Runner
Epilogue

Copyright© 2010 by Monbade

Mathew:
July 4th:
One year after the plaque:

I watched as the fireworks detonated above the city of Driggs, Idaho. My wives were sitting around me as the town celebrated its independence day. Around the park were hundreds of survivors of the worst disaster the country ... no, the world ... had ever seen. The casualty count was in the billions, as only three in ten survived the plague. The Middle East, China, and the South East Asian countries had been mostly wiped out. The United States had spent the last nine months ferrying its equipment home, bringing ships into port and gathering the survivors together. Allied warships had been towed to the US ports and stored as had ships of other Navies like China's and Russia's ballistic missile submarine fleets.

Special Forces had removed as many nuclear missiles and bombs, from other countries, as could be found and stored them in Area 51, to be destroyed later. For the first time since the Second World War, most of the nuclear warheads in the world, were now in American hands.

"Mister Davis, I have the latest poll results for the state. Sir, as of ten-thirty, you are ahead in the vote for governor by sixteen percent. How does it feel to be the new governor of the great state of Idaho?" the reporter asked.

I almost dropped my glass in shock.

Looking at the reporter from the Boston Globe, I said, "I am humbled. I would have never believed a former special forces solider, who was kicked out of the Army for ignoring stupid orders, to be elected. Hell, I was living in Florida where I almost got my ass shot off, and running for my life here ... Ouch!"

I looked at Ana and smiled as she shook her head.

"Sorry, love. Mister reporter. As I was saying I am humbled that the people of the great state of Idaho think I can do a good job as their Governor. To the people, I swear I will do the best job I can. If I don't, you can let all my wives whip me with switches. And you can quote that."

"We will, Governor Davis. As you know, General Willis has been appointed head of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. He says that we should have a new Senate and House of Representatives by the end of the year, and a new president by July Fourth of next year. I've heard a rumor that Marylyn Whitman is going to run. Any comment, since she is your mother in law?"

"She is a tough old woman. Don't cross her! If she says something, report what she says ... don't try to psychoanalyze it. She means what she says," I replied, and then added, "Now if you will excuse me, I need to get my ladies home to our children.

We crossed to the mansion that was the former Mayor's house, and went inside to our new lives.

Here ends the tale of Runner. I hope you enjoyed it.

Monbade

First Edit by Bill Lewis
Second Edit by Deenara2000
Final Edit by TeNderLoin

 
There is more of this chapter...

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.