Just My Luck
Chapter 14

Copyright© 2010 by Barneyr

"OK, you two, we need to get a move on, we are scheduled in the judge's chambers at 11 AM this morning for a marriage ceremony. No back talk and don't worry about a thing. I talked to Sam and he is going to backdate the marriage a month. He is extremely pissed about all of this that is happening to Tammy. He is also issuing an injunction so that her father cannot take her from the state. Now you two, we need to get dressed for the wedding and be quick about it. And Tam, I am not upset about you getting to marry Bob. I love you too and we are sisters where it counts, so things will work out. Now let's get moving."

"Yes, Boss," came out of my mouth before I realized it, but the really funny thing was that Tammy and I said it at the same time. Nicole just stood there looking at us as if to say, "And you two are still sitting there, I said move!"

So we moved. We were dressed and in Nicole's car before twenty minutes were up. She drove into Dallas and we were at the county courthouse about fifteen minutes early. There we met the Honorable Sam Wainwright, county judge, civil court of law. He started by having his clerk get all the pertinent information for the license and the injunction. Then he looked at us and said, "Nicky explained to me what you think is going to happen tonight. I am appalled that something like this can still happen in this country. But I have run across religious sects before, and they are not always rational in what they believe. This is America, and we allow that type of religious freedom because that is what the founding fathers were running from, religious persecution. Therefore I am fudging a little and backdating your license and certificate. Now, as far as anyone knows, you two have been married for a month now. I do assume that the marriage has been consummated, therefore it cannot be annulled. Now, do you, Robert Harlan Rothman, take Tamera Louise Fields as your lawfully wedded wife?"

"I certainly do, Your Honor."

And do you, Tamera Louise Fields, take Robert Harlan Rothman as your lawfully wedded husband?"

"I do, Your Honor."

"Then you are married. You may kiss the bride. I'm sure that you will want the full vows at a later time, but I am pressed for time right now, I hope you understand. Bob, Tamera, Nicky, I wish you all the best in your relationship. Yes, I know all about the three of you being a triad. I think your dad told me that is what you call it, Nicky. Anyway I do wish you the best and, Nicky, please call me and let me know how tonight turns out. Bob, that was an excellent idea you had about negotiating for a bride's price for Tamera. You are getting a very smart man there, Tamera. You too. Nicky. I really do wish I could marry you two also. Maybe later, hum, I might have something up my sleeve for that, I'll let you know later. I will have to do some research first."

We said our goodbyes, I paid the clerk for the license and marriage, and made sure she had all our cell numbers and an e-mail address. We left the courthouse and celebrated by eating at a fast food place as we had lots of things to do before tonight. I took the girls shopping and bought them some dark somber clothes, buttoned to the neck and almost to their toes, black, low, enclosed shoes, and a new ring for Tammy and me. Well, they were actually the rings I had purchased for the three of us, but just Tammy and I wore them. We would take them off as soon as Tammy's father left back for Iowa.

I checked with the airlines and Mr. Fields and a party of three would be leaving at 9:55 AM for Cedar Rapids. I asked about arrival times from there today and they said the arrival would be at 4:55 PM and that the flight was on time so far. We got home in time for the limo to pick us up and take us to the airport. I had the girls there in the car with me, and sent the driver into the airport with a sign that said "Fields Party" on it. About fifteen minutes later, the limo driver came out carrying two bags, with three fairly short men following behind him. I exited the vehicle and went to greet the three men. Tammy's father, Paul, was about 5-10, 180 lbs, and muscled. His sons, who I later learned were Michael and John, were both in their late twenties and both about 5-8, 160 lbs, and fit. I greeted Paul saying, "Hello, Mr. Fields, I am Robert Harlan Rothman, your daughter's husband, welcome to Texas, Sir."

"What do you mean her husband; I never gave her permission to marry. We'll see about this!" and he entered the vehicle, he started in on Tammy yelling and screaming at her. I grabbed the collar of the jacket Mr. Fields was wearing and hauled him back out of the car. I set him on the ground and said right in his face, "YOU DO NOT TALK to MY woman in THAT tone, Sir. If THAT is the manner in which this visit is going to go, then I suggest you get your sorry ass back on that airplane and hightail it back to the hole you crawled out of."

Both boys looked at me like they were ready to fight. That's when the limo driver came back from the trunk with their bags and dropped them at the feet of the boys. I picked this limo service particularly because they also provide bodyguard service as well. The driver was about 6' 6" tall and probably weighed 270 lbs. I think the boys decided right away they would stay out of this fight.

"How dare you lay a hand on me, you thieving, no good, son of a bitch!"

About this time one of DFW's finest came walking up and asked very politely, "Is there some trouble here, Mr. Rothman?"

You see he was a friend and happened to have the DFW beat. He knew me from all the time I came through here on flying to my jobs. We had talked several times when I was waiting for a flight.

"No, Sergeant Collins, I believe that this man was about to apologize to me and my wife for his outburst, weren't you MR. Fields," I said, as I let his collar go.

Sergeant Collins was pretty much built like I am, only 6' 3" and maybe a few pounds leaner, but he was fast and tough. I had helped him one time with a purse snatcher he was running down. I tripped the guy as he came by me, picked him up and held him until Bert Collins could catch up. He was about four steps behind the snatcher and was gaining when I tripped him up.

Mr. Fields said in a low voice, "I'm sorry I yelled at you, Mr. Rothman, I believe I owe your wife an apology too, and he stepped into the limo and sat quietly in a far seat. I nodded to the driver and he calmly picked up the bags, deposited them into the trunk and held the door for the two boys to get in front with him. The ride to the restaurant was quiet, almost too quiet. I said we would be having a quiet meal where we could discuss matters in private. This put Mr. Fields somewhat at ease, but I think that he got the impression at the restaurant I owned the place. Well, in fact, I did own a part of it. We were greeted like owners, and shown to the private room where water, coffee, and wine were waiting, along with a waitress. We ordered and had small talk, like 'how was the flight.' "I seem to remember that there are several stops coming south, but it should be a straight shot going north."

Mr. Fields said it was alright, but both boys were a little antsy. I must admit the girls were really being very good, as they sat with their hands in their laps with downcast eyes, and said nothing. John then spoke to Tammy, "Tamera, are you treated well by this man?"

Tammy looked at me and I nodded, and she said a simple, 'Yes," then she looked down again. I promised myself that I would give both of them anything they ever wanted if this night would work out for us. They were both amazing. I actually thought we could pull this off. I concentrated on Mr. Fields now. I somehow sensed that he had come here to ask for $100,000 for her, or he would take her back home and sell her to a neighboring farmer for a thirty acre plot that was next to his own farm. Now he had upped his ante to a five-hundred thousand. Hell, I would have paid him a couple of million if it meant that he would leave us alone. But I think I can get Tammy for about half that if I work my cards right. Our meals came about then and we were busy eating. The girls were served last, with me first. It seems my phone calls this afternoon while we were shopping were bearing fruit. After the meal, I said, "Now down to business, exactly why is it that are you here, and what will it take to make you leave, Mr. Fields?"

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.