Alif - Cover

Alif

Copyright© 2010 by Bradley Stoke

Chapter 24

Ana opened the door to the foyer and looked around her. Amongst the usual selection of middle-aged men hovering around was a single young lady, dressed in leather jacket and trousers, with short blue hair and hoop-like earrings dangling down each side of her round-cheeked face. It could only be Azhnia, but Ana needed to go through the motions. She approached the prostitute at the reception desk, thanked her for her call and waved to Azhnia who raised her eyebrow with some surprise, but nonetheless waved back with an expression of recognition that was totally feigned. Ana reflected with regret that to Azhnia, she must have looked just the same as all the other prostitutes in her tight revealing clothes and thick pasting of makeup.

Ana strolled up to Azhnia, and greeted her with a theatrical show of familiar amiability. She could see Azhnia's eyes examine her from eyeliner to high heels: clearly disturbed by the blatancy of her appearance. Ana had never seen a woman dressed like Azhnia before: the nearest to her in appearance was Zabba when not at work, but Zabba's appearance was still within the parameters of dress acceptable in the City of Blad. Azhnia's appearance was no more confrontational than Zabba's but it suggested a self-confidence rare in Alif women.

Ana sat next to Azhnia, who stared at her. When she spoke, her voice was somehow more languid and relaxed than normal for Alif; and the vowels appeared contorted and tortured to her ears. Nobody could ever mistake Azhnia as a native to Alif however fluently she spoke the same language. "Well, Ana, isn't it? How're you hanging? 'Sreal neat to see ya. 'N' this's where you work? 'Sreal weird! Quite freaky, in fact. You guys're in the weirdest setup I could ever imagine!"

"Don't you have brothels in Gharab?"

"Yeh! Sure we do. Not like this though. Not that I've ever been inside one, y'know. Our brothels are all private. The state's got nothing to do with them. But in Alif near everything's nationalised, so I s'pose there's nothing so weird about brothels being nationalised 'n'all! I just never thought it'd be like this somehow. It's sort of almost like a hotel foyer here, isn't it? You kind of expect bellboys and bureaux de changes, don't you?"

Ana wasn't sure she really understood everything Azhnia was saying, but she nodded her head in assent. "Are you living in Blad?"

"Yeh. Sure I do. I got a job working in a café. Not a waitress, though. They said it wouldn't be right for the customers to see me. They'd be put off their coffees! Behind the counter. It doesn't pay very well, but it means I don't have to spend all my savings in one go. And they give me a room above the café. It's real tiny, but it's better than nothing I s'pose! You live here do you?"

"In the brothel?"

"Yeh. Like Binta and Ferhana. You live here?"

Ana raised her eyebrows. "No, thank goodness. I live in Jadid."

"Jadid? That's a real nice quarter, that is. But Ferhana said you, like, had your own room in the Brothel where we'd be going and meet Binta."

"Yes, that's so. But it's not my home. It's just where I work. Shall we go there?"

"Oh yeh. Sure! Yeh. Let's go then."

Ana escorted Azhnia past the reception desk to the door she'd come through, tottering on her heels while Azhnia followed behind in considerably more comfort in her rubber-soled boots. She led the way along corridors and up staircases to her room which was in one of the smarter wings of the Brothel reserved for Alphas and prostitutes like her who were accorded higher status for their other services to the Brothel. Azhnia looked around her with wonderment at the rows of doors and the lights above each one of them. A prostitute passed by, escorting a small balding man in an ill-fitting suit, and Azhnia's eyes followed them. She was clearly fascinated by all that she saw, but made no comment. They soon reached Ana's room, the sight of whose door sent a shiver of anxiety down Ana's spine. She hated it, however well-decorated it might be and however comfortable the bed. It was a room she only ever normally visited when she was about to see a client, and the association with all those hateful, loathsome encounters always left a very uncomfortable feeling in the back of her throat.

"This is it!" announced Ana, pushing open the door and revealing the bed, armchair and washbasin. "This is where I work."

"Where's Binta?"

"She'll be along soon," Ana said. She indicated the bed. "Sit there. I'll sit on the chair, if you don't mind." She hated the memories connected with the bed. It was with some reluctance that she'd agreed to return to the room after her working day. It was normally somewhere she was happy to leave and the bed for all its apparent luxury was more like a soft-matressed torture rack than somewhere to sleep.

"This is a real neat room!" said Azhnia approvingly. "It's real big. Bigger than my bedsit, I can tell you! Can't say much for the choice of décor: these reds and pinks. It's like a real boudoir. It's not your taste, is it?"

"All the rooms are decorated much like this. We don't have much say in how it's done. It's what the clients want and expect."

"Is this where you, like, have sex with them, is it?"

Ana ignored the question. She had no wish to discuss that aspect of her working life with anyone. Azhnia was more persistent.

