals, if of course they are worth eating!"

"Indeed so sir!" she laughed. Ruth had a youthful, almost musical laugh that filled the kitchen. It was heartening to hear her laugh and see her happy.

I looked across the kitchen to see Betsy, who had most certainly watched our exchange. She smiled.

Tobias got up from the table, grinned at me and said, "I'll be getting started on the rest of the wood suh."

"Betsy, will Mrs. Cummings be joining us?"

"No suh, she takes breakfast mornings in her room. She should be down soon, and requests the Colonel make hisself available in the front parlor."

Within the hour I met Mrs. Cummings and we discussed my proposal that for now we would work her farm for our room and board. I wanted to resume my journey, but a germ of an idea had presented itself. It was too early to propose what I had in mind to Widow Cummings, but I hoped that perhaps as we worked she would see the value of having the children around her, especially Ruth and Tobias, and eventually decide to provide the home these children were seeking. I could not see them facing the vicissitudes of my continuing journey, nor could I stay. I owed Mrs. Heth a debt and I would not rest until some satisfaction was made.

"Colonel Carter, I will not insult you with false modesty. Your eyes have already told you that I am in need of assistance, and what you propose is very welcome. Your charges are most agreeable and appear hard-working. You and they are most welcome to stay as long as you wish."

"Thank you Mrs. Cummings. I will ensure that your trust in us is not misplaced."

Betsy joined us and we discussed all those things required to bring the neglected farm back to life. Mrs. Cummings seemed relieved when I told her of my boyhood and my familiarity with all the details that would ensure success. It was decided we would ask Ruth to take on the cooking responsibilities and that Tobias and I would handle the planting. We two good strong mules and the children could help set the seed.

The reconstruction of the barn was a more thorny issue.

"Colonel Carter, I simply cannot allow you that kind of expense. What you have already proposed will more than compensate for my providing accommodations for you and your charges."

"Ma'am, perhaps we can strike a bargain. I will make the expense of the reconstructed barn a loan against the future crops. You have fertile land here and I am certain that in years past it produced a bounty."

She sat silent in the big parlor chair as she considered my offer.

"You are correct sir. This land has produced crops in abundance and with the assistance of your little band I expect it will again."

She paused, looking out the window most likely toward the family plot that held the remains of Colonel Cummings. Perhaps she was seeking guidance.

"I will accept your offer but I insist our agreement be in writing. I assure you Colonel Carter, not for lack of trust in you. It is only to clarify that ours is a business proposition, not one based on mendacity."

I could see no reasonable way of dissuading her so I agreed and within the hour Tobias and I were sharing the wagon seat on our way to Charlottesville.

Our first stop was the bank.

It had an impressive portico façade and the interior contained enough marble to carve the statues of ancient Rome. It would not have been out of place in New York. Nor, but for his soft southern accent would have been the fussy little man who greeted me as I entered. His face contained none of a banker's neutrality as he looked at me. In New York I had learned from Mr. Ross that you should never judge a book by its cover or a wealthy depositor by his accoutrements. Many a rich man hid his wealth and you would take no more notice of him on the street than you would some vendor of items that held no interest. Of course this affectation was also a defense against the pickpockets and cutpurses that roomed the streets of any metropolis.

"Good morning sir." He said it as if it pained him to be polite to one dressed as I was, work trousers, scuffed boots, a coat that had not been properly brushed and of course my black hat, which I had removed. I had foregone wearing my pistol but my pocket revolver rested inside my coat. These were not the times for a man to go about unarmed.

He did not offer any other of the customary questions about assistance. He seemed to hope I would disappear as quietly and quickly as I had appeared. I didn't have time for his rudeness but his bank was the one recommended by Widow Cummings so I pressed on.

"Sir, I am Jonathon Carter of New York, and I have business to transact."

I said it loud enough for the staff and customers to hear.

He paled slightly, now understanding that I was not going to retreat, and of course I had confirmed I was a Yankee.

"Is there somewhere we can speak in private, or is it the custom of this bank that financial transactions are conducted in public?"

At that point a tall slim older man with silver hair approached. I caught a glimpse of relief and perhaps fear in the eyes of the little man who stood shifting from foot to foot in front of me. Ah, I thought, here is the owner or manager - someone with authority and also someone who understood certainly from experience that any person who walks through the door could be a customer.

"Sir, I am Henry Jenkins, the owner of this bank. Please come with me. He ushered me to his office near the back and after the offer of a whiskey, declined, and a cigar, accepted he said, "How may I assist you sir?"

