Just My Luck - Cover

Just My Luck

Copyright© 2010 by Barneyr

Chapter 16

The day has finally arrived, today is bonding day. We have refrained from any sex for the past week, mainly because we have been so busy, but also so that the anticipation would be there as well.

We have gathered in the back yard between the two wings of the house. Our witnesses and friends; Don and Barb Lang, Roger and Carolyn Spillane, Mike Stevens, Sheldon and Shirley Dresser, Thomas and Helen Kidd, and Henry and Margaret Kidd sat on folding chairs in a semi-circle behind us. We three, Tammy, me and Nicole are kneeling facing Sam Butternut, who is dressed in his Native Apache apparel. He stands before us and reads the following:

"Oh, Great Spirit, whose voice I hear in the wind,
whose breath gives life to all the world.
Hear us; we need your strength and wisdom.

Let us walk in beauty, and make our eyes ever
behold the red and purple sunset.

Make our hands respect the things you have made
and our ears sharp to hear your voice.
Make us wise so that we may understand
the things you have taught our people.
Help us to remain calm and strong in the
face of all that comes towards us.

Let us learn the lessons you have hidden
in every leaf and rock.
Help us seek pure thoughts and act with the
intention of helping others.
Help us find compassion without empathy
overwhelming us.

We seek strength, not to be greater than our brother, or sister
but to fight our greatest enemy - ourselves.
Make us always ready to come to you with clean hands
and straight eyes.
So when life fades, as the fading sunset,
our spirit may come to you without shame.

Then we repeat our vows as we each say to each other:

"From this day forward I promise you these things.
I will laugh with you in times of joy and comfort you in times of sorrow.
I will share in your dreams, and support you as you strive to achieve your goals.
I will listen to you with compassion and understanding, and speak to you with encouragement.
I will remain faithful to our vows for better or for worse, in times of sickness and health.
You are my best friend and I will love and respect you always."

We are then each given a ring from Sam and he asks that we repeat the following:

"I give you this ring as a symbol of my love.
As it encircles your finger,
may it remind you always that you are surrounded
by my enduring love."

Our first responses are: "I will wear it gladly. Whenever I look at it, I will remember this joyous day and the vows we've made."

Then we repeat: "Because this ring is perfectly symmetrical, it signifies the perfection of true love. As I place it on your finger, I give you all that I am and ever hope to be."

Our responses are: "Because this ring has no end or beginning, it signifies the continuation of true love. As it is placed it on my finger, I will give you all that I am and ever hope to be."

Now Sam asks for all to stand and he says:

"Now you will feel no rain, for each of you will be shelter for the other.
Now you will feel no cold, for each of you will be warmth to the other.
Now there will be no loneliness, for each of you will be companion to the other.
Now you are three persons, but there is only one life before you.
May beauty surround you three in the journey ahead and through all the years,
May happiness be your companion and your days together be good and long upon the earth."

The ceremony is over, but everyone still stands and as our echoes die in the backyard, we hear thunder rumble in the clouds and a ray of sunshine envelopes the three of us as we stand and turn to face our guests. Sam says one last thing, "The Great Spirit has looked upon your union and has blessed it with his light, that you may forever walk along in warmth and light. He has truly blessed this union."

Everyone was in awe as after Sam spoke, the ray of sunshine opened to encompass us all. It was such a spectacular scene, we all had tears in our eyes. I asked Sam, how he had done that? He looked at me and said, "I did nothing, it was your ceremony, not mine, I just read what we had decided on, the rest was in the hands of the Great Spirit. I am just glad that we have this on film so it can be seen again and again by those who have been blessed this day. I have never seen such a reaction to a bonding or a wedding before in my entire life. Truly someone looks after you three."

"Sam, I know who, but I suspect a great spirit does indeed look after me and those around me. I have had much hardship in my life and yet I have had great joy too. I have made a new friend in you and of all the people here today. Each in their own way, are special to me. You have allowed me to see and to actively seek out my roots and the heritage I have come from. Each of the others has helped me become the person I am today. But I have also touched each of their lives as they have touched mine. Thank you for being a friend. If you ever need me, call and I will come. That is a promise I make to you this day, the happiest of my days, so far."

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.