"Ferhana says it's, like, real awful what she has to do. She really hates it. It's something you don't like, neither, isn't it?"

Ana nodded. She tried to change the subject. "Mostly, I work as a secretary..."

"Yeh, Ferhana said in her letters. She said it was real weird, y'know, you working in this kind of joint. I thought it was real weird that anyone like works in a Brothel at other things than being a like prostitute. You sort of think that that's all that ever happens here, but I reckon there's gotta be some admin and all, hasn't there? And you got to know Ferhana and Binta as a secretary, didn't you?"

"That's right," sniffed Ana.

She studied Azhnia. She was clearly nervous, despite her show of self-assurance. Was it because she was anticipating meeting Binta or was it because she was in a place like the Brothel? She glanced at the mirror. She hoped that nothing would be recorded of their conversation, but she reflected that with the enormous volume of recorded material being collected that as long as what was seen was of no visual significance then everything said would probably never be scrutinised. She looked back at Azhnia.

"Do you like living in Alif?"

"What a question! Yeh, it's all right. I've made some real good friends here. It's got some real neat countryside. I s'pose I must like it. I've been to plenty of other countries too, and a lot of them are pretty neat too. But I keep coming back here. I don't really know why, but I s'pose the friends I've made here must be one good reason. Friends like Binta and Ferhana. And friends are real important, y'know. Don't you think?"

"Yes, very important," agreed Ana.

There was a knock at the door. Ana jumped back with alarm, her face whitening as she contemplated the fact that it must mean that Binta had arrived. She had rehearsed and re-rehearsed this moment for so long: what she would say, the bitterness that she felt, the betrayal of her love that Binta had been party to, the worries and anxieties that had haunted her in the last few months. As the door opened and Binta entered, seeming so much smaller and more humble than she'd remembered, all the rehearsed lines were discarded. She broke into a sad but broad grin. She hadn't realised how much she had been longing to see Binta again.

"Hiya, sweetie!" greeted Azhnia. "How're you hanging? The bastards not getting you down, are they?"

Binta hovered by the door and nodded in reply. Like Ana she seemed to have lost her voice. She leaned an arm against the door, gripping its edge with her fingers, and stared straight into Ana's eyes. Then she returned the grin and ran straight to Ana, leaning down on the floor by her stockinged feet, grasping her arms in her hands and staring up at Ana with a look of pleading and shame.

"Oh! Ana! I've missed you! I've missed you so much! I've been so worried that you wouldn't talk to me ever again. So worried now that you ... that you ... I thought I'd lost you forever! I haven't, have I? Tell me that I haven't! Tell me that all will be the same again!"

Ana looked down at her lover, smiling broadly and crying at the same time. "I still love you, Binta! I will always love you! All I want is for us to be together again. Please believe me!"

"Ferhana told me about the videos. How you found out about me and her. How can you ever forgive me? What can I do to convince you that it is you? Only you that I love! Please please forgive me! And how you must have suffered these last months! Those horrid clothes you wear. The suffering you must have been through!"

In Ana's rehearsed script this was to be the occasion in which she would now spell out exactly the full gruesome and unpalatable details of her life as a prostitute - part-time, maybe, but a prostitute all the same. She was to tell Binta about the recurrent humiliations met upon her by the Director and his never-ceasing reminders of the illegal activity with Binta which had entrapped her in this way. In her mind's eye, this script was now crumpled up and thrown away into the waste bin at the corner generally intended to receive paper tissues.

"Oh, Binta!" she said with a deep sigh. "None of that matters. Nothing matters! All that is at all important is that we be together again!"

Binta smiled sadly, and buried her head on the thin strip of black skirt that intervened between the nylon of her stockings and the bare flesh of her midriff. Her arms wrapped themselves around Ana's waist and her breasts nuzzled against her knees and thighs.

"Oh, Ana! I love you. I love you. I haven't been able to eat. I haven't been able to sleep. My life is a misery, punctuated by the nightmare of the clients and the few pleasures that my garden affords me. Oh please, Ana! You do forgive me, don't you? It will be like it was before again, won't it!"

Ana stroked Binta's long hair as it spread out over her shoulders and onto Ana's thighs and outward over the pile of the carpet. She let a finger roam around her ear and onto Binta's cheek. If only it could be like it was before, she thought, but now that she was under the almost constant supervision of Khedra and the Director it could never again be as free or natural. She would always fear reprisals which could affect both herself and Binta.

"We-ell!" exclaimed Azhnia, in a long drawn-out whine. "I didn't expect this, Binta sweetie. I really thought it was me who'd come to see you. I didn't know that it was gonna be like some lovers' reunion!"

Binta turned around to face Azhnia, leaning an arm on Ana's thigh with a trail of tears running down her cheek. "Oh, Azhnia! I'm so sorry! I wasn't thinking. It was just that..."

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.