From inside my coat I extracted a leather folder and I brought from it a letter of introduction from my bank in New York, along with a letter of credit. Not Ross Bank of course, but another well known commercial bank. I'd had an account there for years for no other reason than I feared having all my eggs in one basket and after the death of Abner Ross I had taken the precaution of moving more of my assets there. Considering what had happened it was a prescient act indeed.

Jenkins examined the documents carefully. His face gave away nothing. I should never play poker with this man I vowed silently.

"And based on these documents you would like to establish an account with this bank Mr.

Cater?"

"Yes sir, that is correct. I have entered into a business arrangement with the widow of Colonel Cummings. I and my companions will assist her with her farm. To do so we will need a certain amount of capital."

"And Mr. Carter, do you intend to stay long?"

"Sir, I have urgent business near Savannah but I will be here for long enough to assist Mrs.

Cummings in any manner required. To begin she must have a barn and the implements to begin the planting. I do intend to visit here frequently."

"I see," he said. His tone told me he had more questions, but he was a business man who recognized another business man and he saw a way to make a profit.

"I would be honored to help you sir. We will send a telegram to your bank post haste. We should have a response by tomorrow or the next day at the latest."

"Thank you Mr. Jenkins."

"Now Mr. Carter, do you need ready cash?"

"Thank you no Mr. Jenkins. Your offer is a generous one but I have enough for our needs for the present."

"Welcome to Charlottesville Mr. Carter. I hope we can continue to do business. Do you have plans for supper? My wife sets the best table in Charlottesville, and we'd be honored to make your acquaintance."

"I must decline sir, for I am already engaged for supper with Constable Tillman."

He raised his eyebrows in surprise.

"I met then Colonel Tillman, albeit briefly, at the conclusion of the late war, and was most surprised to see him again."

Suddenly Jenkins guffawed.

"You're the man who put that puffed up Tremain in his place at the mercantile!" It was not a question. "And from what I heard threatened to shoot him for telling you to leave his establishment! Mr. Carter, it is indeed my pleasure to make your acquaintance." He stood and reached across his desk and shook my hand.

"Wait until I tell my wife! Perhaps you will join us tomorrow evening around six? Unless of course you've been forced to flee for having shot poor Mr. Tremain!" He laughed again.

"I would be honored to join you tomorrow and I look forward to meeting Mrs. Jenkins."

"I hope you remain in our town for a long time Mr. Carter. It's a pleasure to see a new face now and again and anyone who can sup with Colonel Tillman and put that ass Tremain in his place is welcome any time."

We walked out of his office to the astonished face of Blacksbury, who was probably on the verge of calling the authorities when we went into Jenkins's office. It would have been amusing to see Tillman again under those circumstances. Constable Tillman was obviously highly regarded in Charlottesville. I wondered if Jenkins had an eligible daughter too.

As I walked out of the bank I mused that Charlottesville, despite the University and the obvious wealth and the former home of our third President, was still a small town where gossip traveled faster than a cannon ball.

"Widow Cummings place, eh?" asked a large dark haired man who was the proprietor of the saw mill as we walked through his neatly kept yard surveying his stock of lumber.

"I've set some dry aside for local use, those fellers in Richmond are buying up every stick it seems. Don't seem to matter whether its dry or not. Paying good money too." That comment wasn't lost on me. I expected to pay a premium since I'd seen the wagons loaded with fresh cut wood headed Richmond way.

We agreed on what I considered a fair price. He had provided the lumber for the existing frame so he knew exactly what additional wood was necessary to complete the barn. He also agreed to send reliable workmen who could start tomorrow. They would come equipped with the tools and the kegs of nails required. I also purchased some roofing materials, which were loaded onto the wagon.

Tobias and I lunched on the banks of the river that powered the mill. The warm sun was most welcome as we ate the sandwiches prepared by Ruth. She had also included some of the cornbread from breakfast. Ruth was a treasure indeed.

"Suh, I expect you'll be movin' on once the crops is planted."

I watched the slow moving water as he went on. "I knows you got sumtin to do."

I simply nodded. I had not told any of my charges that I would leave and if it was obvious to Tobias it had to be to Ruth also.

"Then suh, I hope you don't mind if I speak to Missus Cummings about stayin' on."

"Tobias, I believe Mrs. Cummings would be delighted to have you stay."

 
There is more of this chapter...

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.